Driving licence motorcycle entitlements ?

Found 25th Feb 2016
Hi, just been looking at my driving licence and categories on it. I passed my car test back in 1982. I want to know what I can legally ride motorcycle wise ? My licence shows I can provisionally ride vehicles in 'category A' , If I look at my licence details online it shows I have provisional 'category A' entitlement, and the description of that is 'You can drive any size motorbike, with or without a sidecar' . Any help would be appreciated.
Community Updates
AskMotorcycle
9 Comments
You can ride a 50cc moped on your license I believe without the need of further training/tests.

If you wish to ride up 125cc then you need to complete a CBT or if you wish to ride bigger bikes then you need to complete your full test.

In my opinion though even if you wish to ride a 50cc I would urge you to take the CBT anyway, what you will learn is very valuable to being a safer rider.

Edited by: "joshp" 25th Feb 2016
Yeah got can ride 50cc bikes without the need for a cbt, I did it for a year (passed my car test in 1987) if you want bigger (up to 125cc) you need to do a cbt and that lasts 2 years before you have to redo it.
Licence gives me full entitlement for a moped, without L plates or further test. I know that for a fact.
No mention on Dvla website re further conditions for category A
Provisional means you haven't passed for a bigger bike, do your test and you can, I don't understand that licence details information, it can read like you can ride any sized bike now but you can't!
try the highway code
yorkypikey

Licence gives me full entitlement for a moped, without L plates or … Licence gives me full entitlement for a moped, without L plates or further test. I know that for a fact. No mention on Dvla website re further conditions for category A

You're welcome by the way.

Categories have changed over time, an A license is now what you need to ride all sizes of motorbikes with no restrictions. You need to complete your CBT, theory and bike test for this - no exceptions.
louthepoo

Provisional means you haven't passed for a bigger bike, do your test and … Provisional means you haven't passed for a bigger bike, do your test and you can, I don't understand that licence details information, it can read like you can ride any sized bike now but you can't!

That's how it does read to me, initially it reads like I can just hop on a 1200cc M/C with sidecar , stick 'L' plates on and away I go.
ⁿ^
H
yorkypikey

That's how it does read to me, initially it reads like I can just hop on … That's how it does read to me, initially it reads like I can just hop on a 1200cc M/C with sidecar , stick 'L' plates on and away I go.

Years ago you could do that ,used to get a sidecar called sidewinder I think almost just a bit of plastic with a wheel on but could ride a 1000cc on learner plates
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants