Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Ubuntu - help?

7 replies
Found 5th Sep 2009
Hi all

I have Windows 7 already on my laptop but I am also getting into Ubuntu (running a live CD at the moment)

I would like to set up a dual boot on my laptop but can only find tutorials about Ubuntu and W7 with Ubuntu loaded first.

Can find tutorials about Vista loaded first then Ubuntu after on dual boot.

BTW the laptop was originally Vista with W7 installed over the top if thet makes a difference.

So anybody out there running W7 and Ubuntu with W7 loaded first? Can you give me some guidance how to set up the dual boot?

thanks

EliTom

7 Comments

Im After Doing A Simlar Thing At The Mo I Have Win 98-se,win Xp,win Vista,and Win 7 On Individual Drives But With A Selector At Boot

it ought to be as simple as just installing ubuntu. it should put LILO/GRUB on your system and automatically configure it for you. but then if installation might not be aware of w7 so that could possibly be a problem. and w7 has that weird boot partition thing going on. i guess back up your w7 first, in case you nuke it, but it's probably ok.

bruffterman;6212187

it ought to be as simple as just installing ubuntu. it should put … it ought to be as simple as just installing ubuntu. it should put LILO/GRUB on your system and automatically configure it for you. but then if installation might not be aware of w7 so that could possibly be a problem. and w7 has that weird boot partition thing going on. i guess back up your w7 first, in case you nuke it, but it's probably ok.

IT WIPED MY MEDIA DRIVE,I TRIED TO PARTITION IT BUT IT FAILED AND WIPED THE DRIVE:x

I'm not an expert when it comes to Linux, so you may want to get a second opinion before you try anything I suggest but I have Win 7 and Ubuntu running on my netbook and can share my experience.

Firstly, I partitioned the netbook's hard drive into two (one 120GB partition, the other 30GB [unformatted space]). I first installed Windows 7 on the 120GB partition and then proceeded to install Ubuntu on the remaining space.

I would strongly advise against installing Ubuntu and then Windows 7 becuase 7 will replace Ubuntu's bootloader, no longer giving you the option to choose your OS at boot-time. This problem can be rectified by modifying the WIndows bootloader but thats a big pain the backside I hear.

Steps:
- Create a partition for Windows to live on (leaving enough free space for your ubuntu install)
- Install windows on the partition you created for it
- Install ubuntu in the remaining space, using the partition manager which comes up during installation to select the correct area of the hard drive to install (don't install it on your windows partition!)
- that shoould hopefully be it... ubuntu's bootloader (GRUB) should handle the rest

If you just lookup a guide for dual booting vista/ubuntu or xp/ubuntu and follow that, i think you'll be fine as the process of dual booting ubuntu+a windows OS should be the same for whichever windows version you are dual booting.

hth

Original Poster

oldmanhouse;6212212

I'm not an expert when it comes to Linux, so you may want to get a second … I'm not an expert when it comes to Linux, so you may want to get a second opinion before you try anything I suggest but I have Win 7 and Ubuntu running on my netbook and can share my experience.Firstly, I partitioned the netbook's hard drive into two (one 120GB partition, the other 30GB [unformatted space]). I first installed Windows 7 on the 120GB partition and then proceeded to install Ubuntu on the remaining space.I would strongly advise against installing Ubuntu and then Windows 7 becuase 7 will replace Ubuntu's bootloader, no longer giving you the option to choose your OS at boot-time. This problem can be rectified by modifying the WIndows bootloader but thats a big pain the backside I hear.Steps:- Create a partition for Windows to live on (leaving enough free space for your ubuntu install)- Install windows on the partition you created for it- Install ubuntu in the remaining space, using the partition manager which comes up during installation to select the correct area of the hard drive to install (don't install it on your windows partition!)- that shoould hopefully be it... ubuntu's bootloader (GRUB) should handle the restIf you just lookup a guide for dual booting vista/ubuntu or xp/ubuntu and follow that, i think you'll be fine as the process of dual booting ubuntu+a windows OS should be the same for whichever windows version you are dual booting.hth

Cheers oldmanhouse, that's basically what the tutorial I have read says

Will back up my W7 data and give it a try later

EliTom

I have also done the same. Just remember to create a partition before you start for linux. As mentioned, the GRUB bootloader is very good, and should take care of everything for you. (Im running Win7 and SUSE)

Original Poster

Well for all those who want to know

1. It works :-D

2. its really simple :w00t:

3. just follow this tutorial

apcmag.com/how…htm

Now got dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.04

just got to find a driver for my Brother MFC printer :?

EliTom
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition77883
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!77
    3. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…1111
    4. Win a trip to Dublin, with Ireland.com via Classic FM23

See more discussions