drop down menus, or right click menus completely black in firefox, help please

Found 7th Jul 2011
I have asked google, but some questions already posted have no answer, or the questions are for partially blackouts. Mines completely blacked out, any drop down box, or the grey box that appears on a right click. It only seems to be on firefox. Its driving me mad, its been like it a few days now, restarting fixes it for a short while, and i cant remember whether iv updated anything just before it started or now. Anyone have any ideas please
Community Updates
MiscFirefox
20 Comments
I ditched FF a few months ago and only use chrome now.
FF has gone to the dogs and is currently broken
Mascherano

I ditched FF a few months ago and only use chrome now.FF has gone to the … I ditched FF a few months ago and only use chrome now.FF has gone to the dogs and is currently broken

well i use both, but i prefer ff, and would like to fix my problem, so ill keep trying
tatemze

well i use both, but i prefer ff, and would like to fix my problem, so … well i use both, but i prefer ff, and would like to fix my problem, so ill keep trying

Have you installed any Firefox add-ons or extensions?
Have you tried reinstalling Firefox?

Download the latest version from the website and install it. It'll keep all your bookmarks and stuff, so nothing will be lost.
tatemze, got the same problem. A reboot solves it but not sure what the problem is or long term solution but yes, last few days it's been driving me mad. Right click (on images) for example aint always working either
will try reinstalling firefox
if that doesnt work, i hope it gets sorted soon, its super annoying.
lilraul, i havent added any add-ons or extensions for ages
tatemze

will try reinstalling firefoxif that doesnt work, i hope it gets sorted … will try reinstalling firefoxif that doesnt work, i hope it gets sorted soon, its super annoying. lilraul, i havent added any add-ons or extensions for ages

Have you got any Firefox add-ons at all?
tatemze

will try reinstalling firefoxif that doesnt work, i hope it gets sorted … will try reinstalling firefoxif that doesnt work, i hope it gets sorted soon, its super annoying. lilraul, i havent added any add-ons or extensions for ages

Under the help menu and choose "Restart with Add-ons disabled" and see if the same thing happens, if it does then its one of your extensions that has been updated in the last few days which has caused this.
Mascherano

I ditched FF a few months ago and only use chrome now.FF has gone to the … I ditched FF a few months ago and only use chrome now.FF has gone to the dogs and is currently broken

Millions would say you are wrong!

Havent had any problems with Firefox5
lilraul

Under the help menu and choose "Restart with Add-ons disabled" and see if … Under the help menu and choose "Restart with Add-ons disabled" and see if the same thing happens, if it does then its one of your extensions that has been updated in the last few days which has caused this.

yeah my menu boxes are blacked out aswel so cant do that
i think iv only got adblockplus as an add on
so you have uninstalled firefox AND deleted the install folders (under program files/mozilla) and your addons / preferences (under C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla?

Then reinstall FIREFOX5.0 (not 4.0 or 3.6)

and reinstall latest flashplayer as well

adobe.com/sof…ut/
failing that

just go back to 4.0 as a temporary measure

tatemze

yeah my menu boxes are blacked out aswel so cant do thati think iv only … yeah my menu boxes are blacked out aswel so cant do thati think iv only got adblockplus as an add on

In command prompt (cmd)

copy

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode
or for 64 bit
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode

With the quotes included.
lilraul

In command prompt (cmd)copy "C:\Program Files\Mozilla … In command prompt (cmd)copy "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode or for 64 bit"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode With the quotes included.

but who wants to permanently run a browser in safe mode?
right, iv reinstalled firefox, at the moment it seems to be back to normal. if it does however start blacking out again, i will be back. thanks everyone
csiman

but who wants to permanently run a browser in safe mode?

Who said anything about permanently running the browser in safe mode?
lilraul

Who said anything about permanently running the browser in safe mode?

so what exactly were you suggesting apart from starting the browser in safe mode? Wouldnt really achieve much in the long run
csiman

so what exactly were you suggesting apart from starting the browser in … so what exactly were you suggesting apart from starting the browser in safe mode? Wouldnt really achieve much in the long run

Wanted to know if the extensions had any conflict with the menu problem, so yes if the menu problem wasn't existent in safe mode then it's most likely a extensions problem. Not sure where I said to run in safe-mode permanently to pass-by the problem.
csiman

Millions would say you are wrong!Havent had any problems with Firefox5

This thread tells me I'm right, Einstein
Mascherano

This thread tells me I'm right, Einstein

Do you practice at being completely stupid or does it come naturally? Two people with a problem that seems to be fixed with a reinstall does not equal Firefox being broken!

Thanks for the compliment anyway but a little exaggerated
Edited by: "csiman" 9th Jul 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants