Drones and FAA regulations...

Found 5th Jun
So I've been trying to find a drone to take on my travels (hiking in particular). I've been looking at the Dobby, Spark and Tello. I'd kind of discounted the Spark because of the price, but have found an option locally for the Fly More for £305.

However, unlike the Dobby and Tello, the Spark weighs more than 250g - which seems to be the weight cut off for having to register drones with the authorities.

Do I need to pay too much attention to that? Do the authorities do much or even care?
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
@ricko remember you knowing a lot about drones. Can you help op out on this one please
We're not in the USA where you have to register so not sure why that would bother you. There's talk of us doing it but not until the of next year at the earliest anyway. I don't think it'll be much of an issue anyway, hopefully be free because I'm not paying to do it.

250g really isn't much, my batteries weigh almost that, anything less is probably mainly aimed at indoor or very casual use.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 5th Jun
As with most of these things, the weight or registration wont be a problem unless you cause a problem.

The registration issue will almost certainly come in next year - the Government will (probably) require all drones over 250g to be registered. This is to find\fine people if they cause a problem.

Of course, you won't have to do this, much like you don't need to have a driving licence to drive a car, you can do it if you want, it's just illegal. However, if your drone crashes\goes somewhere it shouldn't\hits someone on the head, you would be at risk of prosecution.

If you don't want to register, the Dobby weighs about 240g (with battery), so will be exempt. They are quite good, but the battery life is super-short (about 10 mins in good conditions), and the pictures are nowhere near as good as 'proper' drones, however, they are OK. They are more for fun than anything though.
I have one and they are fun. Don't use them indoors though - the stabilizers are rubbish and they will crash.
If your going to buy a drone ,you want something with GPS and a decent flight time . Without GPS the drone wont hover ,so your fighting with sticks constantly to keep it in the air . GPS allows you to let go of the sticks if you get into difficulty ,it will hover untill you get your bearings ,then bring it back . Something like a Parrot 2 is a decent drone ,it has a flight time of 25 mins ,the camera is built in to the nose with a electronic stabiliser ,so no gimbal to worry about , it has GPS and will come back by itself if it loses signal . Parrot have released a new drone recently .Of course there are loads of other drones . My recent one is the Xiaomi MI , 4K camera , 20 mins flight time and a distance of 2.4 miles .The DJI range of course are very good but tend to be in a higher price range.
ricko4 h, 9 m ago

If your going to buy a drone ,you want something with GPS and a decent …If your going to buy a drone ,you want something with GPS and a decent flight time . Without GPS the drone wont hover ,so your fighting with sticks constantly to keep it in the air . GPS allows you to let go of the sticks if you get into difficulty ,it will hover untill you get your bearings ,then bring it back . Something like a Parrot 2 is a decent drone ,it has a flight time of 25 mins ,the camera is built in to the nose with a electronic stabiliser ,so no gimbal to worry about , it has GPS and will come back by itself if it loses signal . Parrot have released a new drone recently .Of course there are loads of other drones . My recent one is the Xiaomi MI , 4K camera , 20 mins flight time and a distance of 2.4 miles .The DJI range of course are very good but tend to be in a higher price range.

That's not true, the barometer is the main thing used for it to hover, gps is used for location hold not altitude hold.
Anyway, if you can't fly without GPS you shouldn't be flying as its not safe.
The GPS module is an integral part to maintain Position Hold: Allows the drone to maintain position at a fixed altitude and location.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants