Dropped my ipad, will Apple help at all.

Found 19th Sep 2012
Really annoyed with myself I dropped my ipad which now has a broken screen and a damaged back due to it landing on a corner.
Whilst I only got it at Christmas accidental damage is not covered in the warranty with John Lewis.
I know I could get it fixed with private companies but then I understand my warranty would no longer be valid.
I wondered if anyone has any experience with Apple directly as I could go into one of the shops that has the genius bar. I am guessing it will cost me quite a bit but this is a 64GB ipad so was about £500 when bought. I did a search on here and about a year ago someone stated they had done that and Apple had just swapped the machine. I suspect they were just really really lucky. I am guessing Apple will try and offer me a refurbished one or something similar at a cost and wondered how expensive it could be before I go into the shop.
Thank you.
Sorry should have probably said the ipad itself seems to be totally working just unusable as bits of glass everywhere as it shattered in the corner.
I also have an excess of £250 on my household insurance so that's no good either.

48 Comments

buy one off ebay and do it yourself

Just a tip but I've found that you substantially increase your chances of favourable treatment from Apple if you make an appointment at the Genius Bar rather than just turning up there.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

apple might replace, it only costs them about £20 to make a new one

Really I was always under the impression this sort of thing was expensive to make. Thanks for that.

Original Poster

RonChew

Just a tip but I've found that you substantially increase your chances of … Just a tip but I've found that you substantially increase your chances of favourable treatment from Apple if you make an appointment at the Genius Bar rather than just turning up there.

Thanks the person who got a replacement on here had done that so I definitely will. I am having to travel a bit of a distance as well so wouldn't just want to drop in. Thank you.

Original Poster

StevenBrown

buy one off ebay and do it yourself

Afraid that's way out of my knowledge but thanks.

The same thing happened to me recently, i went to the apple store and they offered me a new replacement for £199, tried the sob story but didt work X). As mine is an ipad2 16gb I didnt think it was worth it for me as my house excess is only £125. I contacted my insurers (direct line) and they submitted a claim and passed it onto a third party who deal with ipads, pods etc. when i spoke to them they said that they would try to repair it firstly, then give me vouchers for currys or dixons if it could not be fixed, i disputed this as i bought direct from apple! They said they would do a cash settlement, but it would be for less that what its worth?? WTF, anyhoo after a complaint to direct line they said that with a report from apple they would give me the monetary amount that i could get a replacement which was £199!
After much debate, I decided against claiming, as i didnt think it was worth it for what would be £75 and have sent it away to get it repaired from a shop.
It should be back with me tomorrow, will let you know how it is.....
And just to let you know, your warranty is void from apple anyway as you have accidentally damaged it. (smart mouthed insurance cow informed me of this!)

RonChew

Just a tip but I've found that you substantially increase your chances of … Just a tip but I've found that you substantially increase your chances of favourable treatment from Apple if you make an appointment at the Genius Bar rather than just turning up there.

I did this, but my sob story was just not good enough! This was in Meadowhall

Banned

(smart mouthed insurance cow informed me of this!) brilliant.... X)

If you have a receipt, take out gadget insurance, wait 3 months, then make a claim.

Highly illegal, but so is how these insurance guys operate.

RFC

(smart mouthed insurance cow informed me of this!) brilliant.... X)

X) She was in actual fact the most smug bint i have ever had to deal with, it could have had something to do with me taking the high ground and attempting to tell her she was wrong idiot!

Unfortunately Apple will charge for a replacement if accidentally damaged. My wife dropped her iPhone in the toilet and we had to pay £120 for a brand new replacement, which I thought was quite good. If it had been out of warranty I think it would have been a lot more.

Chiptivo

If you have a receipt, take out gadget insurance, wait 3 months, then … If you have a receipt, take out gadget insurance, wait 3 months, then make a claim.Highly illegal, but so is how these insurance guys operate.

This^

It's worth having insurance anyway if you're clumsy, my sister has broke her blackberry about 7 or 8 times in the last 12 months so it pays to be covered, I've never damaged an expensive phone so I don't need to waste money on insurance.

Original Poster

geegee-pinata

The same thing happened to me recently, i went to the apple store and … The same thing happened to me recently, i went to the apple store and they offered me a new replacement for £199, tried the sob story but didt work X). As mine is an ipad2 16gb I didnt think it was worth it for me as my house excess is only £125. I contacted my insurers (direct line) and they submitted a claim and passed it onto a third party who deal with ipads, pods etc. when i spoke to them they said that they would try to repair it firstly, then give me vouchers for currys or dixons if it could not be fixed, i disputed this as i bought direct from apple! They said they would do a cash settlement, but it would be for less that what its worth?? WTF, anyhoo after a complaint to direct line they said that with a report from apple they would give me the monetary amount that i could get a replacement which was £199!After much debate, I decided against claiming, as i didnt think it was worth it for what would be £75 and have sent it away to get it repaired from a shop. It should be back with me tomorrow, will let you know how it is.....And just to let you know, your warranty is void from apple anyway as you have accidentally damaged it. (smart mouthed insurance cow informed me of this!)

