Driving from the UK to France, Spain, Italy and back.

Found 21st Jul
So have driven many times from the UK to France, Germany and have even driven as far as Switzerland. Now I have a weeks holiday in August and planning to drive from Dover, into Calais on France then from there drive down as far as Barcelona Spain spend a few days there then to Turin, Italy and before driving back. Am I being far too ambitious?
Community Updates
AskFranceItalySpain
Top comments
Far too ambitious. Will be more driving than sightseeing.
11 Comments
It’s a lot of miles but have you planned it out on google?
Far too ambitious. Will be more driving than sightseeing.
Only 1 week? Too much unless you like to drive around. Why not just drive around/couple places near each other instead.

Maybe just some of France & places in Italy not too far out. Then get to spend time in places. Even France and little of Spain near by. All depends if you wish to see much. Not a relaxing holiday.
Why not fly to Barcelona and hire a car to drive around a bit of Spain and fly back.
Ok so chucking in what you intend into a route planner that states 32 hours worth of driving when on the continent - you would also have you travel time from UK to the continent with whatever means you intend on top

Combine that you are aiming for the French holiday period which gives you a good chance of 32 hours being a very conservative guide with "bouchons" being very infamous during this period.

I guess if your idea of a holiday is spending the majority of time you your car then you will enjoy it. If your holiday isn't about the driving but the destination I would think more about cheap fights between each to make most of the time enjoying the holiday location.
I have decided instead to just stick to driving down to Calais early Sunday morning then rest in a hotel in Clermont-Ferrand then Monday morning drive down to zaragoza and then spend from Monday to Friday in and around zaragoza then on Friday begin the journey back, stop over in tours then Saturday night stop over in and around le harve then Sunday morning drive to the border. Phew its a lot of driving but with my family with me it would be enjoyable I
vixmony48 m ago

I have decided instead to just stick to driving down to Calais early …I have decided instead to just stick to driving down to Calais early Sunday morning then rest in a hotel in Clermont-Ferrand then Monday morning drive down to zaragoza and then spend from Monday to Friday in and around zaragoza then on Friday begin the journey back, stop over in tours then Saturday night stop over in and around le harve then Sunday morning drive to the border. Phew its a lot of driving but with my family with me it would be enjoyable I

I might have a few years on you on travelling to the continent but I really find it much better to still be travelling whilst sleeping on the ferries.

Alternative to what you are describing is using the Portsmouth to Brittany routes - example the overnight ferry to st malo would knock a serious chunk of your journey time and you would arrive fresh, showered in France for the journey down to Spain fresh (Caen is also another possibility).

I would also be tempted to split one leg of the journey via Santander in Spain (25 hour ferry crossing also by Brittanny ferries)
in the many trips I have done, in many routes these are the ones that mean I both have an enjoyable holiday rather than spent recovering whilst also returning fresh - If you do consider I would also advise joining their membership - you will save more than the cost of membership on your first journey whilst gaining the membership benefits.
Your original plan sounded more like an endurance test rather than a holiday.
I remember going to Italy from Yorkshire as a kid...what do I remember...75% being in the back of a car... appreciate cars are better x years later... would I do it now.....only if it was a 4 week trip or more.
Not worth it in a week. It would be much better if you had either more time, or if you stuck just to one country as your current plan means more driving than spending time at your destinations!
Doesn’t sound bad but it’s going to be a long one. Make sure you’re covered.. some countries are not that safe... and I will advise you not to drive alone I mean a second car (friend) will make it easier and safer. I had a journey from a Dover, Calais all the way to the Bulgaria. It was a struggle because we decided to get there in 3 days.. it was an amazing experience.
Good luck and be safe
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants