Drilling advice

Found 13th Jul
I want to drill some holes in the wall of my flat to hang pictures etc and im struggling but I dont know why. I bought a cheap drill from Ikea (i know i know) but I didnt really want to drop 100's on a drill when I wont use it that much. The weird thing is I hanged one picture and it was fine the drilling was easy. But I drilled a hole maybe 10-15 cm next to the picture and half way in the drill isn't going anymore. I dont get why it worked not too far from it. Also another situation I drilled a guitar holder in my study room, and tried to drill another one on another wall and I can't make a big enough hole.
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Hey, don't knock the drill it is probably the wall, some flats were built with reinforced concrete and some with concrete covered steel, so may need a has drill bit to get through OR it could be that the drill bit your using is just too big so if poss start with a small bit and work up, hope it helps
You need to know what you are drilling into if you are going to select the right bit.
How is the wall constructed?
Is it a hammer drill
as per previous post there be me a reinforced concrete or even lintel (especially if it is near the windows or openings). I find an SDS drill does the job pretty easily, if you borrow from someone.
What you drilling into? If brick or block buy a good masonry drill as that will get you in. Mark the depth with a little tape around shaft. Also don't go with the flat out rpm. Tickle the trigger or set to slower speed for masonry. Red plugs? Hole size 5.5mm for narrow screws or 6mm for thicker screws with red plugs. You need to get a Dewalt Extreme Masonry Drill Bit. I use a little 10.8volt makita with no hammer for many jobs including masonry. I do own sds and 18volt hammer drills but most smaller drilling jobs I don't need the power, like for pictures. It's a mistake to go all out on high speed with masonry with a naff drill bit. You can buy just the one drill bit from screwfix and its fine to use an sds drill bit in a none sds drill chuck. I do all the time. Fisher Red and yellow plugs are brilliant. Harder plastic and don't have the flange head so push in nicely. That's all I ever use. 5mm drill for yellow plugs. That's your Saturday sorted. Report how it goes
Edited by: "wayners" 13th Jul
Nail. Hammer. Cheaper to buy and easier to discreetly fill / repaint when leaving.
You haven’t hit wood behind a stud wall? Masonry drill won’t do anything.
If it is picture you are hanging, consider 3M stripe instead.
amazon.co.uk/Com…rch
This can happen if you hit a power cable or water/gas pipe- the drill can stick in the metal.

Otherwise buy good quality drill bits - thats the most important thing.
You have know what you are drilling into, brick or board etc and if brick remember the space between the brick is mortor and softer to drill. Some wall is older house can be a nightmare, one of my house I gave up trying to drill the perfect hole. So what did was drill holes I knew would be too big for the rawplug, I then push the rawplugs in will filler and left it over night. Next morning perfect hole to screw into :-)

You can also use glue now to put pictures up, just a dab of Hard as nails, let it set hang the picture on that :-) Hard as nail is great, I've hung radiators with that.
AndyRoyd1 h, 2 m ago

Nail. Hammer. Cheaper to buy and easier to discreetly fill / repaint when …Nail. Hammer. Cheaper to buy and easier to discreetly fill / repaint when leaving.

But only works if the walls are soft enough. Plenty of types of brick and concrete will just cause you to bend a lot of nails trying to get one in, and if it's steel then you can forget about it entirely.

Looking at the ikea drills they're all cordless models so they won't have a great deal of power, not as much as corded drills at the same price, even if you went for the hammer drill model.
ikea.com/gb/…ill

Whether that matters depends on what you're drilling into. You've obviously got some sort of variation in the walls, but that could be mortar joints between bricks, structural steel or substantial wooden beams, or even studs behind plasterboard if the drill/drillbit is very weak (or inappropriate for the material).

Just to check the basics, you've got the drill going in the correct direction, the torque turned up and the hammer setting turned on (if applicable)?
Original Poster
parsimony3 h, 28 m ago

You need to know what you are drilling into if you are going to select the …You need to know what you are drilling into if you are going to select the right bit.How is the wall constructed?

I have no idea sorry, how could i find out
Original Poster
wayners2 h, 15 m ago

What you drilling into? If brick or block buy a good masonry drill as that …What you drilling into? If brick or block buy a good masonry drill as that will get you in. Mark the depth with a little tape around shaft. Also don't go with the flat out rpm. Tickle the trigger or set to slower speed for masonry. Red plugs? Hole size 5.5mm for narrow screws or 6mm for thicker screws with red plugs. You need to get a Dewalt Extreme Masonry Drill Bit. I use a little 10.8volt makita with no hammer for many jobs including masonry. I do own sds and 18volt hammer drills but most smaller drilling jobs I don't need the power, like for pictures. It's a mistake to go all out on high speed with masonry with a naff drill bit. You can buy just the one drill bit from screwfix and its fine to use an sds drill bit in a none sds drill chuck. I do all the time. Fisher Red and yellow plugs are brilliant. Harder plastic and don't have the flange head so push in nicely. That's all I ever use. 5mm drill for yellow plugs. That's your Saturday sorted. Report how it goes

im not sure, i think it could be brick, the succesful one, the powder that fell down was redish in colour.
More info required to properly advise..

Type of drill (combi/hammer, SDS, drill/driver, impact.....),
type of drill bits (wood, masonry,metal.....),
what exactly is the wall (plasterboard, brick....)

When you say 'the drill isn't going anymore', do you mean its not turning, or its not drilling into the wall....?
Kye41211 h, 45 m ago

im not sure, i think it could be brick, the succesful one, the powder that …im not sure, i think it could be brick, the succesful one, the powder that fell down was redish in colour.

Yeah brick. Plasterboard is a soft and white powder. Get a good drill bit as I said. Sometimes you can hit a stone/hard grit bit that halts progress. Good drill bit will soon get through it
Edited by: "wayners" 14th Jul
wayners27 m ago

Yeah brick. Plasterboard is a soft and white powder. Get a good drill bit …Yeah brick. Plasterboard is a soft and white powder. Get a good drill bit as I said. Sometimes you can hit a stone/hard grit bit that halts progress. Good drill bit will soon get through it

You’d go through a lot of drill bits if you were only using a drill/driver to get through a concrete lintel.

OP needs to provide accurate information for proper advise to be given.
Drilling a hole in a wall sounds such a simple task but there is a lot of scope for things to go wrong including drilling through electrical cables and pipework.
You may be better off giving the job to someone more experienced, watching what they do closely and asking questions. You may then learn enough to gain confidence to do the job yourself, both effectively and safely.
andynicol2 h, 8 m ago

You’d go through a lot of drill bits if you were only using a drill/driver …You’d go through a lot of drill bits if you were only using a drill/driver to get through a concrete lintel.OP needs to provide accurate information for proper advise to be given.

Yeah. Hammer drill comes out for that. Op said hanging a picture and red dust. Must be brick and on a wall
Edited by: "wayners" 14th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants