Driving Test Tomorrow - Never been so nervous about anything in my life!

Posted 9th May 2011
Hi all!

Got my driving test at 9 in the morning... I was confident up until today, now i'm doubting my confidence! Never been so worried about anything ever before... and with it costing me £130 including using my instructors car, and have 1hr 30min before with my instructor, I really need to pass, can't spend that out again!

I'm going to get some college work done tonight, but not too much, don't want to stress, and get an early night, about 9ish... then up in plenty of time to have a good breakfast and wake up.

Any words of advice or anything to put my mind at rest?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Matt
Community Updates
Misc
72 Comments
No news yet from op i see.................is it a case of the old saying ' no news is good news ' i wonder !
Elton Chong

Image is everything, dress conservatively and be confident. You can do … Image is everything, dress conservatively and be confident. You can do it, wish you all the best and hope to hear the good news tommorow.Some advice specifically for men i recommend a side parting with a cardigan, shirt and old fashioned tie, old brogues and grow a tache about a week before the test. It is essential the driving instructor thinks he is better than you, that his life is better than your life. If he feels you are some flamboyant lady magnet it's game over. Talk about your hobbys such as archeology and fishing . This worked for me and my mate and accounted for about 60% of our success.For Filth n furry this will come naturally, no special prep required. A copy of the guardian under your arm may be overkill but play it by ear.

Heyup Chong, there's nothing wrong with a bit of fishing.!
Edited by: "kyleg44" 10th May 2011
magicjay1986

I will never forget my driving test. My first hill start and I rolled … I will never forget my driving test. My first hill start and I rolled back by about 1 metre. My left leg would not stop violently shaking through nerves. Still managed to pass first time but I was so nervous even though I am a pretty confident driver.

HAHAHA OMG, I had the exact same problem!! But still passed
lol its more luck than driving skill.

Anyway best of luck hope you pass.
No news is unfortunately bad news in this case!

I made one silly mistake that cost me the pass... and I only had a couple of minors too. Absolutely gutted. Thought i'd passed too to be honest, wasn't as bad as i thought it would be really, but yep, made a silly mistake!

Was instructed to turn right at the roundabout. Two lanes on approach, expanding to three on the roundabout. Nobody in the lane to the left of me. I pulled away onto the roundabout, and somehow moved into the middle lane, but too early, if there had been someone in the lane next to me on the approach, I would have cut them up...

I should have continued forward, and filtered out by the lane markings into the middle lane of the three on the roundabout before signalling out, and turning off the roundabout...

I'd had problems there before IIRC, with forgetting to filter into the middle lane before turning off, and my instructor said I was probably subconsciously was thinking about keeping left, and just pulled into the left lane as I pulled away... alas, if there had been anyone there I would have cut them up.

I didn't check my mirrors because I didn't realise I was changing lane somehow... oh, god knows how I did it - still confusing me now - not sure why I did it, or how?! I didn't even realise I had done it, I just thought I was in the right lane of the three, which I was, just cut into it too early?!

Apart from that, my test was pretty damn good... completely gutted.

Hopefully next time I can pass
its only 40 minutes of driving a stranger around, enjoy it!
Unlucky mate, dont be put off.

Keeping checking for cancelled tests. The sooner the better as you are still fresh and also if you leave it over time increased costs. Also work on your mistake with your teacher.

Best of luck for next time, I know it sounds cheesy but its not the end of the world.

It could be worse, my mate at college when he finished his test, was so nervous, he forgot to put the handbrake up and his car went rolling back into the fence lol. He failed lol.

Still makes my laugh. But anyway he passed on his third time.
I did all my learner driving round all possible test routes, which helps...

I was like Michael Flattely doing the Riverdance when I was on a hill moving slowly, but still managed first time.

Have a drive around the routes if your instructor knows them.
Baines93

No news is unfortunately bad news in this case!I made one silly mistake … No news is unfortunately bad news in this case!I made one silly mistake that cost me the pass... and I only had a couple of minors too. Absolutely gutted. Thought i'd passed too to be honest, wasn't as bad as i thought it would be really, but yep, made a silly mistake!Was instructed to turn right at the roundabout. Two lanes on approach, expanding to three on the roundabout. Nobody in the lane to the left of me. I pulled away onto the roundabout, and somehow moved into the middle lane, but too early, if there had been someone in the lane next to me on the approach, I would have cut them up...I should have continued forward, and filtered out by the lane markings into the middle lane of the three on the roundabout before signalling out, and turning off the roundabout...I'd had problems there before IIRC, with forgetting to filter into the middle lane before turning off, and my instructor said I was probably subconsciously was thinking about keeping left, and just pulled into the left lane as I pulled away... alas, if there had been anyone there I would have cut them up.I didn't check my mirrors because I didn't realise I was changing lane somehow... oh, god knows how I did it - still confusing me now - not sure why I did it, or how?! I didn't even realise I had done it, I just thought I was in the right lane of the three, which I was, just cut into it too early?! :(Apart from that, my test was pretty damn good... completely gutted.Hopefully next time I can pass

cant see how you failed tbh

you wouldnt have cut anyone up as left hand lane is for people on your left hand side. You went out and moved straight to the middle lane which is fine (then should have gone to far right lane)
unlucky mate, hopefully next time.
Sounds like he crossed lanes which is a major. I remember getting confused by the dotted lines on roundabouts when I was learning. Still passed first time though, despite repeatedly turning left after being told to turn right or vice versa!
Least you should be more relaxed for the second time round.
i passed mine in March first attempt i got 1 major and 2 minor second time 4 minor

just get rebooked in again as soon as you can take your time and you'll be fine - its easier second time as you know what to expect - keep check the website for cancellations i got my second a time two weeks after failing my first
@ kyleg Just wanna say fishing looks like a stack of fun. I wasn't knocking it. I'm hoping to try it out soon
same fail as me OP, cutting up on a roundabout is classed as a major. As others have said, retake asap..
you need to do some more practice on the large roundabouts by the sound of it.....

mention it to your intstructor and practice around the area you had the test.

flyingflea

Sounds like he crossed lanes which is a major. I remember getting … Sounds like he crossed lanes which is a major. I remember getting confused by the dotted lines on roundabouts when I was learning. Still passed first time though, despite repeatedly turning left after being told to turn right or vice versa!

you have to cross lanes on a roundabout! Unless you plan on never entering it or staying on it for the rest of your life lol
Edited by: "csiman" 11th May 2011
dont worry op, on my first test i got done for speeding and also 2 wheeling my car as i went over a ramp into the test centre.....the look on mine and all of the instructors (waiting for their students to come back ) faces still cracks me up to this day

just use it as a bit of experience, next time ull know what is expected of you and youll probably pass

when u do pass itl feel even better than it did for the knobs (numptyj) who passed first time as u know how it feels to fail.

good luck next time!
csiman

you have to cross lanes on a roundabout! Unless you plan on never … you have to cross lanes on a roundabout! Unless you plan on never entering it or staying on it for the rest of your life lol

I mean crossed lanes whilst on the roundabout. When you join the roundabout you may cross a line but you shouldn't need to come out of your lane, even when you leave the roundabout.

Though if there are no other cars about, I take the racing line and ignore all the lines Can be good fun driving round the Swindon roundabouts!
flyingflea

I mean crossed lanes whilst on the roundabout. When you join the … I mean crossed lanes whilst on the roundabout. When you join the roundabout you may cross a line but you shouldn't need to come out of your lane, even when you leave the roundabout.Though if there are no other cars about, I take the racing line and ignore all the lines Can be good fun driving round the Swindon roundabouts!

if you approach a roundabout intending to take the 270 degree exit, then you approach in the right hand lane and have to go across 3 lanes to get to the inner roundabout lane. You then have to cross all 3 lanes to get off at your exit.

I'm guessing OP took an exit but didnt maintain the outside lane of their exit.
csiman

if you approach a roundabout intending to take the 270 degree exit, then … if you approach a roundabout intending to take the 270 degree exit, then you approach in the right hand lane and have to go across 3 lanes to get to the inner roundabout lane. You then have to cross all 3 lanes to get off at your exit.I'm guessing OP took an exit but didnt maintain the outside lane of their exit.

Not as far as I can see..

[image missing]

Just to let anyone interested know, I passed today! Second time lucky hehe!

4 minors!
Baines93

Just to let anyone interested know, I passed today! Second time lucky … Just to let anyone interested know, I passed today! Second time lucky hehe! :)4 minors!

well done ! that was the easy part, now you've got to find cheap car insurance !
Baines93

Just to let anyone interested know, I passed today! Second time lucky … Just to let anyone interested know, I passed today! Second time lucky hehe! :)4 minors!

Well done! I also passed the second time with 4 Minors.

Good luck with insurance though, I to date have yet to receive a quote under 6k...
I've got a modified 1.3 1985 Mini, and got a quote, with all modifications declared (last year albeit) for £700 TPFT on classic car insurance

Just not ready to drive yet, as i'm half way through putting a new 1.4 race spec engine in haha

What car do you have shadow?
Baines93

I've got a modified 1.3 1985 Mini, and got a quote, with all … I've got a modified 1.3 1985 Mini, and got a quote, with all modifications declared (last year albeit) for £700 TPFT on classic car insurance :)Just not ready to drive yet, as i'm half way through putting a new 1.4 race spec engine in haha

facepalm.
Why?

A) It's modified tastefully.
B) I know insurance has gone up since last year considerably.
C) I know the race spec engine will boost the insurance cost too.
D) I can afford it, and already expect it to be about £1500 based on quotes friends in the owners club have had.

Does that cover it? if not...

E) maybe you just meant facepalm that it's in the middle of extensive work just as I have passed my driving test, in which case, yes fair point... not really worthy of a facepalm though.
Edited by: "Baines93" 16th Jul 2011
Baines93

Why?A) It's modified tastefully.B) I know insurance has gone up since … Why?A) It's modified tastefully.B) I know insurance has gone up since last year considerably.C) I know the race spec engine will boost the insurance cost too.D) I can afford it, and already expect it to be about £1500 based on quotes friends in the owners club have had.Does that cover it? if not...E) maybe you just meant facepalm that it's in the middle of extensive work just as I have passed my driving test, in which case, yes fair point... not really worthy of a facepalm though.

[image missing]

Baines93

Why?A) It's modified tastefully.B) I know insurance has gone up since … Why?A) It's modified tastefully.B) I know insurance has gone up since last year considerably.C) I know the race spec engine will boost the insurance cost too.D) I can afford it, and already expect it to be about £1500 based on quotes friends in the owners club have had.Does that cover it? if not...E) maybe you just meant facepalm that it's in the middle of extensive work just as I have passed my driving test, in which case, yes fair point... not really worthy of a facepalm though.

Chances are though that you will bump it a couple of times when you first start driving. Best to get used to driving in an old banger you don't care about first.
hello i was reading some of your advices and unfortunately for me i just failed my test my left leg shook so bad i couldn't touch the clutch the whole car was shaking even after i stop to take a big breather! anyone got any advices.
thank you.
I personally believe that if you fail 4 times you should have to take a designated number of lessons or wait a year before trying again. It's stupid that you can keep going till you pass and then as soon as yoU do you are free to hit the road with no limitations. Is it any wonder you see so many near accidents or bad driving when out and about.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants