Expired

Driving lessons - Bill Plant?

Found 21st Jun 2012
Anyone heard of this company? seen quite a few going around nowadays and prices are very competitive for driving lessons for my gf

eg 10 lessons around £165 or so

compared to AA which is around £225
Community Updates
MiscDriving LessonsPlant
27 Comments
I can get 10 lessons for £99 round here. I'm sure of it.

Scratch that. Don't think so.
Edited by: "dylanjb100" 21st Jun 2012
Depends if you want your gf to pass her test, You can buy tesco value beans for 10p.
Original Poster
any first hand experience or...?
Its obviously a local instructor. Stop being a tight ass and go with a properly trained company.
I used Red, they are very good.
jonny619447

Its obviously a local instructor. Stop being a tight ass and go with a … Its obviously a local instructor. Stop being a tight ass and go with a properly trained company. I used Red, they are very good.

He's not being a tight ass. If anything people I know have said not to go with bigger companies like RED and AA. They're more expensive and in no way does that mean the instructors are superior.

Also, Bill Plant isn't a local instructor, I've seen loads of cars driving round in different cities around the country. All instructors have to pass the same tests, so I don't know what you mean by a 'properly trained company'. Companies are mainly going to be concerned with making as much money as possible, local instructors might actually have the student's interests in mind.

OP I would ask around if possible and see if people recommend anyone, otherwise you might as well go with one of the cheapest.

Edited by: "PaulNT" 22nd Jun 2012
jonny619447

Its obviously a local instructor. Stop being a tight ass and go with a … Its obviously a local instructor. Stop being a tight ass and go with a properly trained company. I used Red, they are very good.

What.. you mean where most instructors hold provisional instructor licenses? X)
My own driving instructor explained how he used to work for AA - as do a lot of the new driving instructors.
They then become independent driving instructors after they gain enough experience doing this - and they work for themselves.
(He explained that well after I signed up with him - which should reduce some bias in what he said i.e. he wasn't persuading me to let him teach me)
--

So yes - I would actively avoid AA / Red in comparison to some local driving instructors.

HOWEVER for that price, I would be suspicious indeed.

Edited by: "Firefly1" 22nd Jun 2012
PaulNT

He's not being a tight ass. If anything people I know have said not to go … He's not being a tight ass. If anything people I know have said not to go with bigger companies like RED and AA. They're more expensive and in no way does that mean the instructors are superior.Also, Bill Plant isn't a local instructor, I've seen loads of cars driving round in different cities around the country. All instructors have to pass the same tests, so I don't know what you mean by a 'properly trained company'. Companies are mainly going to be concerned with making as much money as possible, local instructors might actually have the student's interests in mind.OP I would ask around if possible and see if people recommend anyone, otherwise you might as well go with one of the cheapest.

I have seen the way people drive in "local" driving schools, and they are terrible. If it was an isolated incident you could put it down to a new driver but the terrible learners tend to be from local instructors.

Maybe this bill plant company is ok, but I would have thought that bigger companies train their instructors to a better level what with their reputations on the line.
simonturner69

What.. you mean where most instructors hold provisional instructor … What.. you mean where most instructors hold provisional instructor licenses? X)

There are different levels of training in every industry, new courses, better techniques. Thought that would have been obvious.
Is he a relation to Dodgy Ken?
Find a local company, use google, facebook etc, my daughter asked around at 6th form, it cost £200 for 10 lessons but the instructor was really good. The AA used to talk sh@t for half of your lesson to save fuel, not sure if they have changed.
A lot of instructors who give you good deals spend half the lesson road side chatting shyt. look for an instructor with a green badge,that means they are fully qualified . pink badge means trainee. Bill plant and even bsm use a lot of trainees. AA believe it or not. won't take on trainees so all their instructors are fully qualified.
Red uses newly qualified drivers same as bsm. Newly qualified instructors have to stay with them for a yr to gain experience as these bigger companies pay towards the exams they have to pass some instructions end up staying due to nt wanting own business my ex qualified through red then went onto bsm but targets for failing was too high customers expectations they have high record of being the best but the father's of sons daughters blame him for there failure. He now works for aa better company respect the learners needs cannot put anyone to test without definitely being ready and as 99% chance of passing 1% is down to nerves. Hope this information helps
I learnt with AA and ended up paying on average £16 per lesson (booked in bulk directly via my instructor).

Go with someone that's been recommended to you by someone you know is the best advice, every driving school is similar and don't have much involvement with you after the initial lessons anyway - you book your first few lessons with the driving school and after them you book them with the instructor instead, I only spoke to AA once and that was to book the first two lessons.

Bill plant isn't a small company at all, they're based in Yorkshire and have a fleet of instructors throughout the country (a lot in Birmingham), but I found them to be incompetent after phoning 5+ times to ask for a instructor who is available weekends + evenings (all of their instructors who phoned me finished at half 5 and wouldn't work weekends :S). Also, Bill Plant have attractive offers but they're always introductory offers and you'll pay alot more after - so don't think the 10 lessons for £165 will stick at that price each time you book 10 lessons, it will be the first 10 (unless you make a deal with the instructor yourself)

All the instructors are pretty much self-employed, so it depends on the driver not so much the company, I'd say your safer going with a big driving school though as you can change driver if you have any outstanding lessons booked and don't feel your driving instructor is helping enough.

I see Bill Plant cars all the time. Possibly more so than any other company. Perhaps they're more popular in some areas than others.

Anyhow, I passed with Bill Plant. I actually had 2 instructors with them. First was good but she had to move away so she passed me onto someone else. The guy she passed me on to used to work for AA. I passed with him.

