Expired

DSG CEO John Browett reply to PC World price match policy instore refusal !!

24 replies
Found 28th Sep 2008
HI all,
I recently visited the PC world in plymouth and asked them to price match the Sony A200 with Amazon for ~£238 and the Sales Adviser went to consult the manager. He came back with a blatant lie on my face that we do not price match with Amazon. when i said that ' yes u do its on your website and also i ve done it myself in the past' to which he replied that thats what he has been asked by the manager to tell u and u can speak to the manager. i was in a rush to work and did not bother and walked out.
Later in night that day I just tried my luck as i know that their domain names [email protected]dsgiplc.com so i sent email to all possible combinations for John Browett (CEO) for his email address. and guess what!!, I have rcvd a reply from him (still doubt if he himself must ve replied but considering the mail was replied on sunday, i think i might have the right person here!) this is how it reads:

Dear Amit,

Thank you for your note. I am afraid I won't be able to give you the answer you want. We don't price match against pure internet players in store. This includes Amazon. I imagine in the past the store has been exercising their discretion for a good customer. Price match is against other stores.

We are usually able to get very close to internet pricing and sometimes we are even cheaper. But, it does cost more to run stores and provide a salesforce. Where stores come into their own being able to help choose the right product including accesories and when the product breaks.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Regards

John

Now thats just a shame, he also is purely telling a lie, Can someone suggest me what to reply to this mail plz. I know some points to include: copy paste policy, the fact that it does not state on the policy that it is online only, the claim 'internet prices to take away', double standards, false advertising.
So if someone can help me draft a polite denial of his email and let me put my point more strongly, I would be grateful.

thx.

24 Comments

Banned

ignore it.
go back instore and speak with a manager they will agree, i had same problem the other day with price match against ebuyer. manager said they didnt price match i got them to bring up the site where it says in black and white then he said you have to ring the number on the price match screen to do internt matching.

the actual store manager got involved as i would not leave until it was sorted as could not log onto ebuyer site and he said yes will match it after ringing them and confirming it was in stock and including delivery

persistance is the key do not take no for an answert

Moved to misc forum, feedback is for HUKD issues

Print off pcworld.co.uk/mar…ise and take it in, there are usually signs on the tills as well, they can't argue then :thumbsup:

I can see them removing this Price Match Policy soon, it's costing them a fortune, and they are getting more and more reluctant to match prices, trying to wriggle out of it. Shame they don't see, that it is better to get some money for the item than none at all, with you buying somewhere else.

Banned

nah they make a clap load of money mate, dont be fooled not everybody goes in asking for price matches

plus their stuff is severly overpriced

there is a reason they have just increased the people who they price match and it has only just stretched to ebuyer and the like

]marian_14_jul - the price match policy says that the price will be matched over the phone... not in store, as far as I can see.

I Have had this problem aswell, but after pointing out the wording on the bottom of there policy boards buy the tills they changed there minds. I have pricematched with play.com and got extra 10%

peodude;3073071

I can see them removing this Price Match Policy soon, it's costing them a … I can see them removing this Price Match Policy soon, it's costing them a fortune

If they wasnt so vastly overpriced in the first place it wouldnt cost them so much, PCworld to me is last resort to try for computer goods, I always see them as a shop where people have no clue about pc's go in the belief that the staff will know what they are talking about and able to give advice. In my experience they dont!!!

It made me laugh at ours as 100 yards away was a small independent pc shop who advertised "PC World beating price promise" and you couldnt miss it visiting pc world either, he did a roaring trade and built up a vast customer base from the back of pc world, and in return sales increased meaning he could buy in larger volumes and prices drop again!

emmajk42;3073099

]marian_14_jul - the price match policy says that the price will be … ]marian_14_jul - the price match policy says that the price will be matched over the phone... not in store, as far as I can see.

Emma.
I think the key bit is:
If you find a lower price for the same product and offer, we'll reduce our price by 110% of the difference –[COLOR=Navy] even up to 7 days after purchase. [/COLOR]
This applies to prices offered by retailers within 30 miles of your local PC World store and the UK websites listed below:

Websites: items sold by Amazon.co.uk*(excluding Amazon Marketplace), Argos, Asda, B&Q, Comet, Dabs*, Ebuyer.com*, Dell, Evesham Technology*, Game, Gamestation, Halfords, HMV, Jessops, John Lewis, Maplin, Misco*, Play*, Staples, Tesco, Toys r Us, Virgin, Woolworths

If that was me and got a obnoxious manager I would buy at full price and then claim the refund over the phone saying about the managers attitude as it will cost them more to process the refund over the phone and issue a cheque etc than to discount at POS:thumbsup:

harlzter;3073145

Emma.I think the key bit is:If you find a lower price for the same … Emma.I think the key bit is:If you find a lower price for the same product and offer, we'll reduce our price by 110% of the difference –[COLOR=Navy] even up to 7 days after purchase. [/COLOR] This applies to prices offered by retailers within 30 miles of your local PC World store and the UK websites listed below: Websites: items sold by Amazon.co.uk*(excluding Amazon Marketplace), Argos, Asda, B&Q, Comet, Dabs*, Ebuyer.com*, Dell, Evesham Technology*, Game, Gamestation, Halfords, HMV, Jessops, John Lewis, Maplin, Misco*, Play*, Staples, Tesco, Toys r Us, Virgin, WoolworthsIf that was me and got a obnoxious manager I would buy at full price and then claim the refund over the phone saying about the managers attitude as it will cost them more to process the refund over the phone and issue a cheque etc than to discount at POS:thumbsup:

And this seems to be a pretty key bit here too:

To take advantage of our price promise, please telephone our sales team … To take advantage of our price promise, please telephone our sales team on 0844 561 0000

harlzter;3073145

Emma.I think the key bit is:If you find a lower price for the same … Emma.I think the key bit is:If you find a lower price for the same product and offer, we'll reduce our price by 110% of the difference –[COLOR=Navy] even up to 7 days after purchase. [/COLOR] This applies to prices offered by retailers within 30 miles of your local PC World store and the UK websites listed below: Websites: items sold by Amazon.co.uk*(excluding Amazon Marketplace), Argos, Asda, B&Q, Comet, Dabs*, Ebuyer.com*, Dell, Evesham Technology*, Game, Gamestation, Halfords, HMV, Jessops, John Lewis, Maplin, Misco*, Play*, Staples, Tesco, Toys r Us, Virgin, WoolworthsIf that was me and got a obnoxious manager I would buy at full price and then claim the refund over the phone saying about the managers attitude as it will cost them more to process the refund over the phone and issue a cheque etc than to discount at POS:thumbsup:

Ah good point. Currys only do it over the phone now too. Might be because we used to go and get price matches and use my friends discount card too.

Banned

the wording is tricky and i believe it may have been changed recently and covienetly they have not been able to log onto the ebuyer site every time i have asked for a price match which is 4 times over the last few weeks.

they can go anywhere else on the internet but not the ebuyer site? 3 tseperate occasions so far

everytime i have been succesful tho and with perseverance, although sometimes you can get a member of staff who doesnt give a clap and will take your word for what the price is!!!

it will cost them more in shipping if they do insist over the phone and probably worth going to where the cheaper price is anyway on principle cut pc world out of the loop

i only go there as i can get it on the spot rather than waiting for delivery the 10% aint worth that m uch to me

Original Poster

I have just sent this long mail to him again, lets c what he says,:thinking:

Hi John,

First of all thanks for the time that you have taken out of your busy schedule to actually to reply to a customer's email, or rather out of your precious holiday time.

Where I completely agree with you that running stores involve the associated costs and that was my reason to email you that to manage the customer's expectations you should limit the price match policy to internet sales only. And also may I suggest to change the wordings of your price match policy on the website which clearly states (and I copy paste):

"We check our prices against major retailers and websites every day so you can buy with confidence.

If you find a lower price for the same product and offer, we'll reduce our price by 110% of the difference – even up to 7 days after purchase.

This applies to prices offered by retailers within 30 miles of your local PC World store and the UK websites listed below. The competitor must have the item in stock and website prices must include delivery. Single unit purchases only. "

And also on the footnote where it lists the internet websites that you DO price match contradicting to your reply that you don't, here's how it goes:

"Websites: items sold by Amazon.co.uk*(excluding Amazon Marketplace), Argos, Asda, B&Q, Comet, Dabs*, Ebuyer.com*, Dell, Evesham Technology*, Game, Gamestation, Halfords, HMV, Jessops, John Lewis, Maplin, Misco*, Play*, Staples, Tesco, Toys r Us, Virgin, Woolworths *(Excludes Televisions)

Now when you say that you only price match instore with retailers, it is just not true cause as quoted above you say "within 30 miles of your local PC World store and the UK websites listed below". So cleary a customer who looks and your website and reads this and find some product on any of those listed website cheaper and thinking he/she would be able to do a price match instore at his/her local PC World, which are normally located in industrial states far from the main town centre. When she/he actually travels that far to visit the store to be only told that we only price match with retailers, its just not acceptable and a bad experience for the customer overall.

Well you may argue that in online it also says to call a 0844 no. to get that price match, but then you have advertising boards instore again claiming the price match and to check full terms and conditions online or ask a colleague. Now someone who sees that board and goes home and check the website clearly would assume that the offer is valid over telesales as well as instore unless you mention it clearly that instore its only with retailers and for the websites you have to actually call that number. That would end any confusion with customers and manage their expectations more effectively. Nowhere it clearly states that instore its only with the retailers and not with the websites.

Also when you advertise "Internet Prices to take Home" it kind of again contradicts your whole price match policy if I take it that the customer understands the way you actually want them to do, i.e. instore only with retailers and to call for the websites, which I doubt people actually do with the vague wording. Further as I said that the advertising boards instore also state that you actually do price match with websites (usually found at entrance and tills).

And to top that, Sales Advisors and Managers actually price matching at their discretion makes it more confusing and frustrating for many people. Consider how would I feel if I came to know that a Manager has actually price matched a product to my mate and not me!, discriminated I suppose, don't you? Again the point of double standards and false advertising come into play as well.

I have actually discussed this whole issue on a forum and this is what people have to say:

"ignore it.
go back instore and speak with a manager they will agree, i had same problem the other day with price match against ebuyer. manager said they didnt price match i got them to bring up the site where it says in black and white then he said you have to ring the number on the price match screen to do internt matching.

the actual store manager got involved as i would not leave until it was sorted as could not log onto ebuyer site and he said yes will match it after ringing them and confirming it was in stock and including delivery"

"Print off pcworld.co.uk/mar…ise and take it in, there are usually signs on the tills as well, they can't argue then

I can see them removing this Price Match Policy soon, it's costing them a fortune, and they are getting more and more reluctant to match prices, trying to wriggle out of it. Shame they don't see, that it is better to get some money for the item than none at all, with you buying somewhere else."

"I Have had this problem as well, but after pointing out the wording on the bottom of there policy boards buy the tills they changed there minds. I have price matched with play.com and got extra 10%"

So I hope you understand my point and take this feedback constructively, I suggest you should make the policy much more clear instore as well as online and ask your staff to be more consistent with the same so the customers know where they stand when buying instore, online or telesales. I would be raising this issue with trading standards for my local council as well at your head office based council as well as in to make the policy more clear instores as there is a clear grey area for false adverstising.

I would update to you the replies of both the councils and what do they think on the whole matter. Let me know your thoughts again,

Regards,
Amit Jain

I have sent a text to a friend who has just served his last day at DSG. He has said they are trying to get as many people as possible to price match over the phone, they are then sending out gift vouchers. He is not sure how the conversation goes on the telephone but has noticed several complaints from customers expecting cash but getting gift vouchers.

Also many store are having problems logging onto Ebuyer, and many store are only excepting a price match with Amazon if its actually them and not a store selling via Amazon.

Original Poster

Staroffurby;3073222

I have sent a text to a friend who has just served his last day at DSG. … I have sent a text to a friend who has just served his last day at DSG. He has said they are trying to get as many people as possible to price match over the phone, they are then sending out gift vouchers. He is not sure how the conversation goes on the telephone but has noticed several complaints from customers expecting cash but getting gift vouchers.Also many store are having problems logging onto Ebuyer, and many store are only excepting a price match with Amazon if its actually them and not a store selling via Amazon.

yeah thats true for the amazon, it actually states on their policy online now excluding marketplace. but the camera i was trying to price match is sold by amazon direct.

Banned

If I received a letter that started:

First of all thanks for the time that you have taken out of your busy … First of all thanks for the time that you have taken out of your busy schedule to actually to reply to a customer's email, or rather out of your precious holiday time.

It would go straight in the bin.

If you want people to help you, thats not the way to go about it.

Original Poster

guv;3073249

If I received a letter that started:It would go straight in the bin.If … If I received a letter that started:It would go straight in the bin.If you want people to help you, thats not the way to go about it.

too late now, I did asked for the advise on drafting a reply anyway lets c

Banned

vouchers!!!
"Once the price is verified we can process your order immediately over the telephone."

they will match the price instantly and if its within the 7 days id be demanding a refund to my card over the phone there and then!!

up to them but it will cost them more in postage

vouchers!!! no chance, i will take my chances instore and if not then ill go elsewhere

Original Poster

guv;3073249

If I received a letter that started:It would go straight in the bin.If … If I received a letter that started:It would go straight in the bin.If you want people to help you, thats not the way to go about it.

can you for future still let me know how should ve i gone about starting the letter plz

I always go to the PC world that's opened just round the corner and not once have they refused the price match i had a sapphire 4850 when they first came out for £103 they are still £20 more now. I always get them to price match play.com on there verb dual layer discs as play sell them for £11.99 PC world sell them for £19.99 what i do is print off the web page for the item that includes the price and take that with me I've even reserved the goods online and collected them i end up paying around £10.80 for 10 of the best make dual layer disc there is and get them for what is possibly the cheapest you can get them for any where.

Ive even had my missis get them and she knows nothing about PC stuff she even had them find the discs for her and then had the price match plus 10%. Don't let them fob you off print the PC world web page that states that they will match these prices in store with you and print out the item you want from the retailer and make sure it has the current time and date on it if they wont do it ask to see the manager if that doesn't happen make a scene in the store they will be only to glad to do it tell other people in the store that they to can get a price match from the online stores and make the guys life a misery for being a 2 bid liar and to add insult to injury take his full name and when you get home phone head office and tell them he wouldn't do the price match and he showed you up in store arguing with you and ask them what they intend to do about his rude behaviour.

Original Poster

polly69;3073310

I always go to the PC world that's opened just round the corner and not … I always go to the PC world that's opened just round the corner and not once have they refused the price match i had a sapphire 4850 when they first came out for £103 they are still £20 more now. I always get them to price match play.com on there verb dual layer discs as play sell them for £11.99 PC world sell them for £19.99 what i do is print off the web page for the item that includes the price and take that with me I've even reserved the goods online and collected them i end up paying around £10.80 for 10 of the best make dual layer disc there is and get them for what is possibly the cheapest you can get them for any where.Ive even had my missis get them and she knows nothing about PC stuff she even had them find the discs for her and then had the price match plus 10%. Don't let them fob you off print the PC world web page that states that they will match these prices in store with you and print out the item you want from the retailer and make sure it has the current time and date on it if they wont do it ask to see the manager if that doesn't happen make a scene in the store they will be only to glad to do it tell other people in the store that they to can get a price match from the online stores and make the guys life a misery for being a 2 bid liar and to add insult to injury take his full name and when you get home phone head office and tell them he wouldn't do the price match and he showed you up in store arguing with you and ask them what they intend to do about his rude behaviour.

good point, does anyone know their head office no., not the cust srvc but direct head office, anyone?

Original Poster

UPDATE:

This is the last reply from the CEO I have rcvd, looks he has admitted of the mistake he made by saying that they dont do price match with amazon:

As I said I am investigating. You are right that is what the price match says for Amazon. We are now reviewing our policy.

I have copied this note to my assistant for you to receive a payment under our price match guarantee. We will honour the price match against the original price you have given us.

Regards

John

I have logged a complaint at Consumer Direct as well.
:whistling:

marian_14_jul;3099031

UPDATE:This is the last reply from the CEO I have rcvd, looks he has … UPDATE:This is the last reply from the CEO I have rcvd, looks he has admitted of the mistake he made by saying that they dont do price match with amazon:As I said I am investigating. You are right that is what the price match says for Amazon. We are now reviewing our policy.I have copied this note to my assistant for you to receive a payment under our price match guarantee. We will honour the price match against the original price you have given us.RegardsJohnI have logged a complaint at Consumer Direct as well.:whistling:

Good for you, you little rockwilder you.... :thumbsup:

Yeah its all lies if they refuse to price match, i have had my local store (telford) price match play.com, amazon, asda online, ebuyer, woolworths (remember the xbox 360 harddrive price error? :whistling: ) and other websites without any difficulty. I've done the same thing with other pc world stores local to me several times, and as long as you take a print out of their policy and the current price of the item you will be ok. Like others have said, if you have problems ask to speak to the manager and show him the copy of the policy in front of other customers..

I work at PC World and while some managers may wish to wriggle out of it (any discount, even "buy one get one free" and pricematch, is logged - if the store does over 1.8% it gets bollocked...), they do pricematch Amazon etc.

Just make sure you take in the T&C's to back you up.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What's the best used laptop I can get for £180?23
    2. Issue with Quidco referrals not tracking22
    3. Android TV box help?22
    4. Best phone for spec- canada and uk?11

See more discussions