Drying clothes in flat with underfloor heating help!

Found 20th May 2015
I am due to move into a 3rd floor flat with underfloor heating. However there is no communal area inside or out to dry clothes. Would a high spin washing machine and the underfloor heating be enough to dry clothes?

I am also very worried about creating damp and mold though, so would this be an issue as well?

If not, will have to invest in either a tumble dryer / washer dryer. Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Ask
  2. Clothes
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Clothes
12 Comments

Use a decent washing machine with a spin cycle and buy a decent clothes horse. Ensure you don't put it in a corner but allow it plenty of room for air to circulate around it. If you can put it in a position where sunlight will dry the clothes even better. Also opening the windows on a regular basis to get air flow will help avoid damp and dry the clothes much quicker as the more saturated with water the air becomes the slower the clothes will dry.

and buy a dehumidifier for when the windows are closed...

In the Winter I think you may need a Tumble Dryer as thick Winter clothing will take ages to dry on an airer.

If you're a light sleeper like me you won't get on too well with a Dehumidifier, they are noisy!

I personally would try and buy a separate tumble dryer or a washer dryer. Clothes horses are fine for lightweight items such as t-shirts and underwear but heavy items that hold water such as jeans take forever. Also a clothes horse will take up much needed space and nothing gets you down more than looking at and continually checking wet clothes.
Also don't be tempted to put dark coloured wet towels or jeans over the top of the doors to dry just in case the dye runs or you'll find the outline of your items having discoloured any white gloss paint.

Toptrumpet

I personally would try and buy a separate tumble dryer or a washer dryer. … I personally would try and buy a separate tumble dryer or a washer dryer. Clothes horses are fine for lightweight items such as t-shirts and underwear but heavy items that hold water such as jeans take forever. Also a clothes horse will take up much needed space and nothing gets you down more than looking at and continually checking wet clothes. Also don't be tempted to put dark coloured wet towels or jeans over the top of the doors to dry just in case the dye runs or you'll find the outline of your items having discoloured any white gloss paint.

Has that happened to you ?

I hang things on hangers,not over the doors themselves X)

I rent a property where the tenant used the door to dry her jeans on, when she left there was a lovely paint effect of size 20 jeans, wouldn't have minded so much if she had been a size 8, then I wouldn't have had to but 2 tins of paint to cover it up.

Search up a product called Dri Buddy by JML. I've not tried it personally but it looks good. It basically dries your clothes using warm air. Although it might not hold too many clothes

Argos sell it £59.99 dri buddy. Looks quite good and obviously folds away when not in use.

If you have the space i would personally get a a dryer. The underfloor heating wont be enough to dry your clothes and you will end up with damp. Also i find clothes left to dry for days with no heat or air end up smelling like wet dogs. Not nice.

Buy one of those heated airers, like a towel radiator, they dry things amazingly fast. worth a shot before investing in a tumble drier. then a normal airer for lighter things?

Toptrumpet

I rent a property where the tenant used the door to dry her jeans on, … I rent a property where the tenant used the door to dry her jeans on, when she left there was a lovely paint effect of size 20 jeans, wouldn't have minded so much if she had been a size 8, then I wouldn't have had to but 2 tins of paint to cover it up.

Ohhh that's cruel X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants