Groups

Driving lessons dragging.

Last year I was posting on here about having no confidence for lessons anyway I took the plunge and am so grateful I did. However I can't stop worrying recently that I will never be able to fully drive. I have had about 50 lessons and although I'm in the main town, test routes etc he hasn't taught me any manoeuvres. I've bought a car, went out with a friend at the weekend he said my driving is very good but was in shock when I said I may struggle with turning or parking. I know I started off slow and nervous but am I now being taken for a ride?

32 Comments

go with someone else. you'll learn new ways with different people

yes

Taken for a ride. Get a new instructor.

either your a terrible driver, or hes taking you for a ride

I stupidly bought a block of lessons when I started, 30 lessons plus test at the time.
    I was doing practice runs after about 10 lessons.

I taught a few friends how to drive once I had my car on the road, and told them not to book block lessons, 4 out of 6 passed within 10 lessons, the other 2 gave up and never actually finished them

+1 on other comments

Where about are you. If you are anywhere near South East London, I know of a very good instructor with a good success rate. Manual car driving instructor.

Original Poster

coullgfx

either your a terrible driver, or hes taking you for a rideI stupidly … either your a terrible driver, or hes taking you for a rideI stupidly bought a block of lessons when I started, 30 lessons plus test at the time.I was doing practice runs after about 10 lessons.I taught a few friends how to drive once I had my car on the road, and told them not to book block lessons, 4 out of 6 passed within 10 lessons, the other 2 gave up and never actually finished them

Surely he would have said if I'm a terrible driver? He said I've got the mentality there, am good at driving but it's my mind at fault as I think negatively and doubt myself.

louisebarker

Surely he would have said if I'm a terrible driver? He said I've got the … Surely he would have said if I'm a terrible driver? He said I've got the mentality there, am good at driving but it's my mind at fault as I think negatively and doubt myself.

he should be saying, otherwise you wont feel a need to improve.
    You should change instructors, do it without telling him, try someone else out for a few, see what they say

coullgfx

he should be saying, otherwise you wont feel a need to improve.You should … he should be saying, otherwise you wont feel a need to improve.You should change instructors, do it without telling him, try someone else out for a few, see what they say

​I agree book it with someone else and see what they say...also have you passed you're theory as laws changing in April making it harder

Im doing my lessons now and was doing 3 point turns and reversing around a corner after 4 lessons

I remember your post from last year, well done for getting started. I think it is very difficult for anyone here to simply say the instructor is taking your for a ride (!) or that your progress is just slow. Rather than stopping with the current school, why not take a lesson with another school and getting them to assess your progress with regard to the amount of lessons you have had?
    That said, and speaking as someone who used to teach people a practical skill similar to driving, sometimes you do just have the wrong person to teach you and a change is needed to progress well.

Banned

I took 1 year and 8 months to pass my driving test. believe me, my friends were worst.
    I had 1 lesson every week.
    I told my friends and they said I should change the instructor because she used to shout and I had to pick her next customer up while I was having a lesson, obviously she was saving alot of time and money. she didn't learn me much either and instead of looking straight ahead she wanted me to look on the right as far as I could see! I was really worried and I used to tell her that's dangerous, a car in front of me could be breaking and I wouldn't be able to see it.
    anyway, my new instructor was so nice, she let me do anything.

so op, I'd recommend you to find another instructor. plenty of them doing slot booking deals

Original Poster

samyousaf

​I agree book it with someone else and see what they say...also have you p … ​I agree book it with someone else and see what they say...also have you passed you're theory as laws changing in April making it harder

Damn it, I haven't. Sill me I have been so worried about failing that I keep putting it off. I really must give it my best shot then. Didn't know about the law changes, thanks x

You're either a bad driver or your teacher is bad. Change teacher, if that don't work. Then it's you!

louisebarker

Damn it, I haven't. Sill me I have been so worried about failing that I … Damn it, I haven't. Sill me I have been so worried about failing that I keep putting it off. I really must give it my best shot then. Didn't know about the law changes, thanks x

Someone posted on about practising the theory for free, have a go and see how you do
    hotukdeals.com/fre…150
    Edited by: "shywallflower" 27th Feb

My Daughter had this, she was driving fine but had never done any manoeuvres. She asked her instructor who kept saying "next lesson" but it never happened. She changed instructors, he covered manoeuvres for about 3 lessons and put her in for her test. I know how nervous you were about having lessons so well done. If you feel confident with this instructor why not ask him to cover the manoeuvres? If he does great, if not you should maybe try to find someone else.

I learnt 30 plus years ago.
    Had the same problem. Lack of confidence. Anyway my instructor was ok but seemed to be running two businesses one as a driving instructor one as doing bits and bobs while teaching pupils, me included!

Anyway I failed twice with him while my chums passed after I started and failed. So I changed to their instructor. It was like chalk and cheese. I was useless in confined areas. My initial instructor had me driving on main roads etc easy stuff, the new guy had me in estates turning turning turning using gears etc clutch control etc. It was like night and day from a learning experience.

The second instructor was real instructor! I passed no issues with the new guy.

So like has been said get a new one!

Hi, your mate has already told you that you are a good driver, so its not you. My daughter has been having a similar experience, so I have took her out myself and I would class her as OK but I've still had to grab the steering wheel on a few occasions, and she's changed instructor. Its not easy trying to teach some one how to drive, so don't blame yourself.

You asked on here when you already know the answer....so try a new instructor, or two, or ten. keep going until you find one you feel comfortable with. If you have no confidence in the instructor you can't have confidence in yourself.
    You are spending a lot of money on lessons - don't accept less than good service. You wouldn't accept third rate in a restaurant , every week for a year!

Original Poster

shywallflower

My Daughter had this, she was driving fine but had never done any … My Daughter had this, she was driving fine but had never done any manoeuvres. She asked her instructor who kept saying "next lesson" but it never happened. She changed instructors, he covered manoeuvres for about 3 lessons and put her in for her test. I know how nervous you were about having lessons so well done. If you feel confident with this instructor why not ask him to cover the manoeuvres? If he does great, if not you should maybe try to find someone else.

Oh so it has happened to somebody else. Just seems such a crazy waste to keep driving around the same for two hours doing the same thing every lesson. Thank you x

Original Poster

deputydog7

Hi, your mate has already told you that you are a good driver, so its not … Hi, your mate has already told you that you are a good driver, so its not you. My daughter has been having a similar experience, so I have took her out myself and I would class her as OK but I've still had to grab the steering wheel on a few occasions, and she's changed instructor. Its not easy trying to teach some one how to drive, so don't blame yourself.

Oh he has never had to grab the wheel or use his controls so the more I think about this the more I need to bite the bullet and change x Just feel bad.

You asked almost the same question the best part of 3 months ago, and I think the general consensus then was to give a different instructor a go. I remember because my son had started to learn to drive at about the same time as you, it is taking a bit longer than we had thought , but he's got his test booked in for the start of April. Pass rates are less than 50% where we live, so using it as a practise to see how he goes. It does all take a while , but please at least book one lesson with a different instructor , at least they could assess how far along you are. It's too expensive to stay with an instructor who isn't doing their best for you.

why don't u ask ur instructor about manoeuvres if he doesn't do them go to another I had 5 lessons and told my instructor I want to do manoeuvres as I drive another car he was fine with it and let me take a test after 10 lessons when I booked it around 7 lessons he was saying wait a bit but didn't force me to wait any longer.

get rid of the driving instructor, stick some L plates on your own car and find someone who has been driving for a long time (legally 2+? years but more the better)

practice practice practice in your own car, that's how I passed and spent literally nothing on lessons

find a car park, b&q etc and just park over and over again, you will be doing it perfectly after a couple of hours

Have you told the instructor you feel your ready to move to the next level?
    At 50 lessons you should be ready to have a crack at the test or at least a mock test.

My wife tried learned to drive on & off for 20 years and was always nervous, I suggested trying an automatic car and she passed her test within 6 months.....just a suggestion

Original Poster

dataload

get rid of the driving instructor, stick some L plates on your own car … get rid of the driving instructor, stick some L plates on your own car and find someone who has been driving for a long time (legally 2+? years but more the better)practice practice practice in your own car, that's how I passed and spent literally nothing on lessonsfind a car park, b&q etc and just park over and over again, you will be doing it perfectly after a couple of hours

Feel brilliant after reading this. I had been toying with this idea, but everybody that I have asked has said 'not sure' etc. I think I will tell him I'm going to have a break tomorrow. x

At the end of the day you are employing them to teach you to drive. You are the employer so employ someone else. If you think they are taking you for a ride, then it's time for a change. 50 lessons is ridiculous.

I'm a big believer that a huge part of driving is understanding the roads. As a learner driver of a conventional manual, apart from the gear/clutch (which WILL come with time, but is weird as to begin with), a huge part of driving is understanding how the roads work.....
    when I see drivers panic, it's not because they can't control the vehicle, but because they don't know what to do e.g. what lane to be in as they approach a junction, where they should be looking, whose right of way it is etc.
    every time you are a passenger - on a bus, in someone's car etc, think through the key points e.g. look at signs, look up at roundabouts, give way signs, be aware what lane options there are and what you'd need to do if you wanted to go a certain way and so on. once you understand how the roads work, getting the car to do what you need to do is quite easy.
    manoeuvres are weird. you just need to practise, have someone explain it to you and get used to it - different people visualise it differently and someone may be able to explain it in words that click with your way of thinking. I always used to attempt to forward park until I thought about it. parking and reversing (in my big truck) are still a bit of a headache. we need a banksman and use some tight roads - I still, after 20 years and many advance driving courses, still don't fully have my head around the mechanics of a couple of manoeuvres and struggle/wing it sometimes.
    also be aware that many drivers with licences have many bad habits, the number of bad manoeuvres (e.g. coming off a roundabout, lane discipline, speeding etc) I see on a daily basis is insane. so don't always take the word of any licensed driver as gospel

don't be disheartened by the 50 lessons bit. it is on the high side, but different people have different learning curves. keep at it and it should all fall into place at some point! the cost may one day become an issue, but using your own car with a trusted driver guiding you should help get experience at a lower price

http://www.freeindex.co.uk/

Have a look on this site for different instructor in your area.

Couple of thoughts about driving in your own car. I did this a couple of years back for both my kids. It was great practice for them, if a bit heart stopping for me sometimes! But I did find that some of the techniques they had been taught were very different to what I had been taught 30 years ago. I spoke to their instructor about this (who was good) and he explained that the current driving test was very much a tick box system and that he taught to pass the test, which was slightly different than just being taught to drive. After that I kept my advice to them mostly to myself and they passed with no issues. Also worth noting that one took about 60 hours and the other about 25 hours with same instructor. Main difference seemed to be one of confidence rather than skill or knowledge.

louisebarker

Feel brilliant after reading this. I had been toying with this idea, but … Feel brilliant after reading this. I had been toying with this idea, but everybody that I have asked has said 'not sure' etc. I think I will tell him I'm going to have a break tomorrow. x

I did it this way, went on a 70+ mile drive a few days later and had no worries about driving anywhere from then on

do the above for a couple of months / few weeks depending on how you get on and then book a lesson elsewhere, then see what fine tuning you need to pass a test

can't beat experience driving around in your own car
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Which Zelda Game?79
      2. random company selling fifa 18 for £29.9533
      3. Cinema 24122
      4. Recommend accurate weighing scales22

See more discussions