Expired

Driving licence out of date and now had speeding ticket

Found 5th Mar 2013
Anyone have any advice thanks

Sister had a speeding ticket in post today. And went to get her driving licence out to submit and noticed it was out of date end of December 2012.

What on earth can she do please.

How long does it take for a new licence to arrive. And if it arrives within 28 days in order to pay the speeding case, will she be charged for having no valid driving licence.

16 Comments

get a new one quick fill it all in send the fine off and the licence and hope to god they don't notice.

Original Poster

she is going into post office tomorrow to get pics done and submit form and then as soon as licence arrives will submit with money for ticket. When they check the licence is in date if they notice that the licence is dated after the ticket they might just assume that the old licence covered her. She is worried sick. I cannot believe she could do something so silly, as surely in the meantime whilst waiting for her new licence she infact is driving without a valid driving licence.

Fob your 3 points off on somebody else!

Banned

Do you need to send your licence in with the fine payment then?

I got mine sorted at the post office, they sent it off. (a bit like fast track passports I think) I got my new one in a couple of days. I think I paid a little bit extra for this service. Only at participating.post offices.

Original Poster

csiman

yes

Not just not having a licence but also no insurance (as no licence) and yes they will check issue date against the date of the fine and then check the their system to see the full licence details, basically they do all the checks that a copper would if they pulled you over. Is she sure she was actually driving the car at the time? ;-)

Worse case scenario is 3 points for speeding, 6 points for no insurance and 3 to 6 for driving without a licence, basically a six month ban.

Edited by: "Argoj" 5th Mar 2013

Banned

Isnt it only the card part which is expired???

Im sure the last time i got a speeding ticket i went to the courthouse and paid the fine there in cash. The lady on the other side of the glass took the paper part of my licence and wrote my fixed penality onto it. Dont think she even needed the card part.

csiman

Yes so the points can be added

Original Poster

crebera

Isnt it only the card part which is expired???Im sure the last time i got … Isnt it only the card part which is expired???Im sure the last time i got a speeding ticket i went to the courthouse and paid the fine there in cash. The lady on the other side of the glass took the paper part of my licence and wrote my fixed penality onto it. Dont think she even needed the card part.

Yes our local fixed penalty office you cant go in person you have to send it in they dont accept callers at door. You send in licence with photocard and paper and they check it over. However they are so short staffed and under pressure at the moment that they only just skim the surface of the checks. So I think they will look that the licence is in date and just add points and take money. Notify DVLA and then the deed is done.

pinkladyof66

Yes our local fixed penalty office you cant go in person you have to send … Yes our local fixed penalty office you cant go in person you have to send it in they dont accept callers at door. You send in licence with photocard and paper and they check it over. However they are so short staffed and under pressure at the moment that they only just skim the surface of the checks. So I think they will look that the licence is in date and just add points and take money. Notify DVLA and then the deed is done.

It will not work quite like that as they have to enter the points into the computer and they are added as of the date of the offence, the computer will say NO! invalid licence.

Your licence IS still valid until your 70th birthday. Your photo has expired which "can" carry a fine of upto £1000. The photo is for ID only and lasts for 10 years. DVLA send letters to remind you 6 months prior to your last known/recorded address. You can continue to drive without affecting your insurance as long as there are no medical issues or you haven't been disqualified.

The Therapist

Your licence IS still valid until your 70th birthday. Your photo has … Your licence IS still valid until your 70th birthday. Your photo has expired which "can" carry a fine of upto £1000. The photo is for ID only and lasts for 10 years. DVLA send letters to remind you 6 months prior to your last known/recorded address. You can continue to drive without affecting your insurance as long as there are no medical issues or you haven't been disqualified.

Correct, you are still insured and it is only the photo which has expired, DVLA will have your new license back to you in under 2 weeks, even if they are busy.

Original Poster

have just checked my paper licence and it does in fact say the licence is valid til 2036 which is my 70th birthday so my sister would still have had a valid licence (albeit not a photographic one) so I am sure she is gonna be ok. When they check with dvla it will show she does have a valid licence.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions