Driving Lessons

Posted 15th Mar
Currently I have had eight 2 hour driving lessons and still not met any traffic lights or crossings and have only completed 2 manoeuvres which is a controlled stop and parking on the other side of the road in which I only seem to do one manoeuvre a lesson since my 6th lesson. Apparently I have done town driving according to the sheet that is filled in after every lesson yet still haven’t been anywhere near the town centre which is most likely where my test would be. My driving is good however it seems to be very slow to make progress with the instructor. Do you think I’m being rinsed or not?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
esar15/03/2020 14:27

Comment deleted

That’s not the discussion of the OPs post and they never mentioned about taking their final test?
28 Comments
If they’re falsely claiming that you’ve driven in cities( when you haven’t) then that’s a big red flag! At the end of the day it doesn’t sound like you’ve had a lot of experience. I’d recommend seeking a different teacher/school.

Comment deleted

That’s not the discussion of the OPs post and they never mentioned about taking their final test?
That explains why the level of driving on our roads is so bad
Switch instructor

Comment deleted

Nice edit!

I only had 8 hours of lessons. My 9th hour was my test.
My brother had about 40 hours and 3 tests.
Everybody is different.

Op. Only you know your progress. Speak to your instructor. If you are not happy move to a different driving school.
Book a test otherwise it's driving long way around to pick up next person. They start doing a lot more once they know a test is coming, if they don't find someone else.

You should have taken a test before 22nd lesson at least if your confident.
Edited by: "MR1123" 15th Mar
Put it this way, I had done all manoeuvres, town and dual carriage way driving multiple times by my 11th 1 hour lesson, obviously instructors probably tailor the speed of learning to each pupil but in a 2 hour lesson and if you are feeling comfortable driving and they're not introducing new aspects quickly to you (I wouldn't outright saying you're being fleeced as I'm not there but) it sounds like you're paying for a 2 hour lesson when you're not doing anything that couldn't be done in a 1 hour lesson.

Also don't be afraid to take initiative, say what you haven't learnt yet and say that you've booked your theory so you are ready for the practical, put a reasonable time frame on it (like pass by July), if there is any push back like they want to drag it out or they still don't introduce new stuff to you drop them for someone else.
Edited by: "redflash" 15th Mar
Change instructors - 16 hours is a long time to have not learnt traffic lights etc. Surely you (not you personally) should be able to drive the car after 1 lesson, then it's onto more complicated stuff. Some driving schools offer 1 weeks course with the test at the end.

There is nothing to lose by changing. I passed my test after 8 1hr lessons (was a long time ago, things may well have changed since then)

Also, I don't see the be benefit in 2 hour lessons, 1 hour would be better IMO.
Pandamansays15/03/2020 15:11

Change instructors - 16 hours is a long time to have not learnt traffic …Change instructors - 16 hours is a long time to have not learnt traffic lights etc. Surely you (not you personally) should be able to drive the car after 1 lesson, then it's onto more complicated stuff. Some driving schools offer 1 weeks course with the test at the end.There is nothing to lose by changing. I passed my test after 8 1hr lessons (was a long time ago, things may well have changed since then)Also, I don't see the be benefit in 2 hour lessons, 1 hour would be better IMO.

Where the instructor takes me is a good 10 mins away to the industrial estate up the road in which once there they will do a few laps round the streets to show me what I will be doing. Then there’s the time to drop me back off at home so it’s why I do 2 hour lessons as half an hour is took up traveling and watching him do laps. Last lesson he made me fill up his car which wasted time before I was took home.
redflash15/03/2020 14:57

Put it this way, I had done all manoeuvres, town and dual carriage way …Put it this way, I had done all manoeuvres, town and dual carriage way driving multiple times by my 11th 1 hour lesson, obviously instructors probably tailor the speed of learning to each pupil but in a 2 hour lesson and if you are feeling comfortable driving and they're not introducing new aspects quickly to you (I wouldn't outright saying you're being fleeced as I'm not there but) it sounds like you're paying for a 2 hour lesson when you're not doing anything that couldn't be done in a 1 hour lesson. Also don't be afraid to take initiative, say what you haven't learnt yet and say that you've booked your theory so you are ready for the practical, put a reasonable time frame on it (like pass by July), if there is any push back like they want to drag it out or they still don't introduce new stuff to you drop them for someone else.

Thank you for your advice. Cheers
My 17 year old daughter passed first time after around 20 hours, she'd done much more than you in the first half dozen, I think you're being mugged off.
Have you told your instructor? If not then just tell them.
madmario2215/03/2020 15:32

Where the instructor takes me is a good 10 mins away to the industrial …Where the instructor takes me is a good 10 mins away to the industrial estate up the road in which once there they will do a few laps round the streets to show me what I will be doing. Then there’s the time to drop me back off at home so it’s why I do 2 hour lessons as half an hour is took up traveling and watching him do laps. Last lesson he made me fill up his car which wasted time before I was took home.

Crikey you're not even driving for all that time? I think the only time the instructor drove me was the very first lesson when he took me to a quiet road to start. After that was all me at the wheel. Definitely sounds fishy I'm afraid
darkfrost115/03/2020 14:33

That’s not the discussion of the OPs post and they never mentioned about t …That’s not the discussion of the OPs post and they never mentioned about taking their final test?

Sorry, yes you are right, if anything, they're saying they havn't had enough (I've deleted my dumb post)

Where the instructor takes me is a good 10 mins away to the industrial …Where the instructor takes me is a good 10 mins away to the industrial estate up the road in which once there they will do a few laps round the streets to show me what I will be doing. Then there’s the time to drop me back off at home so it’s why I do 2 hour lessons as half an hour is took up traveling and watching him do laps. Last lesson he made me fill up his car which wasted time before I was took home.

I'm sorry to say that you are definitely being had over then. Change instructors pronto.
CatsWithThumbs15/03/2020 16:13

Crikey you're not even driving for all that time? I think the only time …Crikey you're not even driving for all that time? I think the only time the instructor drove me was the very first lesson when he took me to a quiet road to start. After that was all me at the wheel. Definitely sounds fishy I'm afraid

Aye, was told I would be driving myself home 2 lessons ago and never drove home last lesson all a bit odd. Thanks for your advice anyways.
Edited by: "madmario22" 15th Mar
Pandamansays15/03/2020 16:20

I'm sorry to say that you are definitely being had over then. Change …I'm sorry to say that you are definitely being had over then. Change instructors pronto.

Aye thanks for your advice 👌🏼
Does seem strange you are not driving 100% of the time. 1st lesson I had I was passenger and he drove me to a quiet road. We drove up and down for about 20 mins with me as driver and then instructor said let’s turn left on to the main road. I didn’t have much choice but to learn very quickly! After that he took me through traffic hot spots to practise stop start and concentration. This is London so pretty busy everywhere anyways. Once we had to stop for petrol. Can’t remember if he asked me to pump but was definitely driving.
He also took me on the roads near to the test centre so I would be used to them for test day. I didn’t live far from it to be fair.
I had 2 hour lessons and must have had about 8. A few times we went to collect the next student from their house. New student would then drive me home. He asked if we were happy to have passenger and said it would help having a passenger.

Also got me to book test fairly early on and call up for cancellations. Was such a good instructor and recommended him to my brother and his girlfriend who also both passed 1st time and quickly.

Your instructor sounds a little inexperienced possibly. You should be driving 100% of the time. That’s the whole point of driving lessons. If he can not see this then perhaps he is taking you for a ride (no pun intended)

Book a test for a couple of months away. Give him a chance if you feel he’s a good teacher but maybe have a conversation with how many lessons he thinks it’ll take and that you want to be driving all the time to get more practise. He might feel you aren’t ready for some reason but he should make this clear.

Good luck.

Also, on test day if you do anything wrong try and correct it. I pulled out on someone but realised my error and reversed to let them go. Examiner said I would have failed had I not of corrected. So don’t assume you’ve failed if you’ve done something! Just be safe and correct it
Edited by: "2015" 15th Mar
201515/03/2020 17:41

Does seem strange you are not driving 100% of the time. 1st lesson I had I …Does seem strange you are not driving 100% of the time. 1st lesson I had I was passenger and he drove me to a quiet road. We drove up and down for about 20 mins with me as driver and then instructor said let’s turn left on to the main road. I didn’t have much choice but to learn very quickly! After that he took me through traffic hot spots to practise stop start and concentration. This is London so pretty busy everywhere anyways. Once we had to stop for petrol. Can’t remember if he asked me to pump but was definitely driving. He also took me on the roads near to the test centre so I would be used to them for test day. I didn’t live far from it to be fair. I had 2 hour lessons and must have had about 8. A few times we went to collect the next student from their house. New student would then drive me home. He asked if we were happy to have passenger and said it would help having a passenger. Also got me to book test fairly early on and call up for cancellations. Was such a good instructor and recommended him to my brother and his girlfriend who also both passed 1st time and quickly. Your instructor sounds a little inexperienced possibly. You should be driving 100% of the time. That’s the whole point of driving lessons. If he can not see this then perhaps he is taking you for a ride (no pun intended)Book a test for a couple of months away. Give him a chance if you feel he’s a good teacher but maybe have a conversation with how many lessons he thinks it’ll take and that you want to be driving all the time to get more practise. He might feel you aren’t ready for some reason but he should make this clear.Good luck. Also, on test day if you do anything wrong try and correct it. I pulled out on someone but realised my error and reversed to let them go. Examiner said I would have failed had I not of corrected. So don’t assume you’ve failed if you’ve done something! Just be safe and correct it

They’ve been teaching for 18 years apparently
Edited by: "madmario22" 15th Mar
MR112315/03/2020 14:41

Book a test otherwise it's driving long way around to pick up next person. …Book a test otherwise it's driving long way around to pick up next person. They start doing a lot more once they know a test is coming, if they don't find someone else.You should have taken a test before 22nd lesson at least if your confident.

as an ex instructor no way would i be taking a student to test if they were not ready, it's your school reputation with examiners that would suffer!
leitchyleck15/03/2020 17:56

as an ex instructor no way would i be taking a student to test if they …as an ex instructor no way would i be taking a student to test if they were not ready, it's your school reputation with examiners that would suffer!

Yeah that's why I said if you are confident. Which you should be by that many lessons!
When you book a test it's usually 3 months+ away, so you need to book it! And this is coming from both of my instructors whom told me this. your wasting money by not booking a test especially after that many lessons or if you leave a gap there's a chance your control will go and It's upto you as a instructor to get them ready by this time.
Either your being scammed or your not aware your really bad at learning, its more than likely the instructor thats ripping you off but i just remembered the woman who had over 100 tests failed and believed she was a good driver
I would say this to the instructor and see what they have to say-maybe they have a different viewpoint but depending on what they say I would then probably change instructor(with info you have given). 18 years ago but I was ready after 7 1-hour lessons and had been through all manoeuvres, emergency stops etc. You should be driving 100% of the time unless there's a hazardous area that they think you are not ready for yet (or motorway). I would be questioning the discrepancies in paperwork. Good luck
Yes, change instructor...
I had the same problem with a well-known driving school (also do breakdown cover (not RAC)). I was not getting very far at all. I changed instructors - best thing I ever did - new instructor was brilliant - he was so surprised how little I had done, hadn’t even touched a dual carriageway, he was much better at teaching manoeuvres etc. He also told me to book my test, so that we had something to work towards.
I learnt to drive with weekly 1 hour lessons and I drove for all of them, including the very first one.
After 10 lessons I was nowhere near perfect but I'd attempted all the manoeuvres, different types of junction, etc, and the instructor said;
"Put in for your test, you're not ready for it yet but there's a 6 week waiting list so by the time it comes around you will be."
I did, I was and I passed.
I realise that was a long time ago and I appreciate people progress at different speeds but nevertheless, after 16 hours of tuition I would expect you to have tackled all the various manoeuvres and to be driving all the time because thats how you learn and gain experience, you can't do it by watching someone else.
Change your instructor, I think you're being taken for a ride.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 16th Mar

Last lesson he made me fill up his car

Really? Next you'll be telling us he asked you to pop into the local shop for toilet rolls and antibac handsoap!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants