Drying Bay Leaves

Posted 15th Jun 2020
A friend of mine has just dropped off some Bay Leaves which I am looking to dry and keep. When drying the leaves should I cut the stalk off where it attaches to the leaf of leave as is shown in the picture below?

First time I have done this so not 100% if leaving the small stalk still on or trim right to the leaves.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
41100766-j9yYq.jpg
I don't think it would make any difference either way. Why not ask your friend who gave them to you what they would do?
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 15th Jun
Haircut_10015/06/2020 14:32

I don't think it would make any difference either way. Why not ask your …I don't think it would make any difference either way. Why not ask your friend who gave them to you what they would do?

I can’t get hold of him as he is working and I won’t to start drying them ASAP as it supposedly keeps more of the flavour. I’ve looked on google but it didn’t quite specify on trimming etc
justonemore15/06/2020 14:36

I can’t get hold of him as he is working and I won’t to start drying them A …I can’t get hold of him as he is working and I won’t to start drying them ASAP as it supposedly keeps more of the flavour. I’ve looked on google but it didn’t quite specify on trimming etc

Well just dry it with the stalk on then, if you want to cut off it later on then you can do that. It's just a dried leaf that's all.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 15th Jun
Id leave it on as you can always break it off when it's dry.
Either put them in a food drier or the oven on low with the door slightly open.
joedastudd15/06/2020 14:38

Id leave it on as you can always break it off when it's dry.Either put …Id leave it on as you can always break it off when it's dry.Either put them in a food drier or the oven on low with the door slightly open.

Cheers
If for consumption just make sure the bay tree you are taking the leaves from us from the edible variety. I read somewhere that some are edible others are not.
fearghalg15/06/2020 14:47

If for consumption just make sure the bay tree you are taking the leaves …If for consumption just make sure the bay tree you are taking the leaves from us from the edible variety. I read somewhere that some are edible others are not.

Thanks
I leave them on as it doesnt make a difference and I find they dry out ok if I leave them in a bowl on the kitchen side.
Quick rinse, quick dunk in boiling water (couple of seconds only) shake water off and lay individual leaves on Kitchen paper. Warm oven
to lowest heat setting and put in oven and dry. Don't worry about trimming before drying, don't use bruised leaves.
Doesn't make any difference

I find they dry out fine just leaving them in an open container. No need to waste energy with an oven.
Post a comment
@
    Text