Expired

Drilling into pvc

Found 7th Jul 2013
Diy expertise needed please. Just moved into a new home with a bay window. My partner wanted to have curtains for show and then blinds to cover the windows. There is no options but to put the blind up onto the PVC. Not the greatest at diy and I thought if I drilled through the PVC,the warranty for the windows would become void,so I chose to try and stick them using industrial strength glue. I managed to pull them up half way before the brackets buckled under the pressure and came unstuck,so it seems my only viable option now is to drill. Has anybody done this. Has anybody got any advice please. Do I drill or simply screw the screws in. How good will screwing through plastic be? Daunted to say the least
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskDrill
15 Comments
I drilled doors to fit a door chain. You need to be careful that you don't drill the glass (try to go fairly far from it) and you want to try to hit the metal frame so it will take the weight. It's a do or die I'm afraid!
Could you fix a wooden batton above the window with "No Nails"?
I use silicone these days instead of no nails because it's so strong it can pull holes in your plaster.
Small pilot hole just to get the screw head into and away you go... should be no problem. Don't make the pilot hole big as the screw will cut it's way through the upvc as it goes in. Make sure you use self tapping screws.
Thanks all. Your answers although most helpful have served only to exacerbate my nervousness in said task. I appreciate the replys though,thanks you all.
Jesus put down the tools and step away. Get a man in unless you've got accidental damage cover on your insurance
i wouldnt drill into pvcu windows and hang a curtain rail

it will crack eventually so then you will be paying out for new windows!
csiman

i wouldnt drill into pvcu windows and hang a curtain railit will crack … i wouldnt drill into pvcu windows and hang a curtain railit will crack eventually so then you will be paying out for new windows!

when you say eventually how long do you mean?
Ours have been up for 20+ years and no cracks in the pvc yet.
deathtrap3000

when you say eventually how long do you mean?Ours have been up for 20+ … when you say eventually how long do you mean?Ours have been up for 20+ years and no cracks in the pvc yet.

guess you must have lightweight curtains
drill it into the pvc. i never seen a window fault due to drilling into the pvc. the common practice is to drill it. also the the main fault with windows is locks, seals on the glass on the opening will need adjusting. dont panic about putting blinds up.
cheers. For all the new comments since my last......many thanks for your advice. very helpful. I appreciate you all taking the time to comment on my thread.
the bracket should fasten to the roof of the bay not the window have you got the right brackets
Drill the window, you will not do any harm, how are windows fixed in the first place?....by drilling the frame.(_;)
I had a similar problem with my windows and opted for voiles on a curtain track because I was nervous about drilling into the frame. You can also get perfect fit blinds which actually fit onto the glass themselves using anchors along the seal. A bit costly but would save drilling into the upvc.

the bracket should fasten to the roof of the bay not the window

I tried that bit gave up when I hit a metal girder, any ideas it that situation?
I'm a bit confused,isn't that how everyone puts up blinds,by drilling into the plastic,all mine are like that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants