Expired

Drove through amber traffic light help..

39 replies
Found 9th Dec 2008
Hi i was just driving through my local town center and went through a amber light,the there is a small gray camera on top of the lights,whats likely to happen next:??someone said its a sensor on top?it went orange as i drove through it

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
39 Comments

Its just a sensor!! Dont worry about!!

You will probably get a ticket for junmping the light.;-)

Banned

Naeem786;3708727

Its just a sensor!! Dont worry about!!

+1

The ones with cameras flash like a speed camera...prob reflection that made it go orange

im sure the grey box is just a sensor to tell the traffic light if anyone is waiting at the lights so they know when to change. it would have caused more of a hazzard for you to slam on your brakes as you were going through the light when it turned amber. I really wouldn't worry, you haven't done anything wrong.

its like a speed camera it should flash if it takes your photo you should be okay on amber, the camera usually responds about a second after the lights change red

Even if it was a camera it wouldnt get you for going through on an amber light.

Original Poster

no camera flashed

Lock your doors & windows, they will be on their way to get you right NOW :w00t:

[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]

[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
Most likely nothing will happen x

Im convinced I went through a red light a week ago. Ive only been driving since october.

What are the rules regarding traffic lights?

The obligation on the motorist is to stop, unless the light is green, in which case you may proceed only if it is clear and safe to do so. If the amber light is illuminated, a vehicle must stop, unless it has already passed the white stop line or the vehicle is so close to the stop line, that coming to a halt might cause an accident. If the red light is showing, then you must stop behind the stop line in all circumstances

I drove through a red one today, I was completely oblivious until the mother in law mentioned it after I had gone through. Luckily none of our lights have cameras on them.

Expect a knock on your door... very soon.....

The just sensors that detect if ppl are waitting / crossing.

airey;3708753

Even if it was a camera it wouldnt get you for going through on an amber … Even if it was a camera it wouldnt get you for going through on an amber light.

No law against jumping an amber light

Original Poster

so when u get caught on a set of traffic lights with a camera on it you would get a flash if it caught u?

ttsese;3708750

its like a speed camera it should flash if it takes your photo you should … its like a speed camera it should flash if it takes your photo you should be okay on amber, the camera usually responds about a second after the lights change red

it really isn't. Any camera which is there to detect someone running a red light is mounted seperately from the traffic light not on top of.

strobez1977;3708808

so when u get caught on a set of traffic lights with a camera on it you … so when u get caught on a set of traffic lights with a camera on it you would get a flash if it caught u?

You would see the camera, most of them have sensors and cameras look different!!

strobez1977;3708808

so when u get caught on a set of traffic lights with a camera on it you … so when u get caught on a set of traffic lights with a camera on it you would get a flash if it caught u?

the camera would not be on the street light itself and you went through an amber not a red.

its a censor on a puffin crossing,besides if the light changed to amber as you were going through then it does'nt matter as you are already going through it before the change,i belive it is 2 car lengths

the sensor on top of the traffic lights is for use in the dark. if you approach a traffic light on red in the night and your lights hit the sensor it is supposed to initiate a change to green, providing the corresponding sensor on the other lights don't detect another car's lights. this is why you sometimes see people putting on high beam when approaching lights in the dark.

if it was a traffic light camera then it would flash if you passed the sensor under the white line when the light was already red

Banned

OP is this what you mean? These just tell the traffic lights that a car is waitiing/coming, most traffic lights now use sensors in the road, strips of rubber buried just under the tarmac.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/040929_rfoster_mp_ict_trafficlights_sensor.jpg

If it was one of these then it will flash if you go through on red, not amber.
http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1/1933073-A_traffic_light_camera-London.jpg

Banned

wolf359;3708859

the sensor on top of the traffic lights is for use in the dark. if you … the sensor on top of the traffic lights is for use in the dark. if you approach a traffic light on red in the night and your lights hit the sensor it is supposed to initiate a change to green, providing the corresponding sensor on the other lights don't detect another car's lights. this is why you sometimes see people putting on high beam when approaching lights in the dark.

Makes me laugh when I see people do this, they are just lasers that detect large objects passing through them, is for day and night :whistling:

[QUOTE=lumoruk;3708861]OP is this what you mean? These just tell the traffic lights that a car is waitiing/coming, most traffic lights now use sensors in the road, strips of rubber buried just under the tarmac.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/040929_rfoster_mp_ict_trafficlights_sensor.jpg

And they can't see motorcycles... GRRRRRR!!!!!

:x

it's not illegal to go through a amber light if you have to brake hard to stop ie you are commited to it!:santa:

mikebike;3708980

it's not illegal to go through a amber light if you have to brake hard to … it's not illegal to go through a amber light if you have to brake hard to stop ie you are commited to it!:santa:

I've often wondered whether you could argue this point if caught, but if I had my hung drawn and quatered head on I would say you should be slowing down at lights incase they change

Banned

[email protected];3708963

And they can't see motorcycles... GRRRRRR!!!!!:x

Probably why they are replacing them with strips of rubber in the road, try riding in the middle of the road. Works fine for me on a pedal bike I just stand up.

a laser can't detect something passing through a beam if it doesn't have a corresponding receiver.
just rang a mate of mine who's a traffic warden (he was the one who told me they were light sensors) he confirms they're light sensors (lux triggers he called them) originally designed so that emergency vehicles could trigger the light change without slowing down. so either laser or lux trigger they do the same job.
the more modern lights do indeed use inductive loop and other sensors in the road but the old fashioned light sensor is still in common use

greg_68;3709047

I've often wondered whether you could argue this point if caught, but if … I've often wondered whether you could argue this point if caught, but if I had my hung drawn and quatered head on I would say you should be slowing down at lights incase they change

I would agree in some cases but if we slowed down just in case then the whole point of traffic measures like lights and roundabouts would be meaningless,:?

Banned

wolf359;3709111

a laser can't detect something passing through a beam if it doesn't have … a laser can't detect something passing through a beam if it doesn't have a corresponding receiver.

traffic warden...highest calibre of intelligence, how exactly do we all get caught speeding by laser guns? :-D shoot a laser receiver/reflector on our cars then try and determine how fast we are travelling :lol:

you said it. they shoot a laser and it bounces back from the car to the sensor in the gun, the time it takes is measured and thus the speed is calculated. the person firing the laser gun has to be specially trained to make sure he aims the beam at the correct point on the car to ensure an accurate reading. aim at the wrong point of the car and the you get garbage out. also the gun has to be calibrated very often as they lose accuracy. it would be complete overkill to employ such techniques to see if a car is waiting at the lights. also health and safety would go nuts about laser beams being shot willy-nilly out of every traffic light

edit the newer laser guns also use the doppler effect to determine speed, again useless in determining the position of a car

I believe what this is described as in law.. is "the amber gamble" some you win some you lose

Banned

its a sensor, we have then on our bridge for traffic to come up and dad as single cars at a time

mikebike;3708980

it's not illegal to go through a amber light if you have to brake hard to … it's not illegal to go through a amber light if you have to brake hard to stop ie you are commited to it!:santa:

Depends at what stage of amber it is - if the light changes to red as the car is crossing the line and triggering the camera then you will be penalised. Having to brake hard is not a defence as it means you were not prepared to stop, if you see a green light as you are driving along you should give yourself enough time to stop if the light does change.

John

Banned

So when i walk into a shop and the doors open for me i'm emitting a magical light?

these are generally sensors as mentioned above. The offence is committed if you go through the white line when the light is red. Amber does not count

the auto-doors in supermarkets etc are PIR not laser. they detect the combination of your body heat and movement

st8mike

Short version of the law is....going from green to amber you must stop as … Short version of the law is....going from green to amber you must stop as it is considered to be the same as a red light.( Unless as already pointed out doing so may cause an accident, or you were already crossing the line when it changed. )

After 8.5yrs, I'm sure it's been sorted....

Comment wasn't meant for that particular person but for others who might read it and " wonder " what the law is.

st8mike

Comment wasn't meant for that particular person but for others who might … Comment wasn't meant for that particular person but for others who might read it and " wonder " what the law is.

Don't feed the necro bumpers
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3285
    2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226646
    3. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4176
    4. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?993251

See more discussions