Driving from Edinburgh to Newcastle: fun things to do?

Found 3rd Oct 2013
My family are flying up, and I'm driving them down to Newcastle (Metro Centre) for a couple of days. I was just wondering whether there's anything worth stopping to see along the way, or any suggestions for things to do in Newcastle (or around the area).
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Edinburgh
Alnwick castle?
not a lot between edinburgh & newcastle perhaps alnwickcastle.com/. as for around newcastle depends whant you want muesums, countryside, nightlife lots of info here newcastlegateshead.com/ also durham is less than 1/2 hour away.

ps the metro centre isn't in newcastle it's in gateshead

You could make a quick trip to Lindisfarne - small island but reachable … You could make a quick trip to Lindisfarne - small island but reachable by road at certain times of the day.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindisfarne

safe crossing times

Lindisfarne is really lovely.

There are loads of nice castles in and around the North East coast. Bamburgh Castle is one of them.

For a lunch or a drink with a difference try the Alnwick Tree House

As said, Durham is a beautiful, ancient, historic city with plenty to look at - combine a visit there with a city walk or a ghost walk or something like that and you'll see plenty of it's nooks and crannies. Or take a boat trip on the River Wear around the Castle and Cathedral. The Cathedral is incredible by the way.

Also, there are a few great museums, plenty in Newcastle, plus the likes of Beamish Museum is beautiful.
Original Poster
Thank you all! Keep 'em coming
argos clearence shop in stanly my folks love it n all new xmas stuff in this weekend or u got hadrians wall some other places csnt think of name but it ice cream place nice if u got kids wit u
Depending on when you are visiting, Durham has a Lumiere festival 14-17 November which gets rave reviews, although it is ticket only between 4.30-7.30pm due to it getting massively busy. Tickets are free, completely free to collect locally but available via Ticketmaster for 80p booking/postage fee per ticket.
Great North Museum, Baltic, Sage, Grey Street, show the city off.
Agree, the Sage building is spectacular from the outside...

and pretty impressive inside too.....

They hold contemporary concerts there from time to time - my Mrs saw The Lightning Seeds do an acousticy sort of set there a few years ago. In October they have Alison Moyet, Midge Ure, The Feeling, Travis and Jamie Cullum amongst others.
Bamburgh Castle is definately worth a visit then onto Seahouses for traditional fish and chips! Also think about going to Beamish Open Air Museum just below Newcastle but definately worth a visit - something for all ages.
Original Poster
Thank you so much, everyone. Loads of great ideas - mum's going to be surprised.
Post a comment

Top Discussions