I do think it's all about the instructor though not the company. And possibly the car too. I drove a few different cars, including a few different corsas. All looked the same but they were different to drive. Some were better than others. Course, if you've not driven before it won't really matter what the car is.

I had 4 instructors in total. The first was an idiot (used to grab my wheel for no reason, be on the phone etc) so I fired him - he wasn't part of a company. Second wasn't part of a company either. She was nice enough but stopped calling me to arrange lessons (my friend passed with her though). So then I found Bill Plant which worked out fine.

I'd say it's all about luck with who you get so if cost is an issue (or you just don't want to pay out more than you have to) go for the cheapest. You can always change if you don't like them.
I passed 1st time with this company.
jonny619447

That couldn't be further from the truth Bill Plant is a national driving company. Red are fraudsters and scammers:

blogs.mirror.co.uk/inv…tml
youtube.com/wat…hI0

Or just type red scam into google.
Please read the comments:
Original Poster
thanks for the replies guys

i'l try give them a call and see

i personally passed with AA after my independent instructor refused to help me with a different test route as the one i was practicing for awhile was closed lol
People who are tight get what they pay for and don't deserve to pass thier test at all . They think it's all about the money and it isn't . Can't stand cheap skate pupils they always fail . Do it properly or not at all . I'm a bill plant instructor stay away from that company pupils and instructors alike they are terrible . Sooner they get rid of that crappy £56 pound offer which always gets abused by cheapo drivers with no clue the better .
wak10

People who are tight get what they pay for and don't deserve to pass … People who are tight get what they pay for and don't deserve to pass thier test at all . They think it's all about the money and it isn't . Can't stand cheap skate pupils they always fail . Do it properly or not at all . I'm a bill plant instructor stay away from that company pupils and instructors alike they are terrible . Sooner they get rid of that crappy £56 pound offer which always gets abused by cheapo drivers with no clue the better .

Wait, so you work for them and any their instructors are terrible?
wak10

People who are tight get what they pay for and don't deserve to pass … People who are tight get what they pay for and don't deserve to pass thier test at all . They think it's all about the money and it isn't . Can't stand cheap skate pupils they always fail . Do it properly or not at all . I'm a bill plant instructor stay away from that company pupils and instructors alike they are terrible . Sooner they get rid of that crappy £56 pound offer which always gets abused by cheapo drivers with no clue the better .

Wait, so you work for them and any their instructors are terrible?
I was taught to drive by a local instructor. He was an amateur rally driver. Passed 1st time after 6 lessons.

I prefer local.
Banned
whatever you do, do not go with a company.

1) they will do whatever they can to squeeze as much money out of you as possible.

2) they are taught to teach in a very specific way. my sister spent her first 8 lessons with BSM just practising moving off. By my 8th lesson, I did dual carriageways, roundabouts, junctions and began manoeuvres.
hukdealz

whatever you do, do not go with a company.1) they will do whatever they … whatever you do, do not go with a company.1) they will do whatever they can to squeeze as much money out of you as possible.2) they are taught to teach in a very specific way. my sister spent her first 8 lessons with BSM just practising moving off. By my 8th lesson, I did dual carriageways, roundabouts, junctions and began manoeuvres.

My first instructor wasn't part of a company like Bill Plant or AA or whatever. I spent far too many lessons doing the same thing over and over and not moving on to something else despite the fact I could drive fine. He wanted as much money as possible and didn't care for rules or safety. I would have been safer driving the car without him! My second instructor wasn't part of a company either and she just didn't bother to call me again.

With Bill Plant I passed my test. They didn't waste my time either.

You can't just rule out all companies. Every instructor is different. If they're clearly wasting your time then get another instructor.
Banned
GamingDevil

My first instructor wasn't part of a company like Bill Plant or AA or … My first instructor wasn't part of a company like Bill Plant or AA or whatever. I spent far too many lessons doing the same thing over and over and not moving on to something else despite the fact I could drive fine. He wanted as much money as possible and didn't care for rules or safety. I would have been safer driving the car without him! My second instructor wasn't part of a company either and she just didn't bother to call me again.With Bill Plant I passed my test. They didn't waste my time either. You can't just rule out all companies. Every instructor is different. If they're clearly wasting your time then get another instructor.

on the whole, I'd still say its definitely better to ask friends and find a highly recommended instructor. Unless the companies let you choose your instructor (I don't know about this), I'd say 9/10 go independent.

I actually went with the instructor that taught my dad 35 years ago, he's 71 years old!
hukdealz

on the whole, I'd still say its definitely better to ask friends and find … on the whole, I'd still say its definitely better to ask friends and find a highly recommended instructor. Unless the companies let you choose your instructor (I don't know about this), I'd say 9/10 go independent.I actually went with the instructor that taught my dad 35 years ago, he's 71 years old!

My second instructor was recommended to me by my friend.

I think the first was recommended by a friend of my Mum. I think they knew the instructor quite well though so it is quite possible he acted differently with them or even that they didn't realise how bad he was. Either way I'd have to disagree with that lol.

I didn't get to choose the instructor I had through Bill Plant but both I had were nice.

With instructors I'd say it depends a lot on luck and on personality/attitude and driving skill. If someone isn't naturally good at driving it'll take them a little longer regardless of who is teaching them.
Passed first time using an instructor through Bill Plant. Was a local instructor who had his own pupils as well. My brother passed first time using him as well. £56 for first 6 lessons and then 2 blocks of 10 for £160 per 10.

Its all down to the instructor.

Edited by: "Starr" 12th Jul 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants