Driving test changes from December 2017

Found 6th Nov 2017
Some of you will be aware, others not so thought i'd flag!

Driving Tests are changing from Dec 2017, including the use of Sat Navs amongst other things - Do you think it goes far enough? If not, what changes would you like to see? Maybe Motorway Driving?

The changes will only apply to car driving tests to begin with.

The 4 driving test changes

1. Independent driving part of the test will increase to 20 minutesThe independent driving part of the test currently lasts around 10 minutes. During this part of the test, you have to drive without turn-by-turn directions from the driving examiner.

This part of the test will be made longer, so it’ll last around 20 minutes - roughly half of the test.

2. Following directions from a sat navDuring the independent driving part of the test, most candidates will be asked to follow directions from a sat nav.

The examiner will provide the sat nav (a TomTom Start 52) and set it up. You won’t need to set the route - the examiner will do this for you. So, it doesn’t matter what make or model of sat nav you practise with.

You can’t follow directions from your own sat nav during the test - you have to use the one supplied by the examiner.

You’ll be able to ask the examiner for confirmation of where you’re going if you’re not sure. It won’t matter if you go the wrong way unless you make a fault while doing it.

One in 5 driving tests won’t use a sat nav. You’ll need to follow traffic signs instead.

3. Reversing manoeuvres will be changedThe ‘reverse around a corner’ and ‘turn-in-the-road’ manoeuvres will no longer be tested, but you should still be taught them by your instructor.

You’ll be asked to do one of 3 possible reversing manoeuvres:

• parallel park at the side of the road
  • park in a bay - either driving in and reversing out, or reversing in and driving out (the examiner will tell you which you have to do)
  • pull up on the right-hand side of the road, reverse for 2 car lengths and rejoin the traffic
4. Answering a vehicle safety question while you’re drivingThe examiner will ask you 2 vehicle safety questions during your driving test - these are known as the ‘show me, tell me’ questions.

You’ll be asked the:

• ‘tell me’ question (where you explain how you’d carry out a safety task) at the start of your test, before you start driving
  • ‘show me’ question (where you show how you’d carry out a safety task) while you’re driving - for example, showing how to wash the windscreen using the car controls and wipers

2822998-jKSRj.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
hass1234 m ago

Hands up, how many of you drivers have ever used the 'reverse around a …Hands up, how many of you drivers have ever used the 'reverse around a corner' manoeuvre since you've passed?

I passed when I was 18. I'm 53 now and I have countless times during my driving career!
90 Comments
deleted1431257
Hands up, how many of you drivers have ever used the 'reverse around a corner' manoeuvre since you've passed?
I did more driving over a decade ago, easily over 25+mins, if I knew it was 10mins, I would set a timer and jump out the window
hass1234 m ago

Hands up, how many of you drivers have ever used the 'reverse around a …Hands up, how many of you drivers have ever used the 'reverse around a corner' manoeuvre since you've passed?

I passed when I was 18. I'm 53 now and I have countless times during my driving career!
Should include parking a "Chelsea Tractor" in a multi storey car park with spaces sized to fit a 1970s size Mini . That's what the reality is these days .
Edited by: "rogparki" 6th Nov 2017
Can we ban learners from entering main roads when they clearly aren't confident doing so?. Can we further that and fine the instructor if they are taking learners on the main roads during rush hour times?. If they are confident and go the speed limit or thereabouts then its ok but majority of them are doing half the speed limit, stalling and generally causing more chaos than needed.

They should all be learning to drive in residential estates first before entering busy main roads.
artnada9 m ago

I passed when I was 18. I'm 53 now and I have countless times during my …I passed when I was 18. I'm 53 now and I have countless times during my driving career!

Agree and see it so often with people doing it onto a main road which of course you shouldn’t do.
rogparki6 m ago

Should include parking a "Chelsea Tractor" in a multi storey car park with …Should include parking a "Chelsea Tractor" in a multi storey car park with spaces sized to fit a 1970s size Mini . That's what the reality is these days .

That, or you have been lying about what eight inches looks like for some time.
J4GG45 m ago

Can we ban learners from entering main roads when they clearly aren't …Can we ban learners from entering main roads when they clearly aren't confident doing so?. Can we further that and fine the instructor if they are taking learners on the main roads during rush hour times?. If they are confident and go the speed limit or thereabouts then its ok but majority of them are doing half the speed limit, stalling and generally causing more chaos than needed.They should all be learning to drive in residential estates first before entering busy main roads.

And run over all the kids who scoot along the roads on skateboards and ride bikes without lights ? That's how it is round our way
J4GG49 m ago

Can we ban learners from entering main roads when they clearly aren't …Can we ban learners from entering main roads when they clearly aren't confident doing so?. Can we further that and fine the instructor if they are taking learners on the main roads during rush hour times?. If they are confident and go the speed limit or thereabouts then its ok but majority of them are doing half the speed limit, stalling and generally causing more chaos than needed.They should all be learning to drive in residential estates first before entering busy main roads.

How will that help them to learn to drive in busy traffic?
fanpages24 m ago

That, or you have been lying about what eight inches looks like for some …That, or you have been lying about what eight inches looks like for some time.

Most of the idle ,obese mums who drive them would need more than 8 inches - to open the door wide enough to get their fat backsides out of the vehicle !
hass12342 m ago

It's much more efficient that a turn in the road if you've got a diddy minor road to reverse into.
I don't think it will make much difference tbh.
I’m 34 and 9 weeks ago thought il get driving before this comes into play

Passed theroy ,walked out booked test for 6 weeks later , had ten lessons and passed first time easy
artnada1 h, 6 m ago

I passed when I was 18. I'm 53 now and I have countless times during my …I passed when I was 18. I'm 53 now and I have countless times during my driving career!

Me too, any time I need to turn around and the road is too narrow to do a 3 point turn without hitting the kerb.
I think some Motorway driver tests should happen too. Waaay to many "middle" lane drivers who clearly dont know how to motorway drive
Went on motorway first time and I think I left my ass on the hard shoulder ,was at night and at rush hour , if anyone is going on m60 near Trafford centre can you please collect it

Mway driving should be part of test and learning for sure
hass1231 h, 39 m ago

Nope never lol
darthvader666uk10 m ago

I think some Motorway driver tests should happen too. Waaay to many …I think some Motorway driver tests should happen too. Waaay to many "middle" lane drivers who clearly dont know how to motorway drive

Slight problem there -
If you live in some parts of Scotland you could be hundreds of miles from a motorway . Even in Wales ,East Anglia ,Cornwall etc you could be over 80 miles to the nearest motorway .
rogparki13 m ago

Slight problem there -If you live in some parts of Scotland you could be …Slight problem there -If you live in some parts of Scotland you could be hundreds of miles from a motorway . Even in Wales ,East Anglia ,Cornwall etc you could be over 80 miles to the nearest motorway .

True I guess, maybe if its impossible to teach everyone, maybe signs should be put up to let people know how to drive? It can be pretty dangerous on the Motorwa where people dont now how to drive it

Though that can be said in maybe other places too I guess.
rogparki2 h, 3 m ago

And run over all the kids who scoot along the roads on skateboards and …And run over all the kids who scoot along the roads on skateboards and ride bikes without lights ? That's how it is round our way

Example link of learners running over kids on skateboards?. Never heard of it before, at least not as a common issue.

Anyway, thats the reason learner cars have dual controls. So the instructor can stop when needed.

And this isn't a problem for the learner, its the parents of the kids who aren't fitting lights to their bikes. So this is down to bad paranting.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 6th Nov 2017
CoeK2 h, 1 m ago

How will that help them to learn to drive in busy traffic?

Very simple.. no?.

They learn to drive in residential areas first. So they're comfortable at driving at the speed limits without stalling..etc.

Then they are taken out on the busy main roads.

Clearly MOST are dumped in the deep end without feeling comfortable driving on main roads.
J4GG417 m ago

Very simple.. no?.They learn to drive in residential areas first. So …Very simple.. no?.They learn to drive in residential areas first. So they're comfortable at driving at the speed limits without stalling..etc.Then they are taken out on the busy main roads.Clearly MOST are dumped in the deep end without feeling comfortable driving on main roads.

They aren't just dumped on the main road. But when you are a learner then you start to feel the pressure when there a load of annoyed drivers around you, that causes you to make mistakes.
CoeK2 h, 13 m ago

They aren't just dumped on the main road. But when you are a learner then …They aren't just dumped on the main road. But when you are a learner then you start to feel the pressure when there a load of annoyed drivers around you, that causes you to make mistakes.

How do the learners know people are annoyed?. Mind reading?. If im behind a learner going slug slow, I will be annoyed, but I wouldn't be ranting and raving out the window or blowing the horn, since doing that doesn't solve anything.

Like i said, if they're doing 10mph in a 30mph then they clearly aren't up for driving on busy roads yet. And as i said also, most of them don't go anywhere near the speed limit. Or pull off from a clear roundabout. They aren't confident yet, so why slow down 100's of people in busy rush hours traffic because 1 person can't maintain a safe speed.

If i was an instructor i'd be only letting them drive around residential areas first. But I understand others don't have common sense like myself.
J4GG422 m ago

How do the learners know people are annoyed?. Mind reading?. If im behind …How do the learners know people are annoyed?. Mind reading?. If im behind a learner going slug slow, I will be annoyed, but I wouldn't be ranting and raving out the window or blowing the horn, since doing that doesn't solve anything.Like i said, if they're doing 10mph in a 30mph then they clearly aren't up for driving on busy roads yet. And as i said also, most of them don't go anywhere near the speed limit. Or pull off from a clear roundabout. They aren't confident yet, so why slow down 100's of people in busy rush hours traffic because 1 person can't maintain a safe speed.If i was an instructor i'd be only letting them drive around residential areas first. But I understand others don't have common sense like myself.

No competent instructor would do this.

Unless a learner is completely oblivious to everything around them, if course they will be feeling pressured.

It's like you're imagining this is the same learner over and over holding you up. The reality is it's probably fifty different people having their first go.
J4GG425 m ago

How do the learners know people are annoyed?. Mind reading?. If im behind …How do the learners know people are annoyed?. Mind reading?. If im behind a learner going slug slow, I will be annoyed, but I wouldn't be ranting and raving out the window or blowing the horn, since doing that doesn't solve anything.Like i said, if they're doing 10mph in a 30mph then they clearly aren't up for driving on busy roads yet. And as i said also, most of them don't go anywhere near the speed limit. Or pull off from a clear roundabout. They aren't confident yet, so why slow down 100's of people in busy rush hours traffic because 1 person can't maintain a safe speed.If i was an instructor i'd be only letting them drive around residential areas first. But I understand others don't have common sense like myself.

Is it not obvious when there is a queue of 10 cars behind you that people will be annoyed?

I have seen a few learners that hesitate at roundabouts etc but it really doesn't bother me. I'm not sure how they will become confident in traffic without driving in traffic.

The odd leaner being hesitant isn't really going to be the difference from getting to work on time or not.
MSK.4 m ago

No competent instructor would do this.Unless a learner is completely …No competent instructor would do this.Unless a learner is completely oblivious to everything around them, if course they will be feeling pressured.It's like you're imagining this is the same learner over and over holding you up. The reality is it's probably fifty different people having their first go.

He makes it sound like there are 50 learners in the same area every rush hour.
The lucky ones are the ones who passed there test before 1997, your licence included, 16 seat mini bus, 7.5 ton lorry, 8.25 ton combined weight if towing trailer. And full moped licence which allowed carrying pillion passenger. The 7.5 ton one is good for many driving jobs, for example many of Argos and Currys home delivery vans are 7.5 ton.
J4GG42 h, 6 m ago

Why would they be full of confidence... they're learners! The clue is in the name

Just remember you were a learner once. How did you feel the first time you hit a busy stretch of road? Just give them a bit of time and space, don't get annoyed with them, it's probably about 2 minutes of your day.
POWYSWALES13 m ago

The lucky ones are the ones who passed there test before 1997, your …The lucky ones are the ones who passed there test before 1997, your licence included, 16 seat mini bus, 7.5 ton lorry, 8.25 ton combined weight if towing trailer. And full moped licence which allowed carrying pillion passenger. The 7.5 ton one is good for many driving jobs, for example many of Argos and Currys home delivery vans are 7.5 ton.

You still need to do 5 days in a classroom for your CPC
CoeK2 h, 3 m ago

He makes it sound like there are 50 learners in the same area every rush …He makes it sound like there are 50 learners in the same area every rush hour.

One is enough to hold up 50 others.
miikeyblue41 m ago

Why would they be full of confidence... they're learners! The clue is in …Why would they be full of confidence... they're learners! The clue is in the name Just remember you were a learner once. How did you feel the first time you hit a busy stretch of road? Just give them a bit of time and space, don't get annoyed with them, it's probably about 2 minutes of your day.

Already had years of driving experience before i hit 17, so i was lucky.

Even then my instructor kept me up in residential areas, which is good, I'd rather not been stuck in traffic wasting my hour away in the busy rush hour.

Not sure why a couple of people are struggling to understand my point in saying to keep newbies in the less busy residential areas until they are confident to head out on the main roads. I am not saying to never let them onto the busy roads. Im saying let them on the busy roads once they've gathered up experience and confidence, this includes confidence driving at or near the speed limit. Some drivers may even be perfectly confident going onto the busy roads from the get go. Its up to the instructor to decide.

How many new drivers (more so female in my experience) do you know that are too scared to venture onto the motorway after passing their test?, surprising quite a lot. In my opinion if they aren't confident heading onto the motorway then they need more lessons, and perhaps the extended lessons which include the motorway. No you don't sling them on the motorway on their first few lessons, you gather their confidence up slowly.

Its common sense and the same principle applies in so many aspects of life. Such as job roles, you don't become a plumber before you've done made the tea. Would you be happy for a trainee electrician who's been in the business 2 days to wire your entire house up?. Got to get them to start somewhere huh?.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 6th Nov 2017
J4GG411 m ago

50 others who were all learners once. If your journeys are that important, leave 2 minutes early to allow for the potential hold up.

I'd personally prefer they use busier roads than residential streets - do you really want them in areas where kids may be playing? Residential areas are too crowded for them to get a good feel of the car and learn to control it properly, too many stop-starts with people coming and going. They need to be out in flowing traffic.
miikeyblue2 m ago

50 others who were all learners once. If your journeys are that important, …50 others who were all learners once. If your journeys are that important, leave 2 minutes early to allow for the potential hold up. I'd personally prefer they use busier roads than residential streets - do you really want them in areas where kids may be playing? Residential areas are too crowded for them to get a good feel of the car and learn to control it properly, too many stop-starts with people coming and going. They need to be out in flowing traffic.

Its perfect and in fact they're swarming the residential areas here. But some dummy instructors let very nervous new drivers on the main roads.

Their's children and more obstacles on main roads for the drivers. Far more dangerous.
Sorry, but still gotta disagree. I wasn't straight out on to main roads when I started learning, but even so I was pretty nervous when I did hit the main roads, and probably made mistakes. I'm sure you did too. Starting, speeding up, slowing down, stopping. Those are the absolute basics, the things you learn at the beginning, and the best place to learn that are in real situations on the roads that you need to do it. The instructors have brake pedals too, they're not going to plough into the back of anyone, so the only issue is that they might be a bit slow. Big deal. We've all been there, we know how frustrating it can be if you stall, or pick the wrong gear. And when you do... your instructor tells you to stay calm - something we should carry with us even years after passing our tests.

Your plumber / sparky analogy is irrelevant - of course I wouldn't trust a lone guy on his first day in the job to wire up my house. If he was with someone qualified to train him though, watching his every move, then sure, why not?

Your only argument here is that they pull away a bit slow and make you late. Well, calm down and learn a bit of patience, or leave earlier.
J4GG41 h, 27 m ago

Already had years of driving experience before i hit 17, so i was …Already had years of driving experience before i hit 17, so i was lucky.Even then my instructor kept me up in residential areas, which is good, I'd rather not been stuck in traffic wasting my hour away in the busy rush hour.Not sure why a couple of people are struggling to understand my point in saying to keep newbies in the less busy residential areas until they are confident to head out on the main roads. I am not saying to never let them onto the busy roads. Im saying let them on the busy roads once they've gathered up experience and confidence, this includes confidence driving at or near the speed limit. Some drivers may even be perfectly confident going onto the busy roads from the get go. Its up to the instructor to decide.How many new drivers (more so female in my experience) do you know that are too scared to venture onto the motorway after passing their test?, surprising quite a lot. In my opinion if they aren't confident heading onto the motorway then they need more lessons, and perhaps the extended lessons which include the motorway. No you don't sling them on the motorway on their first few lessons, you gather their confidence up slowly.Its common sense and the same principle applies in so many aspects of life. Such as job roles, you don't become a plumber before you've done made the tea. Would you be happy for a trainee electrician who's been in the business 2 days to wire your entire house up?. Got to get them to start somewhere huh?.

I think you are missing everyone elses point. They may be perfectly confident drivers when on quiet roads but that can completely change when they are on a busy road where there is a lot more to think about.

BTW not everyone starts out making the tea.
J4GG41 h, 39 m ago

So what?
miikeyblue1 h, 29 m ago

Sorry, but still gotta disagree. I wasn't straight out on to main roads …Sorry, but still gotta disagree. I wasn't straight out on to main roads when I started learning, but even so I was pretty nervous when I did hit the main roads, and probably made mistakes. I'm sure you did too. Starting, speeding up, slowing down, stopping. Those are the absolute basics, the things you learn at the beginning, and the best place to learn that are in real situations on the roads that you need to do it. The instructors have brake pedals too, they're not going to plough into the back of anyone, so the only issue is that they might be a bit slow. Big deal. We've all been there, we know how frustrating it can be if you stall, or pick the wrong gear. And when you do... your instructor tells you to stay calm - something we should carry with us even years after passing our tests.Your plumber / sparky analogy is irrelevant - of course I wouldn't trust a lone guy on his first day in the job to wire up my house. If he was with someone qualified to train him though, watching his every move, then sure, why not?Your only argument here is that they pull away a bit slow and make you late. Well, calm down and learn a bit of patience, or leave earlier.

Who said I wasn't patient?, simply being aware or getting stuck behind a dangerous/nervous driver doesn't make one inpatient. You're putting words in my mouth and jumping to conclusions. I also didn't say all this was because it was making me late, again putting words in my mouth. If you read exactly what I wrote above, I said:

-They go half the speed limit (dangerous)
-They constantly stall it (dangerous) you can check youtube for 1000s of videos.
-They fail to pull away at junctions/roundabouts for a long period of time.

They wouldn't do any of the above if they were confident enough to hit the busy roads.

Not once did I say i was in a rush or it was making me late.
CoeK15 m ago

I think you are missing everyone elses point. They may be perfectly …I think you are missing everyone elses point. They may be perfectly confident drivers when on quiet roads but that can completely change when they are on a busy road where there is a lot more to think about.BTW not everyone starts out making the tea.

Thats up to the instructor to decide. If they fail epically on the busy roads then the instructor can do a few more lessons in quiet areas.

What point are you trying to make? throw new drivers who've never been behind a wheel directly in the busy areas then?.

CoeK14 m ago

So what?

??

So my point stands. New drivers thrown in the deep end too early cause trouble on the roads. Its not needed until they're confident.
J4GG45 m ago

Who said I wasn't patient?, simply being aware or getting stuck behind a …Who said I wasn't patient?, simply being aware or getting stuck behind a dangerous/nervous driver doesn't make one inpatient. You're putting words in my mouth and jumping to conclusions. I also didn't say all this was because it was making me late, again putting words in my mouth. If you read exactly what I wrote above, I said:-They go half the speed limit (dangerous)-They constantly stall it (dangerous) you can check youtube for 1000s of videos.-They fail to pull away at junctions/roundabouts for a long period of time.They wouldn't do any of the above if they were confident enough to hit the busy roads.Not once did I say i was in a rush or it was making me late.

Going half the speed limit is only dangerous if those behind (and around) them don't take into account there is a learner driver there and adjust their driving style accordingly.

Stalling is only dangerous if those behind (and around) them don't take into account there is a learner driver there and adjust their driving style accordingly.

Failing to pull away at junctions promptly... as above.

If I see a learner driver, my instinct is to give them a bit of space, not to hurry them, not to pressure them. They're not a danger to anyone driving appropriately.
Edited by: "miikeyblue" 6th Nov 2017
J4GG42 m ago

Thats up to the instructor to decide. If they fail epically on the busy …Thats up to the instructor to decide. If they fail epically on the busy roads then the instructor can do a few more lessons in quiet areas.What point are you trying to make? throw new drivers who've never been behind a wheel directly in the busy areas then?.??So my point stands. New drivers thrown in the deep end too early cause trouble on the roads. Its not needed until they're confident.

No I don't think throwing new drivers into busy streets is a good idea.. I'm not even sure where in my comments you could come up with that idea.

The only trouble you have mentioned is delays, so again so what?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants