Groups

Driving lesson query

Hi guys,

Just got a question about those "intensive" driving lessons. Have had sufficient amount of hours of lessons - so more or less in the completion stage.

Just thinking of getting into an intensive course to finish it. I appreciate it will be costly - though my instructor has got a 3 weeks holiday coming up - one certainly hope they'll enjoy it - though it does really get into the way, as it's a good month delay essentially.

I notice some 'intensive" course says no need to book test far in advance - hence thinking of booking perhaps 10 hours of those and get it out of the way. Have heard mixed comments. Some used it with success to get the license quickly, some finds it a waste of money. I'm just wondered if anyone has experience using one of the intensive driving course (especially in the late/completion stage of lessons)?

(Will obvious have a careful think, as would be keen not to rush into things; and whilst price is not a main consideration, think the two will be similarly priced - and the extra month is really something one is not keen on / and would be something that would nudge one to go intensive.

Thanks,

13 Comments

my advice, dont rush it.
    read the highway code (80% of drivers dont know basic road signs - for instance majority drive 40mph on a single carriageway with national speed limit sign).

get a short term insurance and drive with someone while the instructor is away

remember, if you rush it you not only putting yourself at risk but other road users as well (the fact that young/inexperienced drivers are more often involved in accidents is based on evidence not some bs stories)

i went straight for the intensive driving lessons when i did my driving test many years ago. i learnt to drive and sat my test as soon as i reached the driving age as i was in a hurry to drive. lol.

i did my driving course over 2 weeks and sat my test immediately afterwards and passed first time. if i had to do it again, i would do this as it meant you get training every day and so you don't forget. if you already have had your driving lessons then i don't see the point of doing these intensive courses, unless you mean a day refresher course just before your test?

I did intensive and failed with 1 major 1 minor, then I didn't take it again. But it worked well and failing was my own fault, not bad teaching.

Original Poster

Thanks guys - very balanced response. Could I ask if it's frowned upon to have 2 driving instructors at the same time? oO (current instructor is otherwise fully booked up too for a bit).

Quicklite

Thanks guys - very balanced response. Could I ask if it's frowned upon to … Thanks guys - very balanced response. Could I ask if it's frowned upon to have 2 driving instructors at the same time? oO (current instructor is otherwise fully booked up too for a bit).

it depends. some instructors may need "few" lessons to see what you can do so far. before you get to the stage where he is confident with you, your old instructor may become available.

dont rush it.
    if it takes you 2 extra months, be it.
    ive done my license in 22 hrs.... over 5 months with 1.5-2hrs per lesson. and just as you my instructor was off for 3 weeks. passed the first time.
    Edited by: "mattsk" 12th Jul

arnold clark hire out dual control cars by the hour £11 all in, you just need someone to sit with you if you need the practice while your instructor is away arnoldclarkrental.com/dua…ire
    Edited by: "ding" 12th Jul

Reminds me of a driving instructor I pulled up next to at a petrol station four or five years ago. He had obviously got a bulk deal on stickers and the car was plastered with the usual first lesson free, five lessons for £99 stuff. He was advertising intensive instruction too but maybe he should've thought a bit more before referring to them as crash courses

psychobitchfromhell

Reminds me of a driving instructor I pulled up next to at a petrol … Reminds me of a driving instructor I pulled up next to at a petrol station four or five years ago. He had obviously got a bulk deal on stickers and the car was plastered with the usual first lesson free, five lessons for £99 stuff. He was advertising intensive instruction too but maybe he should've thought a bit more before referring to them as crash courses

did the job that he wanted stood out and ppl remember

Original Poster

ding

arnold clark hire out dual control cars by the hour £11 all in, you just … arnold clark hire out dual control cars by the hour £11 all in, you just need someone to sit with you if you need the practice while your instructor is away https://www.arnoldclarkrental.com/dual-control-hire

This looks very promising - thanks! I'm just a bit worried that the "intensive" course, whilst "intense", isn't as good as driving over longer term on a regular basis (one can't really be chooser here - quality, price and cost - normally can only get 2 out of 3). I better go off to "persuade" my friend to sit in a dual control car at the weekends with me now. Edit: might need to feed the said friend burgers to do this.

Edited by: "Quicklite" 12th Jul

Quicklite20 m ago

This looks very promising - thanks! I'm just a bit worried that the …This looks very promising - thanks! I'm just a bit worried that the "intensive" course, whilst "intense", isn't as good as driving over longer term on a regular basis (one can't really be chooser here - quality, price and cost - normally can only get 2 out of 3). I better go off to "persuade" my friend to sit in a dual control car at the weekends with me now. Edit: might need to feed the said friend burgers to do this.

I don't think this is a good idea as you may damage the hire car and it would cost a lot of money to pay for damages. I found the best way to learn quickly is to drive around an empty car park in the evenings when no one was around. There was a car park near me behind a factory and so I drove around it for hours to get used to controlling the car, changing gear, changing lanes, parking, reverse parking, three point turn etc. It was nothing like going on the road but the fact that I learnt to fully control the car so that I could drive it without thinking about it, meant I was more confident on the road.

I don't think having different driving instructor makes any difference either. I had two different instructors when I did the intensive course and I found having different people teaching me made no difference at all.
    Edited by: "mutley1" 12th Jul

mutley130 m ago

I don't think this is a good idea as you may damage the hire car and it …I don't think this is a good idea as you may damage the hire car and it would cost a lot of money to pay for damages. I found the best way to learn quickly is to drive around an empty car park in the evenings when no one was around. There was a car park near me behind a factory and so I drove around it for hours to get used to controlling the car, changing gear, changing lanes, parking, reverse parking, three point turn etc. It was nothing like going on the road but the fact that I learnt to fully control the car so that I could drive it without thinking about it, meant I was more confident on the road.I don't think having different driving instructor makes any difference either. I had two different instructors when I did the intensive course and I found having different people teaching me made no difference at all.

£500 excess or an extra fiver for a zero excess

ding3 h, 55 m ago

£500 excess or an extra fiver for a zero excess

in that case, that sounds too good to be true. very good value if works. have you used them before?

mutley12 m ago

in that case, that sounds too good to be true. very good value if works. …in that case, that sounds too good to be true. very good value if works. have you used them before?

Son has used them twice, once for a lesson and to get familiar with the car and once for his test
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Has your £2.50 Topcashback been paid from the last offer?22
      2. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2027
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?915
      4. Back to European satellite tv32

See more discussions