Thanks that is useful to know. I definitely wont use my insurance due to high excess but didn't realise my warranty would be void. I guess it makes sense though as if it was dropped it could damage something inside which isn't noticed straight away. Will have to try and sob a bit more. I will go next week if I can get an appointment. May take an onion with me! Will let you know how I get on. Thanks

Original Poster

spaceinvader

This^It's worth having insurance anyway if you're clumsy, my sister has … This^It's worth having insurance anyway if you're clumsy, my sister has broke her blackberry about 7 or 8 times in the last 12 months so it pays to be covered, I've never damaged an expensive phone so I don't need to waste money on insurance.

Naughty but nice. Unfortunately I feel lost without it. The really annoying thing is I have insurance on a £100 kindle for a replacement but didn't on my ipad. Will definitely consider it in the future.

docsalokin

Unfortunately Apple will charge for a replacement if accidentally … Unfortunately Apple will charge for a replacement if accidentally damaged. My wife dropped her iPhone in the toilet and we had to pay £120 for a brand new replacement, which I thought was quite good. If it had been out of warranty I think it would have been a lot more.

Brand new replacement = refurb from a plain brown box. That is usually how Apple operates.

spraint

Brand new replacement = refurb from a plain brown box. That is usually … Brand new replacement = refurb from a plain brown box. That is usually how Apple operates.

Can confirm this is what happens.

LDHughes

LDHughes

Still slightly better than some... Sony & Vodafone wern't the least bit interested when I dropped one of my old phones in a pint...

LDHughes

I can confirm, I was brown box.

Longshot - but if you have pet insurance, most cover accidental damage done by the animal upto £1000..........

You could say, it was on the sofa, dog jumped on sofa, knocked the ipad off, onto our stone flooring = boom cracked ipad.
Edited by: "doritos" 19th Sep 2012

Flodd

Still slightly better than some... Sony & Vodafone wern't the least bit … Still slightly better than some... Sony & Vodafone wern't the least bit interested when I dropped one of my old phones in a pint...

I was by no means critisizing, it is far better than most other companies.

Just a bit of help, why have "big excesses" on your insurance, the reduction in premiums are tiny and in my opinion not worth the risk. My house contents insurance was £252 with a £250 excess and £276 with zero excess - no brainer surely?

docsalokin

Unfortunately Apple will charge for a replacement if accidentally … Unfortunately Apple will charge for a replacement if accidentally damaged. My wife dropped her iPhone in the toilet and we had to pay £120 for a brand new replacement, which I thought was quite good. If it had been out of warranty I think it would have been a lot more.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhyw4swZm41qbjeg5o1_500.gif

this?

Original Poster

ianshona

Just a bit of help, why have "big excesses" on your insurance, the … Just a bit of help, why have "big excesses" on your insurance, the reduction in premiums are tiny and in my opinion not worth the risk. My house contents insurance was £252 with a £250 excess and £276 with zero excess - no brainer surely?

Will look into that next time thanks. It certainly used to make a difference but that was years ago and I guess I have just stuck to it. Old habits.

Original Poster

Thanks no pets, will probably go for a refurb appreciate your help. Will let you know how I get on in the store next week. I will book a genius appointment.

griffin cover as advised by dga.

thanks dga, the amount of knocks and spills that thing has taken is unreal!

Goofeys Girl

Really I was always under the impression this sort of thing was expensive … Really I was always under the impression this sort of thing was expensive to make. Thanks for that.

Your impression was correct. Don't believe in things you read here.

My son dropped my ipad 2 about twenty odd days after release. I booked an appointment with the apple genius and they said £250 for a replacement(brown box) I asked if they could do any better and he spoke to his boss who came out and let me have it for £120. As I always say to people I think this was great service as they didn't drop it.
Best of luck.

Original Poster

talogon

My son dropped my ipad 2 about twenty odd days after release. I booked an … My son dropped my ipad 2 about twenty odd days after release. I booked an appointment with the apple genius and they said £250 for a replacement(brown box) I asked if they could do any better and he spoke to his boss who came out and let me have it for £120. As I always say to people I think this was great service as they didn't drop it.Best of luck.

Thanks I expect I will have to ask if they can do a bit better too. Feel very guilty as it was my Christmas present and now we are having to fork out more to replace it. Thank goodness it was my fault and not one of my sons as I may have strangled them. I guess this will haunt me if they damage their phones.

thanks
talogon

My son dropped my ipad 2 about twenty odd days after release. I booked an … My son dropped my ipad 2 about twenty odd days after release. I booked an appointment with the apple genius and they said £250 for a replacement(brown box) I asked if they could do any better and he spoke to his boss who came out and let me have it for £120. As I always say to people I think this was great service as they didn't drop it.Best of luck.

talogon

Its not really all that great service. They will make money on a £120 refurb you know, and it keeps them in a job. Do you think you are getting great service when the car salesman throws in some sporting doormats?

jah128

Its not really all that great service. They will make money on a £120 … Its not really all that great service. They will make money on a £120 refurb you know, and it keeps them in a job. Do you think you are getting great service when the car salesman throws in some sporting doormats?

Apple sells its base model iPad 2 refurbs for £259, which sell out in no time, so £120 still represents a potential loss of revenue even if it is a small profit over cost.

Keep them sweet and they will keep coming back, I suppose.

jah128 clearly I think it was good service, I am quite sure the car salesman wouldn't do me that kind of deal if I hit the gatepost in my new car.

spraint

Apple sells its base model iPad 2 refurbs for £259, which sell out in no … Apple sells its base model iPad 2 refurbs for £259, which sell out in no time, so £120 still represents a potential loss of revenue even if it is a small profit over cost.Keep them sweet and they will keep coming back, I suppose.

I don't follow. They replace the screen, at a cost of well under £120 - including labour - then they have another refurb ready to sell for £259 (or replace for £120). How are they losing revenue?

talogon

jah128 clearly I think it was good service, I am quite sure the car … jah128 clearly I think it was good service, I am quite sure the car salesman wouldn't do me that kind of deal if I hit the gatepost in my new car.

I think they probably would offer to get it repaired for several thousand pounds...

Original Poster

Just for info....
Hi took it to the Genius Bar, I had made an appointment. Could not believe how busy the store was midweek. In a nutshell they would not budge on their offer and I ended up getting the brown box iPad 2 64GB WIFI ONLY FOR £199. This was the exact model I had broken.
I did query if it was new or refurbished (knowing full well it wasn't new after reading on here). The reply was it was not refurbished it was remanufactured. He described this as meaning all the parts are recycled and made into a new ipad Lol . The warranty given is either 90 days or longer if your warranty on the first one is longer than that. My broke one had 89 days to go on the warranty so it became 90 days.
I guess this is fair as I dropped it but it does make me wish I had not gone for the 64GB one in the first place but got the 32GB and I could have spent just over £100 on an accidental 2 or 3 year cover. I would consider that in future.

Thanks for everyone who gave me advice.

If you are a hot female, the genius bar is always more than willing to help. If not, you're f**ked

Goofeys Girl

Just for info....Hi took it to the Genius Bar, I had made an appointment. … Just for info....Hi took it to the Genius Bar, I had made an appointment. Could not believe how busy the store was midweek. In a nutshell they would not budge on their offer and I ended up getting the brown box iPad 2 64GB WIFI ONLY FOR £199. This was the exact model I had broken.I did query if it was new or refurbished (knowing full well it wasn't new after reading on here). The reply was it was not refurbished it was remanufactured. He described this as meaning all the parts are recycled and made into a new ipad Lol . The warranty given is either 90 days or longer if your warranty on the first one is longer than that. My broke one had 89 days to go on the warranty so it became 90 days. I guess this is fair as I dropped it but it does make me wish I had not gone for the 64GB one in the first place but got the 32GB and I could have spent just over £100 on an accidental 2 or 3 year cover. I would consider that in future. Thanks for everyone who gave me advice.

While £199 is a lot of money, considering you broke the product yourself, I think this is brilliant service, I am not saying you are doubting this, but have seen a lot of people in this thread moan and groan, I think the Apple service is brilliant.

The 'remanufactured' iPad you have received is as good as new, there will be no marks, no signs of use at all, and the only way they can do this is by putting brand new exterior cases and fit a brand new screen, the only part which is possibly re-used is the circuit boards, even the battery is brand new. So you can be confident that the iPad is fine. You can also buy Apple care in 2-3 months time so you get the extra 2 years warranty, but this does not cover accidental damage!

Goofeys Girl

Just for info....Hi took it to the Genius Bar, I had made an appointment. … Just for info....Hi took it to the Genius Bar, I had made an appointment. Could not believe how busy the store was midweek. In a nutshell they would not budge on their offer and I ended up getting the brown box iPad 2 64GB WIFI ONLY FOR £199. This was the exact model I had broken.I did query if it was new or refurbished (knowing full well it wasn't new after reading on here). The reply was it was not refurbished it was remanufactured. He described this as meaning all the parts are recycled and made into a new ipad Lol . The warranty given is either 90 days or longer if your warranty on the first one is longer than that. My broke one had 89 days to go on the warranty so it became 90 days. I guess this is fair as I dropped it but it does make me wish I had not gone for the 64GB one in the first place but got the 32GB and I could have spent just over £100 on an accidental 2 or 3 year cover. I would consider that in future. Thanks for everyone who gave me advice.

£100 for 32GB of flash storage, with a typical retail price of about £15. Goddamn, Apple and their mark-ups...

dxx

£100 for 32GB of flash storage, with a typical retail price of about £15. … £100 for 32GB of flash storage, with a typical retail price of about £15. Goddamn, Apple and their mark-ups...

Of course it is that clear cut.

aircanman

Of course it is that clear cut.

How much do you think it really costs to add a few more gigabytes of flash?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants