Groups

Dual Boot Windows?

Hi, I have bought a new computer running windows 10 and was wondering if I could put my old harddrive running windows xp and switch between them when needs be?

Thanks

26 Comments

Yeah no problems. You will need to adjust some boot up settings in your bios but its simple

Original Poster

Great Thanks for the reply, so xp will run with all stuff on it with no problems?

ame2607

Yeah no problems. You will need to adjust some boot up settings in your … Yeah no problems. You will need to adjust some boot up settings in your bios but its simple

Shouldnt be a problem at all

Original Poster

ame2607

Shouldnt be a problem at all

Great Thanks!

How old is the hard drive? You may have issues with the connectors, but you can get converters

Original Poster

ame2607

How old is the hard drive? You may have issues with the connectors, but … How old is the hard drive? You may have issues with the connectors, but you can get converters

Not too sure the computer is running windows xp so at least 5-6 years

Is it like a flat ribbon connection? If it is you will need a ide to sata cable.

Original Poster

ame2607

Is it like a flat ribbon connection? If it is you will need a ide to sata … Is it like a flat ribbon connection? If it is you will need a ide to sata cable.

not had time to open it yet, thanks I'll buy a converter if needs be when I open it up on the weekend
    Edited by: "rmantech" 16th Mar

This won't work at all, the drivers will be for the old PC and it's unlikely to boot, if it does expect loads of issues, Win 7/Win 10 might handle it a bit better but all will be upset by this. XP will fall apart.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

This won't work at all, the drivers will be for the old PC and it's … This won't work at all, the drivers will be for the old PC and it's unlikely to boot, if it does expect loads of issues, Win 7/Win 10 might handle it a bit better but all will be upset by this. XP will fall apart.

Thanks I am moving to windows 10, but surely its like installing xp on a new system?

Better off with a VM. You can run it on one PC once you have the software cloned.

Macrium Reflect and the VMWARE

filehippo.com/dow…er/

Edited by: "getmeone" 16th Mar

Is it just files you need off the XP HDD? if so, get a USB caddy, stick the HDD in the caddy then into your new computer. You'll have access to all files.

rmantech

Thanks I am moving to windows 10, but surely its like installing xp on a … Thanks I am moving to windows 10, but surely its like installing xp on a new system?

Which wouldn't work when that system is fifteen years newer than the XP install disk.
    rmantech

Not too sure the computer is running windows xp so at least 5-6 years

XP was released in 2001 and replaced with Vista in 2007.

Transferring a hard drive and expecting it to boot completely different hardware didn't work even on contemporary hardware. With hardware that's fifteen years newer even the install disks wouldn't work. This is an operating system so it's running the hardware, not just running on the hardware.

You can read the drive easily enough through windows 10 to copy files off it, but if you want to run the OS then your best bet is a virtual machine, having it run inside Windows 10 on illusory hardware.

The hardware is different and I believe XP will not run on it.

The physical side of connecting the hdd should not be too much of a problem.. possibly your XP HDD is an IDE drive.. I'd expect your new computer to be SATA. So that's the first obstacle. Then as stated XP installed on another machine will not simply boot up on new hardware. Due to many driver differences etc.
    You really would be better either installing XP onto a new partition on the new computer to ensure XP will actually run. then you have two choices copy your programs and data over to the new install or fit the drive and try and fix the driver issues as they appear.. (if that's possible)

however also stated on here is a vmware session.. I think that would be better.
    Edited by: "Dawsy" 17th Mar

XP isn't the most streamlined of beasts with every generic driver installed into it bloating it like the monster it is. I've hot swapped OSs between computers loads of times which ran if a little slow. Just swapped an atom netbook into a g2020 windows 10 anniversary, only issue is the netbook was 32bit and the g2020 is 64bit.
    Most drivers are generic and XP isn't too out of date at 2014.

You go into boot up priority in bios. Select the hdd you want. I have xp and win10 dual boot

ame2607

You go into boot up priority in bios. Select the hdd you want. I have xp … You go into boot up priority in bios. Select the hdd you want. I have xp and win10 dual boot

50 shades of wrong.
    The chances of getting an existing HDD with XP to run on a 'new PC' by doing just what you suggest are non existent.
    It'll take far more than that to get it booting, never mind if half the drivers can be found or not.

rmantech

Great Thanks!

Except it will be - please ignore ame2607

It works. They have to be booted with a little different settings in BIOS (IDE AHCI and Other OS Windows UEFI) and as first drive in the boot sequence.

When dual-booting, as general rule, you should disable fast boot in Windows 10. Fast boot settings can be changed in Power options(Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings - Change Settings that are currently unavailable - uncheck "Turn on fast startup

ame2607

It works. They have to be booted with a little different settings in BIOS … It works. They have to be booted with a little different settings in BIOS (IDE AHCI and Other OS Windows UEFI) and as first drive in the boot sequence.When dual-booting, as general rule, you should disable fast boot in Windows 10. Fast boot settings can be changed in Power options(Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings - Change Settings that are currently unavailable - uncheck "Turn on fast startup

OK - it worked for you. Did you have XP installled on the PC where you added another disk to run WIN10?
    The OP has an old XP disk from another PC - to be installed on a NEW PC. I am telling you now that this won't work. At all

Am with EndlessWave, Dawsy and getmeone here attempting to dual boot this, whilst physically possible, will just get you Blue Screens as XP's attempts to boot expecting different hardware without a fresh installation of XP.

You do not state, other than dual booting, what it is you are trying to achieve and what do you have in XP that you are missing in windows 10?

If it is file access then this is possible without needing to dual boot - either by adding the disk internally or buying an external USB disk enclosure (as others are saying you need to note you HDD spec in making this work).

If really wanting to replicate XP then Virtual Machine is the way to go although Iquestion what is it you have in XP that you are missing? Most people I know dual boot for completely different Operating Systems rather than different flavours of Windows.

If you have Windows 10 Pro then you have Hyper-V available to recreate XP in its own VM. If not using Windows 10 Pro then besides the ones mentioned above another option is Oracles Virtualbox.

Chkdsk comes on when swapping between os. My set up is custom built. I have win10, kali limux and winxp. Win10 and kali is on same hdd. Winxp is on a separate hdd.

VMWARE or as Bertz99 says Virtualbox. Here is a Step-by-Step guide.

lifehacker.com/520…box

ame2607

Chkdsk comes on when swapping between os. My set up is custom built. I … Chkdsk comes on when swapping between os. My set up is custom built. I have win10, kali limux and winxp. Win10 and kali is on same hdd. Winxp is on a separate hdd.

So great, glad it works for you
    It just won't work, taking an XP boot disk from an old PC trying to boot on a new one.
    Much work will be required due to changes over the years in PC architectures, if the necessary XP drivers can even be found....

You'll be amazing lucky for this to work, the usual thing to happen is a bsod.
    You could try a repair install but most hardware manufacturers do not support XP anymore so unless XP sets it up with generic drivers or you can find the drivers online for XP for the new PC then I'd forget it
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions