Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Drill + Impact combo

Posted 19th Jun
Hi guys,

(I’m a bit of a noob so sorry in advance)

I’m looking for a decent drill set and an impact driver wrench(mainly to take the wheel bolts off/on my car)

I’ve seen this on B&Q: diy.com/departments/black-decker-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack-2-batteries-bck25s2s-gb/5035048713068_BQ.prd

Is this any good?? 155nm is more than plenty for doing wheel bolts

Also this might sound stupid, but how would I get a socket on the end of the impact driver??
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Thought I’d mention I don’t plan on doing any really serious work.. just some odd jobs around the house
If wheel nuts are very tight just loop a hefty spanner over the end of the Wheel brace for extra leverage and use your foot to loosen.
Uridium19/06/2020 12:15

If wheel nuts are very tight just loop a hefty spanner over the end of the …If wheel nuts are very tight just loop a hefty spanner over the end of the Wheel brace for extra leverage and use your foot to loosen.

I don’t really have that sort of issue I just find it’s a pain to undo all of the bolts by hand.. thought an impact would be a useful tool to have

I’m just lazy really
Per above I would loosen wheel nuts with a big spanner first. Most drills have a clutch that kicks in to prevent too much torque going into YOU ( i.e. not the nut!).... some SDS drills are powerful enough to break your wrist.
You need a impact wrench not a impact driver.
johnleverton19/06/2020 12:32

You need a impact wrench not a impact driver.

Thanks for that.. that’s exactly the sort of thing I mean when I say I’m a noob

Had no idea there was a difference between the two
wheel bolts, it done up by a nob at a garage can be far too tight, also corrosion etc can raise the break off torque, a 1/4" hex driver can undo them, if powerful enough, but an impact wrench is more appropriate. My wrench is only a bit more powerful than my much newer impact driver, but its easy to snap the 1/4" hex to 1/2" adapters, so the wrench is still the correct tool as its 1/2" built in.
Yes the driver is for screw etc easy mistake
Buy a torque wrench too to make sure wheel blots are done up to manufacturers speciation.
Wadda19/06/2020 16:48

Buy a torque wrench too to make sure wheel blots are done up to …Buy a torque wrench too to make sure wheel blots are done up to manufacturers speciation.

Would a torque stick work? Or is that not accurate enough
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants