Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Driving in the UK with an international license

Posted 25th Feb
Hi

I have a cousin who is British but has been living aboard since the age of 16, he is now 25 and wants to come back to the UK to invest some of his family money as well as work in the UK.

He only has a international driving license, is he legally allowed to drive to the uk ?

it's confusing as the government website site is asking if he's a British citizen or a foreign national and giving me a option for each not both.

thank you in advance
Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
Have him do this check:
gov.uk/che…hip
harrythefish25/02/2020 21:48

Have him do this check:https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizenship

I will forward it, but he does have a red British passport as well as national insurance number, he was born in the UK.
Pretty sure your cousin can do it for a year & then they will have to exchange it for a UK one.
International license from which country?
Here is the link some countries you can exchange the driving licence some you have to take the test.

gov.uk/exc…nce

Either way. He can drive for 12 months on it.
ifti25/02/2020 22:16

I will forward it, but he does have a red British passport as well as …I will forward it, but he does have a red British passport as well as national insurance number, he was born in the UK.

When he does the check he will find out. That's the point of the the check.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 25th Feb
Willy_Wonka25/02/2020 22:29

Here is the link some countries you can exchange the driving licence some …Here is the link some countries you can exchange the driving licence some you have to take the test. https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licenceEither way. He can drive for 12 months on it.

Problem is that he'll be entering on his UK passport so it's a little confusing

gov.uk/dri…nce

The above link only says from when you've entered the country, I'm assuming they mean via a visa or when you became a resident
Edited by: "ifti" 25th Feb
ifti25/02/2020 22:35

Problem is that he'll be entering on his UK passport so it's a little …Problem is that he'll be entering on his UK passport so it's a little confusingThe above link only says from when you've entered the country, I'm assuming they mean via a visa.

If you follow the questions on the link I gave you it is clear that it is dependent on what country he got his license in.
Willy_Wonka25/02/2020 22:37

If you follow the questions on the link I gave you it is clear that it is …If you follow the questions on the link I gave you it is clear that it is dependent on what country he got his license in.

Got it, that makes sense, he passed his test Kenya
ifti25/02/2020 22:41

Got it, that makes sense, he passed his test Kenya

This is his answer from the Government

" You cannot exchange your licence but you can drive for up to 12 months on your foreign licence. After 12 months you’ll need to take a theory test and practical test to get a Great Britain issued driving licence."
Willy_Wonka25/02/2020 22:50

This is his answer from the Government " You cannot exchange your …This is his answer from the Government " You cannot exchange your licence but you can drive for up to 12 months on your foreign licence. After 12 months you’ll need to take a theory test and practical test to get a Great Britain issued driving licence."

Thank you I got the same,

Thank you everyone for the replies
He could do the safest thing, get stuck into driving lessons and pass his UK test as soon as he arrives.
Ring the dvla, or local police, that’s your best bet..
Bargainhead26/02/2020 05:28

Ring the dvla, or local police, that’s your best bet..

Why bother the police. The OP has already found out the answer from the gov.uk website
Bargainhead26/02/2020 05:34

Comment deleted

The OP posted & then was told the answer & how to find out the answer out & then researched it themselves to confirm.
Willy_Wonka26/02/2020 05:43

The OP posted & then was told the answer & how to find out the answer out …The OP posted & then was told the answer & how to find out the answer out & then researched it themselves to confirm.

Well done, but I would have had to read all the replies to know that, and normally you have to read a load of drivel when going through answers.. not all answers are bad, obviously this post worked well..
Bargainhead26/02/2020 05:58

Well done, but I would have had to read all the replies to know that, and …Well done, but I would have had to read all the replies to know that, and normally you have to read a load of drivel when going through answers.. not all answers are bad, obviously this post worked well..

I gathered. I do the same. Have a lovely day.
It doesn't matter what his citizenship is. He will still need to pass a UK driving test and theory test if he wants to drive for longer than a year in the UK
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 26th Feb
MonkeyMan9026/02/2020 09:17

It doesn't matter what his citizenship is. He will still need to pass a UK …It doesn't matter what his citizenship is. He will still need to pass a UK driving test and theory test if he wants to drive for longer than a year in the UK

Sorry my friend but that is not true. gov.uk/exc…nce have a look for yourself.
Willy_Wonka26/02/2020 09:22

Sorry my friend but that is not true. …Sorry my friend but that is not true. https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence have a look for yourself.

Sorry my friend but yes it is true. He can only exchange it if he's coming from somewhere like Ireland or Isle of man or Guernsey which is pretty obvious but he is coming from Kenya. Maybe read the facts before commenting
MonkeyMan9026/02/2020 09:29

Sorry my friend but yes it is true. He can only exchange it if he's coming …Sorry my friend but yes it is true. He can only exchange it if he's coming from somewhere like Ireland or Isle of man or Guernsey which is pretty obvious but he is coming from Kenya. Maybe read the facts before commenting

Ah you edited.
MonkeyMan9026/02/2020 09:33

Edited what?

When you edited your post I was writing my reply. If you read up I had already established he had to take a GB test after 12 months.

You wrote "It doesn't matter what his citizenship is. He will still need to pass a UK driving test and theory test if he wants to drive for longer than a year in the UK" Which is simply wrong.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 26th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants