DSLR advice

I've currently got a Fuji "bridge" camera and looking to upgrade to a proper SLR now. As CDiscount have this 40% account credit promotion if we win the Ashes (which looks likely now) I'm tempted to go for one of these.

cdiscount.co.uk/Pho…tml

I'd usually spend a couple of days researching what to get, but to qualify for the discount you need to order before the end of the 5th test of course. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could offer any advice, I know there are a lot of people here who know their stuff. I like the look of the Nikon D3000 with 18-55 mm lens (£435 pre order so don't know when it's out) and the Canon EOS 1000D for £410 with 18-55 mm lens or £500 with the 18-55 mm AND a 17-300 mm lens.

Thanks in advance!

12 Comments

I'm not familiar with the discount, that seems a lot on an SLR which are normally excluded from any type of offer.

As always on this type of post, I'd recommend not looking at the camera but look at the system - all the current digital SLRs are very good but they each have some benefits over each other. What do you currently use your camera for? What specifically do you want an SLR for?

John

Original Poster

It's a general offer across the entire site cdiscount.co.uk/hom…tml on the homepage.

On second look, it appears the Canon lenses don't have IS where as the the Nikon has VR, which I assume is quite important. Use it for everything really, from shooting landscapes to marketing shots at work. I realize I'd need new lenses of course.

I'm a bit puzzled by that, as far as I'm aware the 1000D should come with the 18-55mm IS lens and if you look at the pictures you'll see it is the stabilised version. The 18-55mm non-IS was the kit lens for the older 400D but they may be doing some swapping around. I do think stabilisation is important so I'd double check what they're actually selling.

What do your friends or workmates shoot with? Given the high cost of lenses and flashes if you know someone who shoots with a particualr brand you can try out equipment with it can be very useful. Do you see yourself going further up the system at a later date or will you be happy with this level of SLR? What attracts you to SLRs?

John

Original Poster

Thanks John Cdiscount are well know for messing up product info.

This is probably a really stupid question, but if I have access to a number of old Canon lenses (my dad has an old Canon SLR) will these work on a Canon DSLR?

Original Poster

Thanks, the 450d looks pretty good too, anyone have any idea on using lenses from an SLR?

JimmyW;6094482

Thanks John Cdiscount are well know for messing up product info.This … Thanks John Cdiscount are well know for messing up product info.This is probably a really stupid question, but if I have access to a number of old Canon lenses (my dad has an old Canon SLR) will these work on a Canon DSLR?

I assume the old lenses are FD-mount, Canon changed their mount to EF and EF-S which is not compatible with the older FD mount lenses. It's not a stupid question at all as the question varies on the manufacturer - Pentax have stuck with the same mount which means you can mount just about any Pentax lens ever made on them, Nikon have kept with the F mount for a while but on their entry level bodies there's no autofocus.

John

Original Poster

Thanks John thats very useful as yes they are FD mount lenses, I'm more inclined to go with the Nikon in that case...I think.

Original Poster

It seems you can buy an adaptor to use an FD lens with the EF body mount, so maybe I will just go for a Canon then.

I'd check reviews out of the adapter - they do exist to allow the lens to be mounted but the resulting image quality can be questionable as it's not as simple as adapting legacy lenses for other mounts.

John

Original Poster

There is one on ebay from the UK and all the feedback say's the item is great, so I went for the Canon 450d with bag and 8gb card, £550 but should be about £320 with the credit and quidco.

Regardless of how well the adapter works, it's a very good camera with a good second hand market for picking up lenses so hopefully you'll get on well with it.

John
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213597
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…11
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764000
    4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17386133

See more discussions