Driving anxiety.

Found 17th Oct 2017
I have severe anxiety but finally at the age of 30 I took up driving. My test is in the morning, I just can't believe it, I feel sick. I love driving but I have zero confidence in myself so go to pieces and make mistakes when I'm in test mode. Any tips please? Shall I just face my anxiety or buy a remedy to help? Xx

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

mod

I was a bit like that too, also passed at age 30. You can do this if you weren't ready to take your test the instructor would advise you not to so you must be doing good Bit cheesy but keep telling yourself you can do it, Focus on all the good things you have done whilst driving and all the times you have got things right. I've not tried it myself but I've heard good things about Bach rescue remedy. Good luck for tomorrow

The driving test isn't anything to worry about. You'll be fine.

The examinator will stay quiet most of the way through the test and will tell you left, right etc.

Make a parallel park or turn in the road etc.

It's just down to you hitting the turns, pull out from junctions with good timing.

Don't do what I did and drive a tad too close to parked cars. Remember a good meter distance from them.

I passed first try with 6 minor faults.
50 Comments

mod

I was a bit like that too, also passed at age 30. You can do this if you weren't ready to take your test the instructor would advise you not to so you must be doing good Bit cheesy but keep telling yourself you can do it, Focus on all the good things you have done whilst driving and all the times you have got things right. I've not tried it myself but I've heard good things about Bach rescue remedy. Good luck for tomorrow

The driving test isn't anything to worry about. You'll be fine.

The examinator will stay quiet most of the way through the test and will tell you left, right etc.

Make a parallel park or turn in the road etc.

It's just down to you hitting the turns, pull out from junctions with good timing.

Don't do what I did and drive a tad too close to parked cars. Remember a good meter distance from them.

I passed first try with 6 minor faults.

I think everybody gets anxious for their driving test. It’s one of those passages in life you have to overcome. You will make mistakes just accept it and carry on. They may take some notes when you stop, it doesn’t mean you’ve failed. Plus what’s the worse thing that will happen...you may fail so what

My Daughter used rescue remedy and she said it helped. She passed first time. Good luck.

Go for it - Trust me you'll be far better at it than many of the idiots I meet on the road every day who "think" they can drive . Best bit of advice my Dad gave me when learning to drive many years ago -" Treat everyone else on the road as an idiot " - its saved me a few times !

I was anxious when I took my driving test. In fact, I'm anxious whenever I take any test. What helped me is remembering this:

On any given day, if you read the newspaper, there will probably be at least one article about someone driving ludicrously in some way. If you go out for a drive, you will probably encounter at least one vehicle that makes you question how someone like that could be allowed to drive. Well, they are. They got their licence somehow.

What that means for you is, if those idiots can be allowed to drive, there's absolutely no way that you who cares enough to be concerned and ask about it, won't be. It's always possible that something may happen and you don't pass this time, but who cares. Just do it again, you're not excluded from the driving club. You will absolutely be able to drive if you want to. That's just how our society works.

If you tell him/her your anxious it will take the pressure off a bit, much better than trying to hide it which will do the reverse.

I had two poeple in the car on my test, one in the back checking the tester in the front, had to tell him to lay down when I reversed round the corner
Edited by: "4Real2016" 17th Oct 2017

I would say just grab it by the horns and do it :-)
Don't rely on any remedy or anything like that. Don't think of it too much as your test. Treat it like another driving lesson. Concentrate and follow instructions. Visualise yourself passing and hopefully the anxiety will just melt away.

Just do your best!

What is the worst that can happen? If you fail you can resit - will just take a little longer and cost you some more - that is all! Next time you will be even more experienced!

Nothing to worry about!

Took me two times, wife took 3 and she is now a very good driver, accident free after 30 years!

Good luck.

When I passed my test (just over 2 years ago) I also I used the rescue remedies melts, I passed with 2 minors. I actually spoke to my examiner whilst driving that helped me feel a lot more secure and confident. I didn't do any manoeuvres apart from a reverse park and that was last at the test centre. Regardless of age it is all about confidence I reckon, if you've had the nod to go ahead from your instructor then he's confident you can do it! If the worst does happen and you do fail, atleast you'll know what to expect next time round, I think it's mainly the not knowing what to expect on your test that causes most anxiety. Good luck!!

I took wine gums with me. Sound stupid but knowing I had something to chew or suck on took my mind off the test situation.

I took my test almost 3 years ago, aged 42. I was nervous as hell, sweaty palms & jittery. Driving instructor must have picked up on this & made lots of small talk & asking questions. I said after a while 'I'm sorry, I can't answer you, I'm trying to concentrate!' He laughed (thank god). Easier said than done, but worry & nerves won't help you, finding an inner calm & determination will. Try saying to yourself over & over again I CAN DO THIS, & believe it. I passed 1st time, you can too. You've got this. Let us know how you get on. Good luck x

rogparki3 h, 20 m ago

Go for it - Trust me you'll be far better at it than many of the idiots I …Go for it - Trust me you'll be far better at it than many of the idiots I meet on the road every day who "think" they can drive . Best bit of advice my Dad gave me when learning to drive many years ago -" Treat everyone else on the road as an idiot " - its saved me a few times !

That last bit of advice is what I tell everyone else who gets in my car.

My brother, cousin and ex girlfriend (were together at the time).
It's all about expecting someone else to make a mistake.

9 times out of 10 I could point at someone a head or behind and predict what their gonna do. Either over take at a stupid speed, pull out. Turn a corner or slam their brakes on etc.

If you drive with a slight caution with the idea that everyone will mess up. You're less likely to mess up as you've already predicted what could happen in most circumstances.

Original Poster

Thank you so much all xx

Be confident, you wouldn't be sittng your test if someone didn't think you could pass. Just be ready and prepared. I go in with the attitude that the examiner won't fail me cos in not giving him a reason too! One last piece of advice, just take one road, one turn one anything at a time, and deal with each individual situation calmly and you'll fly through your test. Good luck, tell us the good news tomorrow

One further point - never give up! Do your best till the end of the test. Most people who passed look back on a mistake they know they have made and think they may have failed! If you make a mistake, forget it till the end. You are allowed a few minors - they're expected that with nerves - just keep going right to the end! Good luck again!

just psyche yourself into thinking, if i fail, i will do it again. No harm done, and i have gained experience, which i will be able to build on. This way, there is no fear of failure as it is not as drastic as you first thought.

If you cant sleep, then stay awake with cups of tea or whatever comfortsyou until your test.

Good luck. Hope all goes well for you.

Original Poster

I've not slept One hour to go. This doesn't feel real! I need to pass so I can go and buy some deals I see on here, lol. Thanks lovely People x x

Did you pass.....?

HAVE TO KNOW! Did you pass?

How did you get on Louise? xox

Only just seen this , hope you passed but if not wait until tommorow and rebook, no harm done.
My son started driving lessons the same time as you and passed on his third attempt, silly mistakes on the first two attempts but got there in the end . All practise helps , and the pass rate at my local centre is under 50% , so you are definately not alone if you didn't crack it this time x

not being nasty but it might be a good thing if you fail this time, as having zero confidence in yourself on the road isn't a good thing and can be dangerous to yourself and others. especially with all the nutters driving around these days.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
Robert F Kennedy

"Failure is so important. We speak about success all the time. It is the ability to resist failure or use failure that often leads to greater success. I’ve met people who don’t want to try for fear of failing."
JK Rowling

"I can accept failure – everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying."
Michael Jordan

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill

Aww best of luck to you. (I keep putting off doing my lessons as I'm scared I'll panic and make a prat of myself, I'm 32) I hope you did it but don't worry if you didn't. You'll know what to expect and can do it again. Fingers crossed for you. Let us know!

What sort of things are you thinking about at the time (if you can remember)?

I've been driving since 17 and I think it's a piece of cake, I know a lot of people worry about other drivers,
but most of the time you just need to worry about what you are doing and not anyone else.

If another driver starts to get a bit close then just ease away being careful where you are going.
It might help when you are a passenger to be aware of and notice what the traffic is doing as if you
were driving.
One of the things they get you do do when doing advanced training is to comment on everything you see/notice.They use it as a gauge to see how observant you are. The more you do it the more you get a feel for what other drivers will do (but there is always the unpredictable).

When you are going for a practice drive and you are on a country road it's a good chance to test out your braking ability (when there are no other cars around). Once you know how quickly you can slow down or stop, it should help.
A lot of people brake unnecessarily when just lifting off the accelerator is enough (sometimes).

louisebarker13 h, 10 m ago

I've not slept One hour to go. This doesn't feel real! I need to pass …I've not slept One hour to go. This doesn't feel real! I need to pass so I can go and buy some deals I see on here, lol. Thanks lovely People x x

We are all waiting to hear how you got on! Its causing me anxiety now!!

There has been two years of this already so I doubt it's going to end here

Well?

Perhaps Louise took a wrong turn and ended up somewhere on the M25?
LOUISE.............. WHERE ARE YOU.?

Toptrumpet4 m ago

Perhaps Louise took a wrong turn and ended up somewhere on the …Perhaps Louise took a wrong turn and ended up somewhere on the M25?LOUISE.............. WHERE ARE YOU.?

Lol. I took a wrong turn once and ended up going around the m25 in the wrong direction. It was supposed to be a short trip on the m25 but i kept driving and could not see my junction to get off. I nearly completed the whole m25 before i found the junction. Doh

louisebarker15 h, 21 m ago

I've not slept One hour to go. This doesn't feel real! I need to pass …I've not slept One hour to go. This doesn't feel real! I need to pass so I can go and buy some deals I see on here, lol. Thanks lovely People x x

How was it in the end? I passed 3rd time so there is always hope if you didn't pass today

Original Poster

I failed I cried so so bad when I got home. Already in a bad place with my health and being cheated on and now I'm more of a failure. So, so embarrassed xxxx

Original Poster

Sorry guys just read all your comments. I got upset and had an early night so didn't go online. Sorry for the anxiety lol, thanks for all of our kindness. X

louisebarker58 m ago

I failed I cried so so bad when I got home. Already in a bad …I failed I cried so so bad when I got home. Already in a bad place with my health and being cheated on and now I'm more of a failure. So, so embarrassed xxxx

Hey don't worry about it! Re-book and try again.

How many minors etc did you get?

Bless you!!
Just think no hassle insuring, buying, maintaining a car. Dealing with other ( some times rubbish) drivers At least not yet, anyway.
As wise previous comments have said before I, to not pass is an opportunity to improve

Just think, some one, somewhere else has just failed.......

32274937-0JBnD.jpg
Sending love

xox keep your chin up xox
Edited by: "Zixxxx" 19th Oct 2017

Louise, don't do it to yourself.
you've cried your heart out and now have a cup of tea and be more positive.
It's a set back I know, but think of it as more character building. Speak to your instructor and book another test today.
We've got faith in you, so have some faith in yourself.
You CAN and WILL do it!

If everyone passed first time there would be no point to the test, hopefully it will have given you some pointers where you need to improve or will have shown you how close you are to getting there. It doesn't matter how long you have been driving you still make mistakes , the driving test is just that vital 45 minutes where it all needs to go your way . Chin up missus
Post a comment
@
    Text