Driving licence motorcycle entitlements ?

Found 25th Feb 2016
Hi, just been looking at my driving licence and categories on it. I passed my car test back in 1982. I want to know what I can legally ride motorcycle wise ? My licence shows I can provisionally ride vehicles in 'category A' , If I look at my licence details online it shows I have provisional 'category A' entitlement, and the description of that is 'You can drive any size motorbike, with or without a sidecar' . Any help would be appreciated.
Community Updates
9 Comments
You can ride a 50cc moped on your license I believe without the need of further training/tests.

If you wish to ride up 125cc then you need to complete a CBT or if you wish to ride bigger bikes then you need to complete your full test.

In my opinion though even if you wish to ride a 50cc I would urge you to take the CBT anyway, what you will learn is very valuable to being a safer rider.

Edited by: "joshp" 25th Feb 2016
Yeah got can ride 50cc bikes without the need for a cbt, I did it for a year (passed my car test in 1987) if you want bigger (up to 125cc) you need to do a cbt and that lasts 2 years before you have to redo it.
Original Poster
Licence gives me full entitlement for a moped, without L plates or further test. I know that for a fact.
No mention on Dvla website re further conditions for category A
Provisional means you haven't passed for a bigger bike, do your test and you can, I don't understand that licence details information, it can read like you can ride any sized bike now but you can't!
Banned
try the highway code
yorkypikey

Licence gives me full entitlement for a moped, without L plates or … Licence gives me full entitlement for a moped, without L plates or further test. I know that for a fact. No mention on Dvla website re further conditions for category A

You're welcome by the way.

Categories have changed over time, an A license is now what you need to ride all sizes of motorbikes with no restrictions. You need to complete your CBT, theory and bike test for this - no exceptions.
Original Poster
louthepoo

Provisional means you haven't passed for a bigger bike, do your test and … Provisional means you haven't passed for a bigger bike, do your test and you can, I don't understand that licence details information, it can read like you can ride any sized bike now but you can't!

That's how it does read to me, initially it reads like I can just hop on a 1200cc M/C with sidecar , stick 'L' plates on and away I go.
ⁿ^
H
yorkypikey

That's how it does read to me, initially it reads like I can just hop on … That's how it does read to me, initially it reads like I can just hop on a 1200cc M/C with sidecar , stick 'L' plates on and away I go.

Years ago you could do that ,used to get a sidecar called sidewinder I think almost just a bit of plastic with a wheel on but could ride a 1000cc on learner plates
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions