Groups

Dual-booting a pc with Vista + Linux - viruses?

Hi all, I'm about to partition the HDD on my PC in order to install Linux (Ubuntu) so that I can dual-boot with Vista. However, there's something I'm not sure about.

I know that viruses aimed at Windows OS are ineffectual against Linux, but I wonder is it possible that viruses can crossover between partitions so that the Vista partition becomes infected when I'm browsing with Linux?

I ask because if it's possible, then I suspect I'd be just as well browsing with Vista. However, if viruses can't cross partitions, then I'd be more than happy to browse when I'm using Linux.

Thanks in advance.

5 Comments

Without being a smart ****, the answer is just no, Virus code written for windows cannot execute successfully in a linux environment.

Banned

Heavertron;5632691

Without being a smart ****, the answer is just no, Virus code written for … Without being a smart ****, the answer is just no, Virus code written for windows cannot execute successfully in a linux environment.

browse in a virtual machine if it gets a virus then delete it and start again. :thumbsup:

Heavertron;5632691

Without being a smart ****, the answer is just no, Virus code written for … Without being a smart ****, the answer is just no, Virus code written for windows cannot execute successfully in a linux environment.

Yeah, what he said:whistling:

Was leaning towards windows 7 but tbh I think I'll switch back to ubuntu on my main pc and keep windows for the specific things linux won't work with.

Original Poster

[QUOTE=Was leaning towards windows 7 but tbh I think I'll switch back to ubuntu on my main pc and keep windows for the specific things linux won't work with.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'd prefer to do, browse on linux and only use Vista when I need to. Thanks and rep to you all; if thats that, then I'll go ahead and install Ubuntu. :thumbsup:

It will be fine as said, linux will have access to the NTFS partitions but the virus code wont work.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early11
      2. SCS add ons... are they worth it??22
      3. Wix Build Website Question, Domain transfer?34
      4. What do I do if item is damaged I bought on eBay.913

See more discussions