Driving lessons guidance

Posted 25th Oct
Hi All - I Have been driving manual car back in India for a long time and I have obviously cultivated quite a lot of bad habits like excessive use of clutch.

I have started to learn driving in UK from the instructor but I am finding that the instructor is giving me too many instructions that my mind gets confused between - the mistake I have just made, the YouTube videos I have been seeing and constant Banting from the instructor that I just zone out.

Should I change the instructor, or should I try something else? Really confused. Need to get license by 2nd December as my wife is pregnant and the baby is expected by 18th Dec.

Any help and guidance or tips would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
V in ek
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Don’t watch to much on YouTube as everyone has a different approach. Maybe try a different instructor for one session without telling your current one about it and see how it goes.
16 Comments
Don’t watch to much on YouTube as everyone has a different approach. Maybe try a different instructor for one session without telling your current one about it and see how it goes.
Life still goes on after a baby enters the family so I wouldn't panic too much about that.

I really believe compatibility between learner and instructor makes a big difference. I changed instructor 3 times. The 3rd one was perfect for me.

Ask around for recommendations and try someone else.

And yes, that Indian driving won't work here mate! Too many rules
Stop watching UTube as your stressing out. Concentrate more on what your instructor is saying to you and keep your concentration during the lesson - zoning out is a complete waste and you learn nothing. Life doesnt end if your baby comes before the licence, I got my licence 10 years later. Calming down is probably your best option right now. Listen and follow the instructor more and you will make more progress.
what do you struggle with the most whilst driving?

gear change and clutch control?

the signs / changing lanes?

speeding / braking?
Either change instructor or actually listen. Forget everything you learned in India and pretend you haven’t driven before (hard to do but will help).

If you do change try to find an older instructor that is more relaxed as they will just let you drive and give you tips. It might also be worth doing lessons in an area nearby (say next town over) rather than around home where you know the area as this will help you focus as you won’t know the roads.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 25th Oct
cache25/10/2019 15:44

what do you struggle with the most whilst driving?gear change and clutch …what do you struggle with the most whilst driving?gear change and clutch control?the signs / changing lanes?speeding / braking?

I struggle to follow the order for e.g. mirrors, signal, position etc and also then the speed at which I am taking left or right is slightly higher..the challenge with the instructor is I make a mistake and I between a turn or maneovour she will start telling me what wrong I did and I end up making all the more mistakes as I get distracted trying to process so many instructions
cmdr_elito25/10/2019 15:45

Either change instructor or actually listen. Forget everything you learned …Either change instructor or actually listen. Forget everything you learned in India and pretend you haven’t driven before (hard to do but will help).If you do change try to find an older instructor that is more relaxed as they will just let you drive and give you tips. It might also be worth doing lessons in an area nearby (say next town over) rather than around home where you know the area as this will help you focus as you won’t know the roads.

The instructor is old has 33 years of experience I am confused if all instructors will be the same in terms of giving brain dump of instructions!
Remember that you are not learning to drive, you are learning how to pass a specific test. The instructor is trying to teach you the method of driving that the examiner expects to see. There are no short cuts, learn the method or fail.
Regarding the instructor himself. (speaking as a former instructor in a different, but related field) it is poor technique to correct the student mid manoeuvre, the ability to hear and comprehend verbal instruction rapidly deteriorates in a stressful situation, so he should be correcting you after the event rather than during, unless, of course, he has to intervene for safety reasons. I'd would suggest that you might take a single lesson with another instructor for an appraisal of where you are, preferably one than has come from a personal recommendation.
Suggest changing instructors as well.Look me three instructors to get the right one who could explain patiently where i had gone wrong.good luck.
airbus33025/10/2019 16:14

Remember that you are not learning to drive, you are learning how to pass …Remember that you are not learning to drive, you are learning how to pass a specific test. The instructor is trying to teach you the method of driving that the examiner expects to see. There are no short cuts, learn the method or fail.Regarding the instructor himself. (speaking as a former instructor in a different, but related field) it is poor technique to correct the student mid manoeuvre, the ability to hear and comprehend verbal instruction rapidly deteriorates in a stressful situation, so he should be correcting you after the event rather than during, unless, of course, he has to intervene for safety reasons. I'd would suggest that you might take a single lesson with another instructor for an appraisal of where you are, preferably one than has come from a personal recommendation.

freedeals2125/10/2019 16:00

I struggle to follow the order for e.g. mirrors, signal, position etc and …I struggle to follow the order for e.g. mirrors, signal, position etc and also then the speed at which I am taking left or right is slightly higher..the challenge with the instructor is I make a mistake and I between a turn or maneovour she will start telling me what wrong I did and I end up making all the more mistakes as I get distracted trying to process so many instructions

i think maybe talk to your instructor is the best idea, explain that you want to learn something like 'mirror, signal, manoeuvre" and then move on to more complex drives, as you are struggling to process more information whilst concentrating on the drive

you are paying them, you should be able to feel you can ask them for instructions in the way you want to receive them and not feel over-burdened, otherwise you may leave, or stop completely.

i would also consider getting into the habit of checking your mirrors often, not just when moving across, as cyclists, motorbikes and even deer may jump out at any moment, and it's nice to know where you can move to, before you have to.

hope this helps!
It's good that you are learning to drive and have that ambition to try and get it sorted before your little one comes along.

Are you also prepared for the excessive insurance and maybe maintenance costs for a car? It's been a while since I went through that, but these days it can cost in excess of a £1000 for insurance.
My dad was a driving instructor for several years and taught myself, my brother, my fiancé and several of my friends to drive. I’m obviously biased but he was excellent with his way of teaching. He always believed you have to get on with your instructor...if in any way you feel uncomfortable or their way of teaching isn’t working for you then you need to find another instructor until you do. Each person learns a different way and instructors teach differently.

Try not to factor in the baby. Plenty of other ways to manage so don’t allow that to pile on the pressure! - I did pass my test when I was 36 weeks pregnant but it was very nerve wracking.

I agree with some previous comments that maybe going back to basics will help. Hearing stories from my dad he had loads of pupils over the years who picked up bad habits from their parents’ teaching them to drive or just people being careless and not paying enough attention. Just take things slowly, it’s better to be safe than sorry and maybe going back to more basic driving is what you need to get use to driving here.

When I passed my test the cheapest insurance was with a black box being fitted to my car. I earned extra miles for safe driving and at the end of the year I got a huge reduction as I had scored 96-98% each month for my driving. Having it installed definitely made me more aware, not to mention the savings it gives you.

Good luck with the test and the upcoming arrival - just remember the most important thing is to stay calm and focused when driving

(And I would suggest a trial lesson with another instructor just to see if that’s the issue)
vicstar11525/10/2019 22:54

My dad was a driving instructor for several years and taught myself, my …My dad was a driving instructor for several years and taught myself, my brother, my fiancé and several of my friends to drive. I’m obviously biased but he was excellent with his way of teaching. He always believed you have to get on with your instructor...if in any way you feel uncomfortable or their way of teaching isn’t working for you then you need to find another instructor until you do. Each person learns a different way and instructors teach differently. Try not to factor in the baby. Plenty of other ways to manage so don’t allow that to pile on the pressure! - I did pass my test when I was 36 weeks pregnant but it was very nerve wracking. I agree with some previous comments that maybe going back to basics will help. Hearing stories from my dad he had loads of pupils over the years who picked up bad habits from their parents’ teaching them to drive or just people being careless and not paying enough attention. Just take things slowly, it’s better to be safe than sorry and maybe going back to more basic driving is what you need to get use to driving here. When I passed my test the cheapest insurance was with a black box being fitted to my car. I earned extra miles for safe driving and at the end of the year I got a huge reduction as I had scored 96-98% each month for my driving. Having it installed definitely made me more aware, not to mention the savings it gives you.Good luck with the test and the upcoming arrival - just remember the most important thing is to stay calm and focused when driving :)(And I would suggest a trial lesson with another instructor just to see if that’s the issue)

Thank you so very much. I think you are right I should try a test lesson with someone else to see if I am doing something wrong or may be I need a slightly different style of coaching! I learnt skiing this year at the age of 36 and within 3 days I was able to ski, I felt because the ski instructor was very good. I am sure driving is very different with so many rules to follow but I am sure with a good coach/teacher it should not be as stressful as it currently seems! Thanks once again!
freedeals2125/10/2019 23:02

Thank you so very much. I think you are right I should try a test lesson …Thank you so very much. I think you are right I should try a test lesson with someone else to see if I am doing something wrong or may be I need a slightly different style of coaching! I learnt skiing this year at the age of 36 and within 3 days I was able to ski, I felt because the ski instructor was very good. I am sure driving is very different with so many rules to follow but I am sure with a good coach/teacher it should not be as stressful as it currently seems! Thanks once again!

I would really give it a go, explain to them the troubles you’re having with your current instructor and if they are the right one for you they will understand and help you find the right way to learn for you. Even my dad has admitted to pupils they needed a different way of learning and he’s told them to go to other people which has worked for them

Well done to skiing! Not something you do everyday either. But yes, driving shouldn’t be stressful at all with an instructor, it should actually be one of the most stress less times as you’ve got someone guiding you. I think you just need it simplified and some patience and you’ll crack it in no time, the instructor shouldn’t be telling you where you went wrong during a manoeuvre :/ Hopefully you can find someone you can work with
As an ex driving instructor of over 30 years,instructiing on cars/psv and hgv I will give you a bit of advice,Change instructor straight away.You are been what we call over instructed.You shouldnt be bombarded with faults as you are making mistakes but casually have it mentioned to you when on a quiet bit of the drive.If you do it again we are taught to tell you to pull up at the side of the road and have it explained to you again and . then practice that fault till you get it right.Some instructors do tend to over instruct and this does nothing to settle the pupil but causes undue stress.All pupils are different some pick it up easier than others and some are downright numpties.I remember telling one young kid to turn right at a roundabout and he asked me if he needed to signal.I told him to imagine the roundabout as a clock face and if the turn was past 12 o'clock he would need to signal.He turned to me and said what time is it now !!!!!! Change instructor and good luck for the test.Remember the examiner doesnt know you or what type of driver you are so relax him by giving him a smooth,safe and relaxing drive and you will be ok.
DracUK25/10/2019 23:56

As an ex driving instructor of over 30 years,instructiing on cars/psv and …As an ex driving instructor of over 30 years,instructiing on cars/psv and hgv I will give you a bit of advice,Change instructor straight away.You are been what we call over instructed.You shouldnt be bombarded with faults as you are making mistakes but casually have it mentioned to you when on a quiet bit of the drive.If you do it again we are taught to tell you to pull up at the side of the road and have it explained to you again and . then practice that fault till you get it right.Some instructors do tend to over instruct and this does nothing to settle the pupil but causes undue stress.All pupils are different some pick it up easier than others and some are downright numpties.I remember telling one young kid to turn right at a roundabout and he asked me if he needed to signal.I told him to imagine the roundabout as a clock face and if the turn was past 12 o'clock he would need to signal.He turned to me and said what time is it now !!!!!! Change instructor and good luck for the test.Remember the examiner doesnt know you or what type of driver you are so relax him by giving him a smooth,safe and relaxing drive and you will be ok.

Thank you so much. I think you are absolutely right. I feel I am unable to do simple things as well now as my confidence to drive is utterly shaken. I think I need to start afresh with another instructor and see how it goes. That’s really thankful and nice of you. Much appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants