DS3 headunit upgrade

So, my DS3 doesn't have USB or Bluetooth, just auxiliary. The Citroen upgrade parts to have both of these will be a fortune, and more tinkering is required than just connecting cables.

I've been looking at some Alpine headunits, CDE-177BT to be exact.

Now, I'm not upgrading the speakers or such. I'll using a connects2 adapter, so I still have stalk control with the rear parking sensors still intact. That's about £70. So it'd probably cost about £240ish all in.

Will an aftermarket head unit, also get more from the speakers?

6 Comments

It may output more wattage than the OEM head unit so could be a yes.

I had one of these a few years ago in a Passat and with the built in Parrot and A2DP streaming it was excellent.

Original Poster

Brydo666

It may output more wattage than the OEM head unit so could be a yes. I … It may output more wattage than the OEM head unit so could be a yes. I had one of these a few years ago in a Passat and with the built in Parrot and A2DP streaming it was excellent.

Do you know where would tell me that, if at all?

Cheers

On the Alpine website it states 4x50w which is about normal. The OEM may be 4x20w or so.

It'll be a minor improvement if any, if you want to see a difference you'll want new component speakers.

Original Poster

Brydo666

On the Alpine website it states 4x50w which is about normal. The OEM may … On the Alpine website it states 4x50w which is about normal. The OEM may be 4x20w or so. It'll be a minor improvement if any, if you want to see a difference you'll want new component speakers.

On upgrading the speakers, it'd only be worth doing the front left and front right speakers.. Possibly the speaker in the front. But for that i'd have to pay for those to be fitted as i'd have no idea with replacing actual speakers. Any ideas on cost?

Original Poster

I've gone for the Alpine 177BT mentioned above for £161 delivered. Got the CTSCT008 for £33 via ebay which is around half price, so I can still use rear parking sensors and stalk controls. Alpine patch lead £3.99, and a radio lead £3.99 Hopefully it's not too hard to fit. (Never done one before).

Saved £40 on the price up yesterday, the notible cost saving was the connects2 adapter
Edited by: "DarrylJohn" 30th Dec 2015

Original Poster

It was worth the upgrade, speakers are much better now. Spotify over bluetooth is much better too, being able to skip tracks with the steering stalks etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any plumbers DIY'rs? basin waste problem11
    2. Can you change the battery on the newer style Oral B 4000 toothbrush?79
    3. iPhone charging cable.915
    4. electric hammer drill46

See more discussions