Dual Band wifi router which supports usb tethering.

Posted 13th May
Hello everyone.

i recently purchased Xiaomi Max 3 5g to use it for hotspot only as i get very strong 5g Signals indoors.

Hotspot signals are not that strong compared to my note 9 i was using earlier.

Can anyone recommend a good dual band router which supports usb tethering?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
The ASUS line with Merlin firmware supports this over USB3 like the AC68 and AC86. Though I have never tried to use it.
My trusty Asus rt-n66u router with stock firmware does. I've tried it using a ZTE mf823 usb 4G stick and a Motorola 4g phone, both work and you then benefit from good WiFi coverage in the house. I'm pretty sure that newer Asus models also work.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 14th May
Dannyrobbo14/05/2020 07:05

The ASUS line with Merlin firmware supports this over USB3 like the AC68 …The ASUS line with Merlin firmware supports this over USB3 like the AC68 and AC86. Though I have never tried to use it.

Can confirm. I have a 4G EE Osprey dongle which I use for this purpose, on both those models... I don't leave it turned on all the time, but if VM start having issues and my broadband goes down, then I turn it on and set the router to dual wan mode. (USB 2.0 port on the Asus)
Works just fine, but, I do need to check status of the VM on occasion, as if that comes back, then it will be using both. I set it to dual WAN rather than backup mode. A check on fast.com will indicate things are good also. Typically I may get say 100Mbs in nromal mode, on dual wan it can go up to 160Mbs when both are running well, then I turn off the dongle and the dual WAN function on the router.
Thank you so much guys, i am now going to try one of these and will update if all works good.
secretmsg14/05/2020 13:05

Thank you so much guys, i am now going to try one of these and will update …Thank you so much guys, i am now going to try one of these and will update if all works good.

I got the AC86U not long ago, £135 odd Amazon. Think the one I got has issues with the 2.4Ghz on occasion. The AC68U I've had for years without issues. Felt its time I upgraded as I've around 50-60 devices on the network at a time, and planned to use the 68 as a mesh node to get more coverage, which it does pretty well actually. But due to the 2.4Ghz playing up now and then, I've put the 68 in AP mode now, and have separated the 2.4Ghz there, making it the same as it was before, the 86 2.4Ghz channel is now on its own, not really doing anything. Plan is to wait for the price to come down again, or more importantly, for them to get stock in.. they seem to be out a lot, I'll then replace and see if the 2.4Ghz issue goes away. I'll return the faulty then, as I think I got a dud. I've got till the 30th June to decide what to do.. live with a faulty 86U and let the 68U handle the 2.4Ghz work, or go back to my 68U alone till I decide where to go from there.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions