Groups

Drop down list in Excel

How do I create a drop down list in Excel, such that if I have a column for gender, I can click on title of the column gender, select Male from the drop down list, and all the entries for which I have written "male" are shown, and all the "females" are hidden

Hope that made sense....

Many Thanks!!!

11 Comments

Are you by any chance doing a Sociology degree and currently doing Data Analysis :-p

.........Or doing your AS Level IT homework?

But to actually answer your question.. maybe when the drop down is selected, get it to paste in the formula sheet section, using that get an IF function to either select the male or female list.. does that make sense?

so.. male/female dropdown box ---> Paste word (e.g. H3 box) ---> Use 'IF H3, male then show male list.. else show female list...'

Will that work?

or doing a survey for male and females?

Also, if you really want the answer, you need to make a Pivot table. Then you can click on the options for that table and deselect females so only males are shown.

Just select the heading 'Gender' and choose Data -> Filter -> Autofilter

It'll make it a drop-down menu and you can choose from your options.

Original Poster

baffledsalmon;6751783

Are you by any chance doing a Sociology degree and currently doing Data … Are you by any chance doing a Sociology degree and currently doing Data Analysis :-p

lol no, not quite

Inquisitor;6751791

.........Or doing your AS Level IT homework? :pBut to actually answer … .........Or doing your AS Level IT homework? :pBut to actually answer your question.. maybe when the drop down is selected, get it to paste in the formula sheet section, using that get an IF function to either select the male or female list.. does that make sense?so.. male/female dropdown box ---> Paste word (e.g. H3 box) ---> Use 'IF H3, male then show male list.. else show female list...' Will that work?

hmmmm interesting way of doing it but I need to do it for several fields, so probably not the fastest way to do it

hodsey77;6751827

Just select the heading 'Gender' and choose Data - Filter - … Just select the heading 'Gender' and choose Data -> Filter -> AutofilterIt'll make it a drop-down menu and you can choose from your options.

that's what I was after, I've seen it done before but never knew how. thanks!!!

Again, I'll repeat, you need to make a pivot table. Find a "how to" guide on the internet, I'm sure there's one lying around. Quite complicated to start with but once you get used to it it's fine, especially as you've got very few fields... I did mine with 1750 :-p Then you can manipulate the data very easily. Depends what you're doing, if it's just A level stuff just do as above.

baffledsalmon;6752320

Again, I'll repeat, you need to make a pivot table. Find a "how to" guide … Again, I'll repeat, you need to make a pivot table. Find a "how to" guide on the internet, I'm sure there's one lying around. Quite complicated to start with but once you get used to it it's fine, especially as you've got very few fields... I did mine with 1750 :-p Then you can manipulate the data very easily. Depends what you're doing, if it's just A level stuff just do as above.

"need to" is a little strong.. theres more than one say to skin a cat :thumbsup:. Its kinda like me saying its not efficient to use Excel all together with this because Access is much easier for this type of work.................... :-D Im suprised you didnt you Access instead of Excel...

hodsey77 is correct. the other answers are just way over the top for such a simple filter.

paperclip;6752109

that's what I was after, I've seen it done before but never knew how. … that's what I was after, I've seen it done before but never knew how. thanks!!!

No probs Glad to have helped :thumbsup:

hodsey77;6751827

Just select the heading 'Gender' and choose Data - Filter - … Just select the heading 'Gender' and choose Data -> Filter -> AutofilterIt'll make it a drop-down menu and you can choose from your options.

+1 spot on, simple and straight to the point!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2441
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64489
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7251371
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047172

See more discussions