Driving test soon. any tips?

Found 29th Oct 2008
Hi, having driving test soon. any tips or any important thing that I should know? I remember there was a discussion in here re: driving test, couldn't find it.

any in particular that I should know? really hope can pass as it is getting dark and cold. on motorbike atm.

28 Comments

30% of people fail.

Don't crash, or cause one ! LOL.

70% of people pass

Be confident. I'd say that they are looking to pass confident drivers, not nervous ones, so just back yourself that yo will pass, and you'll be halfway there!

Keep calm, take it at your pace, & don't let other road users fluster you.

http://www.hypnoprogress.com/images/thumbnails/Panic.png

im looking to take my test in next 2 months (before xmas)

main points really

practise makes perfect - keep practising the manouveres, stoppping & starting, clutch control
reading the highway code often

gets lots of sleep night before test, wake up with a coffee and tell yourself you will pass

read any notes, highway code etc before your test

best thing though is to just tell yourself your gonna pass cos ya amazing driver, show your enthusiasm to the instructor and they will be less lenient on you

go at least 5mph under legal road limit

Pizza hut Buffet got me though.... i was to stuffed with Pizza and high from all the suger in the Pepsi was not to consenered about test

faevilangel;3319277

best thing though is to just tell yourself your gonna pass cos ya amazing … best thing though is to just tell yourself your gonna pass cos ya amazing driver, show your enthusiasm to the instructor and they will be less lenient on you

Do you mean " Examiner "? and " more lenient "?;-)

mum2b;3319281

...and fail for not making normal progress.:roll:

Drive at an appropriate speed for the road conditions/speed limits.

Inactive;3319321

Do you mean " Examiner "? and " more lenient "?;-)

ya .........

Inactive;3319337

...and fail for not making normal progress.:roll:Drive at an appropriate … ...and fail for not making normal progress.:roll:Drive at an appropriate speed for the road conditions/speed limits.

my instructor hates it where im more than 5mph less than the speed limit :roll:

but you should drive at the speed you think is appropriate for the road conditions, dry road = speed limit
wet road = slightly less

if you think your driving to slow, your not!

Good luck with the impending test...just try and relax (and breath as my instructor would always tell me lol) You can only do your best and it's no biggie if you don't pass, you just grin and bare it and try again.

First time passer here giving some advice.

Don't panic, worry or anything like that. Treat it like another driving lesson. If you make a mistake or think you have failed when you havn't, forget about it and keep driving. Strike a convo up with the examiner before hand and be friendly. Whatever you do don't wear any football shirt or anything favouring a team of some sort, the examiner may be a rival fan and it just gives them an excuse to treat you differently.

Remember that red means stop and you'll be fine :thumbsup:

Seriously though, as others have said, don't get worked up over it, just treat it as a normal lesson, stick to the speed limits and over exaggerate checking your mirrors etc, just so the instructor can see you doing it, then you should be fine. Good luck

Original Poster

i read somewhere that if you make a mistake don't ask if you can do it again, just do it straight away. is that true?

Elves;3320056

i read somewhere that if you make a mistake don't ask if you can do it … i read somewhere that if you make a mistake don't ask if you can do it again, just do it straight away. is that true?

true, my instructor told me that

if you make a mistake

e.g. too far from kerb when parallel parking, you are allowed to manouvere car forward and back to get it right, there is no set time limit etc for anything, your allowed to pull forward to re- establish your "footing" and try it again,

as long as you don't hit the kerbs and hit cars etc you will be fine

Take some kalms, u won't realise how nervous u are untill ur sitting in the car!

Remember ur left from ur right

U can't fail for not getting the questions at the beginning wrong

If u fail it's not the end of the world!

xx

I think the main advice is really relax and don't panic, if you're being put forward for your test then you already have the ability for it. If you make a mistake then just make sure you react calmly and carefully as you'll just get a minor in most cases.

It's a while since I past my driving test (11 years now) but I'm hoping to sit my motorbike test with the next month, it's been quite odd going back to being a 'learner' again!

John

mum2b;3319281

And you will fail, serious.

black gerbil1;3319091

30% of people fail.

Jonsend;3319135

70% of people pass

Actually, the official average pass rate is 40% :thumbsup:

Ask all these questions to your instructor...

edit; yeah you can correct yourself, but as far as i know you receive a minor for each time you correct yourself

Why do people on here seem to think that a Driving Test is conducted by an " instructor "?

Surely they are the people that teach you.

An Examiner conducts a Driving Test.;-)

Inactive;3323536

Why do people on here seem to think that a Driving Test is conducted by … Why do people on here seem to think that a Driving Test is conducted by an " instructor "?Surely they are the people that teach you.An Examiner conducts a Driving Test.;-)

ooh get you

good luck, hope you know the area your driving quite well, i didn't and as stupid as it sounds went up a no entry street! neadless to say i failed that time. If you do fail, don't give up get the next avaliable test and go for it - often it takes 2 attempts.
If you are going round a roundabout make sure you're indicating correctly and be sure if your indicator clicks off rectify it, this happened to be, i indicated correctly to begin with but whilst going round the round about i was not indicating and other drivers are not aware of where your heading.
Fingers crossed

Original Poster

thanks for all the advices. fingers crossed
Post a comment
@
    Text