Driving theory test is now harder

Found 24th Jan 2012
Driving theory test has just got harder within the last few days. Now you need to think for yourself to pass rather than learn parrot style.

I got the answers wrong to most of the following questions. How many can you get right (without cheating)?

Question A. You are driving over a level crossing. The warning lights come on and a bell rings. What should you do?

1 - Get everyone out of the vehicle immediately
2- Stop and reverse back to clear the crossing
3- Keep going and clear the crossing
4- Stop immediately and use your hazard warning lights

B. You should never attempt to overtake a cyclist...

1- Just before you turn left
2- On a left hand bend
3- On a one-way street
4- On a dual carriageway

C. Where can you find reflective amber studs on a motorway?

1- Separating the slip road from the motorway
2- On the left-hand edge of the road
3- On the right-hand edge of the road
4- Separating the lanes

D. A person has been injured. They may be suffering from shock. What are the warning signs to look for?

1- Flushed complexion
2- Warm dry skin
3- Slow pulse
4- Pale grey skin

E. Braking distances on ice can be...

1- Twice the normal distance
2- Five times the normal distance
3- Seven times the normal distance
4- Ten times the normal distance
Community Updates
MiscDriving Test
53 Comments
that was easy, although I don't know the answers

A-3
B-1
C-1
D-4
E-2
]A3 B1 C2 D4 E1

Edited by: "MDC" 24th Jan 2012

haha probs all wrong, but passed anyways,8)

--

I got 50/50 6 months ago on the real thing...but trying to remember the answers now is harder I did it parrot style before
Edited by: "Firefly1" 24th Jan 2012
I had the first and last question on my theory test which I took 11 years ago, this is not harder it is the same
where are the answers?!

I had the first and last question on my theory test which I took 11 years … I had the first and last question on my theory test which I took 11 years ago, this is not harder it is the same.

Up until the last few days, the questions were actually released by the DVLA i.e. you could practice every single question and remember which answer it is - because the wording of the question will be identical to the 'practice' question and I can vouch this does make the theory a lot easier.

Now they are not going to release the actual questions themselves anymore.

Original Poster
Firefly1

I got 50/50 6 months ago on the real thing...but trying to remember the … I got 50/50 6 months ago on the real thing...but trying to remember the answers now is harder I did it parrot style before

well, you definately won't pass now as they have made the tests impossible to pass parrot style.

here's my thinking on my answers

A. i would do a number 1 if i heard the bell ring whilst driving over the level crossing, what would a panicked person do in this situation?

B. i would overtake a cyclist with care and always on a straight

C & D. I don't really care what colour the studs are on a motorway, just as long as i am in the right lane for where i want to go.

I don't really care what a person looks like when they are in shock. I would just call 999 and let them determine whether the person is in shock or not.

E. i drive very slowly on ice and as far away from the vehicle in front as i can so it does not matter how long the breaking distance is as i ain't never gone be within it.

If i answered as thus, i think is very logical but would fail miserably. oO
You would stop the car on a level crossing and get people out of the car when the amber light is on oO

Where's the not sure if srs jpg...
Original Poster
sancho1983

You would stop the car on a level crossing and get people out of the car … You would stop the car on a level crossing and get people out of the car when the amber light is on oOWhere's the not sure if srs jpg...

no. i would stop and reverse.
Firefly1

Up until the last few days, the questions were actually released by the … Up until the last few days, the questions were actually released by the DVLA i.e. you could practice every single question and remember which answer it is - because the wording of the question will be identical to the 'practice' question and I can vouch this does make the theory a lot easier.Now they are not going to release the actual questions themselves anymore.

There were thousands of questions, if you can remember every single one then you perhaps deserve to pass

I would then take the common sense approach

Leaving vehicle = prison. (Dangerous use of a vehicle...causing injury to others potentially)
Reversing = car behind? --> Blocked --> death
Stopping vehicle = death
That leaves driving over the crossing

Most can be worked out by common sense these days....I do hate the stud lights though....that came up in the test and somehow chose the right one

There were thousands of questions, if you can remember every single one … There were thousands of questions, if you can remember every single one then you perhaps deserve to pass

The AA theory test app is what I used. The same 150 - 200 questions kept coming up (I revised only on day itself as I forgot it was that day...) - and literally those questions just came back up. You could also view what you got wrong on the app instantly, so you immediately learnt that the answer was X as opposed to Y. Depends if you view that as 'fair' ... I guess it did 'educate' you.

EDIT: There was actually 1 question that I hadn't seen before. "Why are car mirrors concave (or is it convex?) ?"
Had to think about that for a couple of minutes, apart from that, it really was memory recall, so I can see why they made this change.
mutley1

What if there was a car behind you?
Original Poster
Firefly1

Reversing = car behind? --> Blocked --> death

obvioulsy i would look behind first!

i think i would be so panicked, i would not have time to react and so would carry on because i can't think of what to do. but i would think i should stop and reverse as the automatic reaction is to retreat when you are faced with danger.
Who gives a F, I passed 15 years ago... Trollololol
mutley1

obvioulsy i would look behind first!i think i would be so panicked, i … obvioulsy i would look behind first!i think i would be so panicked, i would not have time to react and so would carry on because i can't think of what to do. but i would think i should stop and reverse as the automatic reaction is to retreat when you are faced with danger.

Most drivers I meet on the road seem to think increasing their speed is a good idea when faced with danger
Original Poster
Chiptivo

Who gives a F, I passed 15 years ago... Trollololol

i passed my test before cars were invented.
mutley1

obvioulsy i would look behind first!i think i would be so panicked, i … obvioulsy i would look behind first!i think i would be so panicked, i would not have time to react and so would carry on because i can't think of what to do. but i would think i should stop and reverse as the automatic reaction is to retreat when you are faced with danger.

Ok, I'm really not sure whether you are joking or not. Have you never had the amber light/alarm come on?
Original Poster
Firefly1

Most drivers I meet on the road seem to think increasing their speed is a … Most drivers I meet on the road seem to think increasing their speed is a good idea when faced with danger

i think you're right, which is why we have so many road deaths.
Are these the questions you recently had on your theory?
Original Poster
sancho1983

Ok, I'm really not sure whether you are joking or not. Have you never had … Ok, I'm really not sure whether you are joking or not. Have you never had the amber light/alarm come on?

never an alarm. or amber.
You have a clear road in front of you. There is a car or a line of cars behind you.
1. Do you speed up so your not being a selfish bar stud?
2. Pull over and let the capable drivers through so your not being a selfish Bar stud?
3. Be a selfish Bar stud and run the risk of someone following you home with serious intent?

Theres a rear view mirror for a reason. If you want to go slow thats fine but get the fuh out the way.

You know who you are.

lol

Boxer

You have a clear road in front of you. There is a car or a line of cars … You have a clear road in front of you. There is a car or a line of cars behind you.1. Do you speed up so your not being a selfish bar stud?2. Pull over and let the capable drivers through so your not being a selfish Bar stud?3. Be a selfish Bar stud and run the risk of someone following you home with serious intent?Theres a rear view mirror for a reason. If you want to go slow thats fine but get the fuh out the way.You know who you are.

mutley1

never an alarm. or amber.

When the crossing alarm starts you have about 3 seconds of yellow lights about 6 seconds red lights then the barriers take about 6-8 seconds to lower, when lowered the train should take no quicker than about 10 seconds.

Your first thought should be to get off the crossing and the fastest way would be the direction your travelling in.

Doesn't matter how hard or easy the theory is.

They need to make the driving part a lot harder looking at a lot of a-holes on the road.
Original Poster
Boxer

Theres a rear view mirror for a reason. If you want to go slow thats fine … Theres a rear view mirror for a reason. If you want to go slow thats fine but get the fuh out the way.You know who you are.

i rarely use the rear mirror as my logic is, if anyone hits me in the back it's their fault. i am concentraing on the front. hell to those at the back, they can do what they want.
Hey mutley1, Are these the questions you recently had on your theory?
Original Poster
TheDealio123

Hey mutley1, Are these the questions you recently had on your theory?

no. when i did my test, my questions were something like

what do you do when a deer runs across the front of your car and you hit it?
should you wait in a yellow box at a cross junction?
what should you do if your luggage falls off the roof rack on a motorway?
a3
b1
c4
d2
e4

Easy, although I have no idea about D. That's the job of the emergency services.
Do they still have the error in the test about the dashboard symbol for handbrake on? On every car I've ever driven, it's an (!) in a circle. But according to the theory test that doesn't mean handbrake on, it means there's a fault in the braking system.
Original Poster
Benjimoron

Do they still have the error in the test about the dashboard symbol for … Do they still have the error in the test about the dashboard symbol for handbrake on? On every car I've ever driven, it's an (!) in a circle. But according to the theory test that doesn't mean handbrake on, it means there's a fault in the braking system.

i never pay attention to the dashboard. i only worry about the speedometer for tickets and when the car won't start.
anyone who has ever driven over a crossing should know that the bars come down or the lights go on long before the train comes so you should have plenty of time to cross. I wouldnt want to do a theory test nowdays luckly i passed before even hazard awareness came in
Original Poster
jensangel

anyone who has ever driven over a crossing should know that the bars come … anyone who has ever driven over a crossing should know that the bars come down or the lights go on long before the train comes so you should have plenty of time to cross.

obviously not otherwise they would not have set it as a question, as there would be no point.

No offence but i would rather not have you on the road if you would panic.
Glad they are getting 'harder'. Too many bad drivers around.

mutley1

Benjimoron

Do they still have the error in the test about the dashboard symbol for … Do they still have the error in the test about the dashboard symbol for handbrake on? On every car I've ever driven, it's an (!) in a circle. But according to the theory test that doesn't mean handbrake on, it means there's a fault in the braking system.

It has both functions. If you are parked and your handbrake is on, it is telling you that your handbrake is on. If it appears whilst driving, you either haven't released the handbrake fully or you potentially have a fault in your braking system.
mutley1

obviously not otherwise they would not have set it as a question, as … obviously not otherwise they would not have set it as a question, as there would be no point.

It is pretty obvious.
Original Poster
teh arn

No offence but i would rather not have you on the road if you would … No offence but i would rather not have you on the road if you would panic.Glad they are getting 'harder'. Too many bad drivers around.

i think i am not a bad driver but i do end up in scrapes because i can't think fast enough.

however, i think lots of people panic when they hear an alarm. i don't think it is a good idea to use sound to frighten people.
Original Poster
pghstochaj

It is pretty obvious.

not to me, it isn't. i can't be the only one surely?
mutley1

i think i am not a bad driver but i do end up in scrapes because i can't … i think i am not a bad driver but i do end up in scrapes because i can't think fast enough.however, i think lots of people panic when they hear an alarm. i don't think it is a good idea to use sound to frighten people.

It isn't there to frighten people, it is a warning. What else would you suggest is used?

How else would you alert someone of something going wrong or danger?

mutley1

i think i am not a bad driver but i do end up in scrapes because i can't … i think i am not a bad driver but i do end up in scrapes because i can't think fast enough.however, i think lots of people panic when they hear an alarm. i don't think it is a good idea to use sound to frighten people.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions