Driving manual

Found 29th Aug 2017Edited by:"PraxxtorCruel"
Looking for advice.

I struggle keeping my clutch foot on the floor as a result it causes me great instability when lifting of the clutch as my whole leg is in the air.

Ive tried different cars and all seating positions but nothing works. Recently having watched others drive and others watching me drive the conclusion to my troubles is that the arch of my foot, roughly were the ankle is does not bend enough to allow me to plant my heel on the floor. So what happens when i start to lift off the clutch and then attempt to plant my heel on the floor for support to lift the clutch its remaining distance it just gets stuck as my foot wont arch any further. As a result i got to remove my whole leg back and i end up releasing the clutch poorly.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Have you seen someone about your ankles ?
Get an automatic.
Not quite sure I follow - you have to lift/move your whole leg, you can't just flex your foot.

After you have released the clutch then you put your heel down.

How long have you been driving for?
st8mike9 m ago

Get an automatic.

+1
Yep it sounds to me like you need to buy an automatic. It will remove your problem.
Bigfootpete27 m ago

Not quite sure I follow - you have to lift/move your whole leg, you can't …Not quite sure I follow - you have to lift/move your whole leg, you can't just flex your foot.After you have released the clutch then you put your heel down.How long have you been driving for?

when you press in the clutch your foot lifts off the floor but when youre releasing it dont you plant your heel on the floor for stability. What i mean is as you proceed to lift off the clutch your leg hovers until you find the right point to plant your heel on the floor and then carry out the remaining travel the clutch must go while using your heel to support and stabilize so its a smooth transition. Been driving several years.
Edited by: "PraxxtorCruel" 29th Aug 2017
Auto is the magic solution but i am stubborn and dont want to let this defeat me.
kester7627 m ago

Have you seen someone about your ankles ?

Physio are always telling me i am very stiff. I stretch and stretch and stretch but i revert to stiff in no less than a minute. I believe it is a contributory factor as i feel my leg muscles pulling like crazy when operating the clutch.
PraxxtorCruel14 m ago

Physio are always telling me i am very stiff. I stretch and stretch and …Physio are always telling me i am very stiff. I stretch and stretch and stretch but i revert to stiff in no less than a minute. I believe it is a contributory factor as i feel my leg muscles pulling like crazy when operating the clutch.

Without knowing what disability you have in the ankle it's hard to say but the issue you have is quite common. I have a dodgy left kneecap that sometimes dislocates and so can be awkward using the clutch sometimes. You could always have the clutch modified to make it easier to use. Also some cars have a foot rest left of the clutch like on the older clios.
Mine has a DSG gearbox. You can use it in automatic or semi manual. You can do the gear changing bit and it does the clutch bit. Might solve your problem
Getting an auto is not admitting defeat, I'd advise people to do it without any leg problems. They used to be thirsty in the old days when they were just 3 speed but now 6,7 & 8 speed auto/semi auto is the norm.
PraxxtorCruel2 h, 46 m ago

when you press in the clutch your foot lifts off the floor but when youre …when you press in the clutch your foot lifts off the floor but when youre releasing it dont you plant your heel on the floor for stability. What i mean is as you proceed to lift off the clutch your leg hovers until you find the right point to plant your heel on the floor and then carry out the remaining travel the clutch must go while using your heel to support and stabilize so its a smooth transition. Been driving several years.

I use my leg when using the clutch. I certainly dont just use my ankle joint. That must be really hard work!
PraxxtorCruel3 h, 28 m ago

when you press in the clutch your foot lifts off the floor but when youre …when you press in the clutch your foot lifts off the floor but when youre releasing it dont you plant your heel on the floor for stability. What i mean is as you proceed to lift off the clutch your leg hovers until you find the right point to plant your heel on the floor and then carry out the remaining travel the clutch must go while using your heel to support and stabilize so its a smooth transition. Been driving several years.

Nope, I've never done it that way, you go slow and feel the 'bite' point as you release the clutch, and then you can pretty much just let go.
When driving a car you haven't driven before it's a matter of finding the bite point, so might be a bit rough at first, after a short while it should be easy and smooth and you should be faster at changing gear too.

If you do it your way there is a danger of getting your foot caught, use the ball of your foot and the heel shouldn't touch the floor until you've taken your foot off the clutch.

When I first starting driving at 16 I swore I would never get an auto, but after driving enough crappy manuals and in cities with far too many sets of badly managed traffic lights I've realised how much nicer and easier it is to drive an auto.
Sounds like you're seat in wrong position. Sit in it as far forward as you can and move one click back each time until comfy.
chocci4 h, 24 m ago

I use my leg when using the clutch. I certainly dont just use my ankle …I use my leg when using the clutch. I certainly dont just use my ankle joint. That must be really hard work!

This. I use my leg when working the clutch and my foot just provides the contact to the clutch. I am female and i don't have strong legs so i find that i have to put in a lot of effort to apply enough pressure to push the clutch in, i have to stamp the clutch really to get it to depress and then when it realeases, i have to keep the pressure on it to stop it releasing too quickly which causes loss of control of the car.

on the rare occasion that i drive through central london where traffic moves very slowly, i have to do clutching a lot more often as i am continually changing gear. At the end of which, my knees really hurt.

if you are a man, then you should not have any issue with the clutch at all as your legs would be strong enough, unless you are old and fragile.

i am going to get an automatic car when our car needs renewing
You are too far forward in the seat, Move it back. You are on top of the clutch pedal.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions