Driving along a pedestrian crossing

Posted 6th Nov
I've been wondering about this for a while, haven't been able to find anything on a search engine so I thought I'd ask on here..

Can vehicles use a pedestrian crossing to enter or exit the road? I see delivery vans using crossings more and more frequently and it always seems very dangerous, but I couldn't find anything mentioned about it in the Highway Code?

Does anyone know if it is legal to do this?
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Can you take a screenshot of a Google maps satellite view please
"You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency"

If they are just coming off the road, through a pedestrian crossing entrance and then stopping on the pavement, that isn't allowed.
38913917-X9DBe.jpg38913917-oDP8H.jpg
These are the 2 crossings where I see it happening frequently
It must be for local access or loading or unloading for local business? If they've not got the appropriate signage up then I can't see the fault? It maybe the crossing was added and a diversion for cars put in place?
A crossing is just another part of the road, except that pedestrians have priority - you drive across them every day, don't you? In London, and I dare say other cities, you have crossings across sets of traffic lights at cross roads. No different really.
As long as they don't park on them, or the zig-zag markings, they have every right to drive across them in any direction (subject to signage etc). Seems odd I know, but if that is where the delivery drop area is that is where they go.
S
Thanks for all of your views on this!
There's a brilliant website called "fix my street" if you go there, you can ask your local council if it's legal, they let you put the location on a map and any pictures
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants