Drill + Router

Posted 22nd Jun 2020
I'm looking to buy a Combi drill + Router for some woodworking projects. Any recommendations/deals?

I am considering splurging on milwaukee as they should be future proof for whatever projects come up (potentially a small extension) and also it's a similar price to makita for the router anyway.

I can't find a set/kit that includes drill+router so thinking will buy individually, drill+impact sets are common but I think I can manage without a impact as the milwaukee m18 fuel has 135nm tourqe!

Any advice appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
I’d say Milwaukee, DeWalt or Bosch professional range and you’ll not go far wrong. I don’t think Makita are what they used to be.

As you say, you’ll not get a drill / router combo, as there isn’t really a market for such a package.
FYI Just seen a great Ryobi router on here for £46 instore @ Homebase
I'd go with ryobi. Loads of tools that battery will fit and semi pro.
I've got a 10.8v Makita impact driver and drill. Put in 1000s of screws over last 14 years and cost me £180 with 3 batteries. It's a mystery to me why people buy top of the range kit capable of extraordinary high-powered operations. Not only that, but they are not small and light. I've put 6 inch screws through roof joists with little impact and after a few I had to stop as got red hot, so not ideal if doing jobs like that but most of the time im working on doors, fitting plasterboard and skirting. It's like people buying an f1 racing car to go shopping. It's ridiculous, especially if your not used to using a powerful impact. Milwaukee is a sub-brand of Ryobi anyway. Check it out but be sensible.
Diggsy22/06/2020 23:03

I’d say Milwaukee, DeWalt or Bosch professional range and you’ll not go far …I’d say Milwaukee, DeWalt or Bosch professional range and you’ll not go far wrong. I don’t think Makita are what they used to be.As you say, you’ll not get a drill / router combo, as there isn’t really a market for such a package.

I agree with this, makita routers and radios are still awesome though.

To the Op, Milwaukee tools are great, me and fellow fitters are all using Milwaukee drills now as the the batteries are staggeringly good. As for routers, in our workshop we have 1/2 inch hitatchi, Bosch, makita and trend. All superb. For 1/4 inch we have Makitas. They are brilliant. Personally, if you plan on doing kitchen worktops then you will need a 1/2 and I’d go for an older second hand makita (3612c) to keep costs down, for a 1/4 inch depending on budget I’d go for a baby makita router or dewalt, probably cordless if budget allowed for it
Thanks so much for all your advice.
Looking into a bigger ryobi set vs fewer milwaukee
Post a comment
@
    Text