Found 9th May
Hi

Has anyone recently given a driving test using own car? My wife is looking to give her test in her own car. She has a Nissan Micra Insignia - Automatic.

I did read through the post in the Gov.uk on using own car for the test - https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/using-your-own-car

Any advices?

Thanks

17 Comments

I think if she passes, she will be allowed to drive automatic only. (Off the top of my head)

Original Poster

AD959

I think if she passes, she will be allowed to drive automatic only. (Off … I think if she passes, she will be allowed to drive automatic only. (Off the top of my head)

Yes. She wants to drive automatic only anyways. She is driving the car now with her international license. So she has full comprehensive cover (insurance).
Is there any other insurance that needs to be taken?
Apart from fitting an instructors mirror I don't see anything more to be fitted? Extra pedals for examiner?

I took my test in my own car (ford grand cmax) in Oct 16. never had a problem. just made sure i was insurance, car had no problems but also i had to provide an additional rear view mirror which wasnt alot.

Original Poster

mummy_lou247

I took my test in my own car (ford grand cmax) in Oct 16. never had a … I took my test in my own car (ford grand cmax) in Oct 16. never had a problem. just made sure i was insurance, car had no problems but also i had to provide an additional rear view mirror which wasnt alot.

Thanks. Yes I had to buy that too. Do we need to bring in mot certificate or insurance documents to prove at the test center ?

Yes you need to bring insurance and mot documents at test centre as they will ask before test start

is it EU her existing driving license? if so she can just swap it in dvla.

Original Poster

dyczko

is it EU her existing driving license? if so she can just swap it in dvla.

Unfortunately no..

Original Poster

poundmaker

Yes you need to bring insurance and mot documents at test centre as they … Yes you need to bring insurance and mot documents at test centre as they will ask before test start

Thanks. In previous mot the car passed with few adversaries and we fixed the adversaries. Should I take those too?

vassy4u

Thanks. In previous mot the car passed with few adversaries and we fixed … Thanks. In previous mot the car passed with few adversaries and we fixed the adversaries. Should I take those too?

​ Take everything. If you got it and don't need it-hurrah! If you not got it and need it...well, you do the math.

didn't know you could do this. so no dual controls..

Hi, my wife passed her test in own car, they didn't ask for insurance or mot, just ask you to sign the declaration before test which states that car is insured. Also tue examiner will look around the car before getting in to see if its in ok condition for the test for example no loose bumpers etc. And then only thing u need is the rear view mirror for the examiner. She passed on second attempt and as i was with her, i can confirm that both of the times they didn't ask for anything.

Original Poster

sali6454

Hi, my wife passed her test in own car, they didn't ask for insurance or … Hi, my wife passed her test in own car, they didn't ask for insurance or mot, just ask you to sign the declaration before test which states that car is insured. Also tue examiner will look around the car before getting in to see if its in ok condition for the test for example no loose bumpers etc. And then only thing u need is the rear view mirror for the examiner. She passed on second attempt and as i was with her, i can confirm that both of the times they didn't ask for anything.

Thank you very much. Appreciate your time and reply.. cheers

Just make sure non of the dashboard lights are on as they wont allow her to do test if they are on.

AD959

I think if she passes, she will be allowed to drive automatic only. (Off … I think if she passes, she will be allowed to drive automatic only. (Off the top of my head)

You're right that she'll only be licensed to drive an automatic car, but I don't believe she'd be restricted to only driving an automatic off the top of your head.

They Will only ask her to do declaration form but take insurance certificate anyway
It's OFF Topic Again but I do believe once you get your UK provisional license you are not allowed to use any other licence like international as they are not licences they are permits allowed only under geneva convention so imo you would need l plates along with extra mirror

Original Poster

iibdii

They Will only ask her to do declaration form but take insurance … They Will only ask her to do declaration form but take insurance certificate anywayIt's OFF Topic Again but I do believe once you get your UK provisional license you are not allowed to use any other licence like international as they are not licences they are permits allowed only under geneva convention so imo you would need l plates along with extra mirror

Thanks pal. L plates were in the list to be bought.

vassy4u

Thank you very much. Appreciate your time and reply.. cheers

No worries mate :-)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Appliance direct code or voucher22
    2. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...77
    3. Whey protien513
    4. Gas Cooker Hose Required22

See more discussions