Drone distance regulations

Found 21st Nov 2017
I need an honest opinion guys. My dad is a farmer and I was thinking of getting him a drone to check on the livestock as it would save him walking as he has bad legs now. The problem is I've no idea about the distance regulation. Would the Xiaomi mi 4k drone, dji phantom 3, advanced or pro go furthest or are they all limited to the distance now by updates or what? It's on his own land and it's just to check his fields so distance is important

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

I can't help you I'm afraid, but I've found an old thread Here, Perhaps some members on there could help you further. @TANDY@dcx_badass@chuckiedoll
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 21st Nov 2017

Legal limit is 500m from the pilot horizontally and ~120m vertically, that's not to say you can't go further with some, but it's not necessarily allowed. How far does he need?

Also technically this may be commercial work but I'd imagine they'd have a hard time trying to prove it, also as long as it's not using footage etc for commercial use then he could be hobby flying to explore his land so I wouldn't really worry about that as an issue.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 21st Nov 2017

Thanks for being so quick replying to op, must be nowt on TV tonight.

Original Poster

dcx_badass12 m ago

Legal limit is 500m from the pilot horizontally and ~120m vertically, …Legal limit is 500m from the pilot horizontally and ~120m vertically, that's not to say you can't go further with some, but it's not necessarily allowed. How far does he need?Also technically this may be commercial work but I'd imagine they'd have a hard time trying to prove it, also as long as it's not using footage etc for commercial use then he could be hobby flying to explore his land so I wouldn't really worry about that as an issue.

I wasn't sure if it was something built in to the software that regulated them through gps or something that would stop them going past a certain distance. He doesn't really need a great deal of height. Mostly just distance. Think he would need a 1.5-2 miles max I think. I just don't want to spend a load of money and it can't go past the first field lol. Would all that I mentioned go far enough? What would you recommend? I seen the phantom 3 standard on Amazon warehouse reduced quite a bit and the Xiaomi mi 4k is being reduced often

DominicMcAlister6 m ago

I wasn't sure if it was something built in to the software that regulated …I wasn't sure if it was something built in to the software that regulated them through gps or something that would stop them going past a certain distance. He doesn't really need a great deal of height. Mostly just distance. Think he would need a 1.5-2 miles max I think. I just don't want to spend a load of money and it can't go past the first field lol. Would all that I mentioned go far enough? What would you recommend? I seen the phantom 3 standard on Amazon warehouse reduced quite a bit and the Xiaomi mi 4k is being reduced often

DJI sometimes GPS lock devices, I'm not sure if they have done the distance. Xiaomi probably don't, that's a pretty far range though so best to check reviews.

Iirc one of the requirements for personal use is line of sight which would rule out what your after.
Standard fpv has a limited range coupled with the range your talking anything off the shelf will be expensive as hell.

Just buy him a quad bike, like most farmers use!

Dji standard has a range of about 600 meters. I would not recommend it for distance flying. You need to get at least a phantom 3 advanced which should do fine at the distances you need so long as the signal isn't too obstructed. They work on GPS for position and even if you loose the signal the will come back to the taking off point. They also monitor the battery and will tell you when you have to start coming back in time to make it with what juice you have left. On another note like someone mentioned, flying outside of your line of sight is illegal.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants