Expired

Drivers Licence Expiration If Not Used?

Found 16th Oct 2013
I passed my practical test around a years ago now and haven't driven since due to the cost of running a car these days. My parents are insistent that if you pass your test and don't drive for 'X' amount of time your license will be invalidated/taken off you and you have to resit your test again. I'm almost 100% sure they're wrong, but just to be safe can anyone provide some knowledge on the subject?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
20 Comments
Well thats a new one!
It doesnt become invalid and you don't need to retake a test, simple as.. however the license has an expiry date which is i think 10 years after you pass but you just reapply to dvla for a new one.

Edited by: "winifer" 16th Oct 2013
Banned
http://i.imgur.com/P8ilx0e.gif

http://i.imgur.com/6NKHL0S.jpg
winifer

It doesnt become invalid and you don't need to retake a test, simple as.. … It doesnt become invalid and you don't need to retake a test, simple as.. however the license has an expiry date which is i think 10 years after you pass but you just reapply to dvla for a new one

Yep just sent the wifes off £20 robbing ****
OldEnglish

Have just sent mine off too! I didn't realise that an expired license invalidates your insurance
You are given a pass certificate which expires if you don't send it away to get your full license, perhaps this is what they mean?

Photocard licenses also need renewing every 10 years, but that's just to update the photo.
OldEnglish

Its annoying as my parents have a paper one and you never need to renew those! (Or so they tell me?!) Must be a nice little earner for the dvla renewing the plastic ones
Edited by: "winifer" 16th Oct 2013
Lolaheart

Have just sent mine off too! I didn't realise that an expired license … Have just sent mine off too! I didn't realise that an expired license invalidates your insurance

Although the card expires, you licence is still valid until your 70th birthday. An expired photo card will not invalidate your insurance, however you can get fined upto £1000 if your photo has expired but you do not renew it. It is valid for 10 years from application, not from when you passed your test.
If you have a drivers licence but haven't driven, how would the DVLA even know? Ok, if you haven't been a named driver or had your own insurance then I guess they could check on that but you may have driven on someone else's insurance if they have 'any driver' cover, or you could be driving a works vehicle..... Not sure they would have the time/resources to check that everyone with a drivers licence is actually driving a vehicle regularly!
Banned
they may be getting confused with no claims bonus which you lose completely if you dont insure a car for two years
i still have my old paper license which doesn't expire till im 70, ATM no need to change them unless you move home
winifer

Its annoying as my parents have a paper one and you never need to renew … Its annoying as my parents have a paper one and you never need to renew those! (Or so they tell me?!) Must be a nice little earner for the dvla renewing the plastic ones

Only if you move house would they need to update it (or when they reach 70 when you have to retake the test), at which point they could only have a photo card ID.
secondcoming

Only if you move house would they need to update it (or when they reach … Only if you move house would they need to update it (or when they reach 70 when you have to retake the test), at which point they could only have a photo card ID.

Nonsense.
Inactive

Nonsense.

Care to elaborate?
secondcoming

Care to elaborate?

Yes, no retest at 70, just a medical declaration.
This has been said but only your photo expires after 10 years, DVLA will send you a reminder and you pay £20 to have it renewed, then at your 70th birthday, you have to renew your driving entitlement with a medical form.
The good news is that the length of time you have had your license affects insurance premiums regardless of actual usage. So by the time you can afford to insure a car, you'll have had the license for a couple of years with no accidents or tickets! All helps to shave off the price of insurance.
Inactive

Yes, no retest at 70, just a medical declaration.

My mistake, for some reason I had it in my head you had to retake the test.
secondcoming

My mistake, for some reason I had it in my head you had to retake the … My mistake, for some reason I had it in my head you had to retake the test.

No need to apologise.....

Oh you didn't...(_;)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants