Driving safe in snow

Found 28th Feb
Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
TLDR

And what I did read is what every driver should do anytime they drive.

So to save people time reading gunk

If you don't need to go out then don't
If you do need to drive - drive much slower than usual
- keep a bigger distance between you and the car in front
- look further ahead than the car in front to give you plenty of warning to whats happening with speed/traffic

If you do loose traction and it's safe to do so - steer towards the direction the car is sliding ease off the accelerator (don't brake) and you should get some traction back but this is rare as our roads are narrow/crammed

Oh and clean off all the snow from your car not just your windows

Typo fail break/brake - who cares?
Edited by: "philphil61" 28th Feb
philphil6114 m ago

TLDRAnd what I did read is what every driver should do anytime they …TLDRAnd what I did read is what every driver should do anytime they drive.So to save people time reading gunkIf you don't need to go out then don'tIf you do need to drive - drive much slower than usual - keep a bigger distance between you and the car in front - look further ahead than the car in front to give you plenty of warning to whats happening with speed/trafficIf you do loose traction and it's safe to do so - steer towards the direction the car is sliding ease off the accelerator (don't brake) and you should get some traction back but this is rare as our roads are narrow/crammedOh and clean off all the snow from your car not just your windowsTypo fail break/brake - who cares?

Too many people in a hurry trying to get to work/School without clearing the whole car is just plain dangerous. They can't see out of their windows, you can't see the lights /indicators and a sudden brake or gust of wind could leave them temporarily driving blind. It makes me angry that people put others at risk because they don't know the driving laws or can't be bothered to do it properly . I go out and start the engine then sweep/scrape the whole car before I go anywhere.
Edited by: "loumar76" 28th Feb
philphil6117 m ago

TLDRAnd what I did read is what every driver should do anytime they …TLDRAnd what I did read is what every driver should do anytime they drive.So to save people time reading gunkIf you don't need to go out then don'tIf you do need to drive - drive much slower than usual - keep a bigger distance between you and the car in front - look further ahead than the car in front to give you plenty of warning to whats happening with speed/trafficIf you do loose traction and it's safe to do so - steer towards the direction the car is sliding ease off the accelerator (don't break) and you should get some traction back but this is rare as our roads are narrow/crammedOh and clean off all the snow from your car not just your windows

Thank you, Jeremy. Any more tips on safe driving in these conditions?

Be careful out there!!

• Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up. - Is that a thing?
Is this a parody site?

• Always look and steer where you want to go.

As opposed to ?
philphil611 h, 53 m ago

Typo fail break/brake - who cares?

The same people who care about the difference between loose and lose.
CoeK3 m ago

The same people who care about the difference between loose and lose.

I could care less
Bobbajob25 m ago

Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up. - Is …Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up. - Is that a thing?

Possibly a risk in a severe mid-west USA winter with temperatures of minus 20 or lower but I doubt it'd happen in the UK.

I always keep the tank at least half full in the winter for a completely different reason though, in case there's major weather related traffic problems and you're stuck in the car for hours on end, at least you have plenty of fuel to keep the engine running and heater on the whole time.
Edited by: "spoo" 28th Feb
I've been watching a van try and get up the hill outside my house for about an hour now. He's been spinning his wheels, hit a wall, mounted the kerb numerous times and been sidewards on across both lanes.
Give it up man.
fivegoldstars35 m ago

I've been watching a van try and get up the hill outside my house for …I've been watching a van try and get up the hill outside my house for about an hour now. He's been spinning his wheels, hit a wall, mounted the kerb numerous times and been sidewards on across both lanes.Give it up man.

Go out and give him a push
You can have Miss Daisy driving on snow and it still wont be a foolproof prevention of crashing.
You always hear the common ones such as [avoid driving in the snow, slow down, take a snow shovel and blankets etc...]

But its less common to hear other, more practical approaches:

- Winter Tyres/Snow Socks will help tremendously with traction in the snow.
[Put it this way - £1000's of damage or £150 of snow tyres (or even £30 worth of snow socks)]

- Stick to clear, gritted main roads. Avoid gradients if possible.
- A cheap bag of cat litter (Asda Smartprice) is a good alternative for when there is a grit shortage for helping with tyre traction
118luke36 m ago

You can have Miss Daisy driving on snow and it still wont be a foolproof …You can have Miss Daisy driving on snow and it still wont be a foolproof prevention of crashing.You always hear the common ones such as [avoid driving in the snow, slow down, take a snow shovel and blankets etc...]But its less common to hear other, more practical approaches:- Winter Tyres/Snow Socks will help tremendously with traction in the snow. [Put it this way - £1000's of damage or £150 of snow tyres (or even £30 worth of snow socks)]- Stick to clear, gritted main roads. Avoid gradients if possible.- A cheap bag of cat litter (Asda Smartprice) is a good alternative for when there is a grit shortage for helping with tyre traction

Miss Daisy is a rubbish driver, that's why she paid someone else to do it for her.
fivegoldstars2 h, 23 m ago

I've been watching a van try and get up the hill outside my house for …I've been watching a van try and get up the hill outside my house for about an hour now. He's been spinning his wheels, hit a wall, mounted the kerb numerous times and been sidewards on across both lanes.Give it up man.

CoeK1 h, 48 m ago

Go out and give him a push

That's one option. Another would be to take the phone out and record it. I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind watching it too
I'm quite happy in front of the fire.
Besides, it looks like we've had about eight inches now, though the wife insists it's closer to four.
Saturn5 m ago

Big difference. I remember you saying that she was distracted last winter …Big difference. I remember you saying that she was distracted last winter by your neighbour's balls banging against her back door.

Not that I recall, but then again everything before last Thursday is a bit of a blur.
spoo13 h, 23 m ago

Possibly a risk in a severe mid-west USA winter with temperatures of minus …Possibly a risk in a severe mid-west USA winter with temperatures of minus 20 or lower but I doubt it'd happen in the UK. I always keep the tank at least half full in the winter for a completely different reason though, in case there's major weather related traffic problems and you're stuck in the car for hours on end, at least you have plenty of fuel to keep the engine running and heater on the whole time.

Oh no, it definitely can happen in the UK. If it's below freezing you can get a problem. My wife had the habit of running our second car, ie not main car, down to almost fumes when she used it to commute. I told her not to, but she kept doing it. Come a big freeze, think it was the 2010, the car wouldn't start. Guessed what the problem was, put a fan heater under the fuel filter, under the sill, and bingo got the car started. Then I added a small amount of isopropyl alcohol, or possibly methylated spirit, to the tank, and never had the problem again The problem is caused because fuel can be contaminated with small amounts of water, it condenses and being heavier than the fuel ends up in the bottom of the tank, together with any dirt or other scunge. When the fuel level gets low the fuel float pickup starts taking up the water and dirt with the fuel, which then freezes in the filter or pipework causing a blockage. Hence why it's best not to let your tank get very low.
Edited by: "VDisillusioned" 1st Mar
Bobbajob13 h, 53 m ago

Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up. - Is …Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up. - Is that a thing?

Definitely is, due to water contamination freezing in the fuel lines, see above.
VDisillusioned8 h, 51 m ago

Oh no, it definitely can happen in the UK. If it's below freezing you can …Oh no, it definitely can happen in the UK. If it's below freezing you can get a problem. My wife had the habit of running our second car, ie not main car, down to almost fumes when she used it to commute. I told her not to, but she kept doing it. Come a big freeze, think it was the 2010, the car wouldn't start. Guessed what the problem was, put a fan heater under the fuel filter, under the sill, and bingo got the car started. Then I added a small amount of isopropyl alcohol, or possibly methylated spirit, to the tank, and never had the problem again The problem is caused because fuel can be contaminated with small amounts of water, it condenses and being heavier than the fuel ends up in the bottom of the tank, together with any dirt or other scunge. When the fuel level gets low the fuel float pickup starts taking up the water and dirt with the fuel, which then freezes in the filter or pipework causing a blockage. Hence why it's best not to let your tank get very low.

Ah okay, didn't think that would happen in UK winter temperatures.
Came off my motorbike on the way home from work last night, ended up with my bike in the ditch by the side of the road. Nothing broken but felt a bit sore here and there.

Luckily I was able to pull myself clear of the bike and very shortly afterwards, just as I was getting to my feet and removing my helmet, a car came down the road and pulled up beside me. Out of the car stepped this gorgeous young lady. Long blonde hair, short skirt, with coat unbuttoned.

'Here, give me your hand,' she said, reaching over to help me out of the ditch. As she leaned over I caught the scent of one of those expensive French perfumes and couldn't help but notice the top three buttons of her blouse were also undone exposing a rather magnificent cleavage inside a tight frilly bra.

'Are you okay? Anything broken?' she breathed.

'Yes thanks' I replied, 'No problem, just a little winded.'

Not accepting me so lightly brushing off any possible injuries the young lady put her hand to my brow and showed me traces of blood on her fingers. And by now the grazes on my chin and nose, which I hadn't noticed before, were beginning to sting. And as she helped me climb out of the ditch I could now feel some stinging pain from scrapes and bangs on my knees and hip.

'Look' she said 'I only live down the road. Why don't you come back with me and I can check you over for any injuries'.

'That's very kind of you,' I said, 'but I'm married and I don't think my wife would approve'.

'Don't be silly. I'm a nurse. In fact I'm just on my way home from work. Let's get you back to my place. Your wife surely wouldn't object to a nurse checking you over for injuries and cleaning those cuts and grazes, now would she.'

'I ... don't ... suppose so,' I replied cautiously. And so she helped me in to her car and she drove me drove a couple of miles down the road to her cottage in the next village. Here she helped me out of my jacket and trousers and gently cleaned my wounds with Dettol, cotton wool and warm water.

'Why don't you spend the night here to recover', she said, looking me straight in the eyes. 'I can make up the spare bed, or you could share with me.'

'That's awfully, er, tempting', I stuttered, 'but as I said, I'm married and I really don't think my wife would appreciate it.'

'Don't be silly.' she said, I told you, I'm a nurse. You need to rest and recover. And anyway, your wife isn't here is she?'

'Well ... no, ... I suppose not'. I replied.

'Where is your wife anyway?'

'Still in the ditch I should have thought.'
philphil6128th Feb

TLDRAnd what I did read is what every driver should do anytime they …TLDRAnd what I did read is what every driver should do anytime they drive.So to save people time reading gunkIf you don't need to go out then don'tIf you do need to drive - drive much slower than usual - keep a bigger distance between you and the car in front - look further ahead than the car in front to give you plenty of warning to whats happening with speed/trafficIf you do loose traction and it's safe to do so - steer towards the direction the car is sliding ease off the accelerator (don't brake) and you should get some traction back but this is rare as our roads are narrow/crammedOh and clean off all the snow from your car not just your windowsTypo fail break/brake - who cares?

You forgot loose, it is LOSE
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants