Dual Fuel Cooker Installation

Found 21st Dec 2015
Firstly, Merry Christmas to one and all!

Looking at upgrading Mrs O's cooker from a gas to a dual fuel cooker. Haven't pulled out the back to see whether it's compatible but I am assuming it won't be, haven't seen any switches to say that it is.

We have an extractor and the oven has electric going to it for the light (both plugged in to a double gang in a upper cupboard). Looking at getting quotes for the changeover and also installation of new cooker, any ideas on cost?

Any advice would be appreciated, I know absolutely nothing about this.

Thanks
Community Updates
AskCookerDual Fuel
18 Comments
When you say dual fuel you do mean Gas & electric dont you lol?
When you pull the cooker out you should see the wiring point on the wall behind it they are normally low down so you won't see it until its out or you lean in..I would be surprised if you've not got a connection for it
An electric cooker needs to be on its own circuit, If you don't already have electric for a cooker you will need a 40Amp cable running from you fuse box to the kitchen. Plus circuit breakers etc.
You will have to look at the specifications of your oven. Some ovens can be run off a plug these days. Many no longer require a specific 40 amp supply just for a cooker.
i have never heard of a dual fuel cooker, does it give you the option of using gas or electric at your convenience?

you will need to get a part P qualified electrician to install the electric cable from the consumer unit box to the cooker for the electric option. the electric supply you have for the clock and timer will not be appropriate for an electric cooker.

the electrician will need to notify building control of the new installation.
liamf12

You will have to look at the specifications of your oven. Some ovens can … You will have to look at the specifications of your oven. Some ovens can be run off a plug these days. Many no longer require a specific 40 amp supply just for a cooker.

+1
Exactly what he said
an oven for christmas that's almost as bad as an iron.
mutley1

i have never heard of a dual fuel cooker, does it give you the option of … i have never heard of a dual fuel cooker, does it give you the option of using gas or electric at your convenience?you will need to get a part P qualified electrician to install the electric cable from the consumer unit box to the cooker for the electric option. the electric supply you have for the clock and timer will not be appropriate for an electric cooker.the electrician will need to notify building control of the new installation.

Electric oven and gas hob.:| Pretty common TBH.
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Electric oven and gas hob.:| Pretty common TBH.

i have these but they are two separate components so they are not dual fuel but each component is single fuel.
mutley1

i have these but they are two separate components so they are not dual … i have these but they are two separate components so they are not dual fuel but each component is single fuel.

Well before the relatively new thing of individual components many people had a cooker. These usually consisted of a high grill, hob and oven. These then progressed into a hob and either one or two ovens with a combined grill.
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Well before the relatively new thing of individual components many people … Well before the relatively new thing of individual components many people had a cooker. These usually consisted of a high grill, hob and oven. These then progressed into a hob and either one or two ovens with a combined grill.

i tend to think of them as two separate items as they are that. they get installed separately and can be replaced separately. the single cooker where the hob and oven are one item are free standing and not integrated.

so i guess the OP is getting a gas hob fitted and an electric oven fitted instead of a free standing gas cooker. or did they used to have an integrated gas cooker and hob that were one item?
mutley1

i tend to think of them as two separate items as they are that. they get … i tend to think of them as two separate items as they are that. they get installed separately and can be replaced separately. the single cooker where the hob and oven are one item are free standing and not integrated.so i guess the OP is getting a gas hob fitted and an electric oven fitted instead of a free standing gas cooker. or did they used to have an integrated gas cooker and hob that were one item?

No its one unit, have you been in a cave all your life! oO

The old one will look the same as this but the oven will be gas. The new one wants to be electric.

http://content.ao.com/ProductImages/rvLarge/ch60dpxf_ss_cooker_fr_l.jpg
Edited by: "GAVINLEWISHUKD" 21st Dec 2015
GAVINLEWISHUKD

No its one unit, have you been in a cave all your life! oO

that is a free standing cooker. i have not seen one that has a gas hob and an electric oven before. only come across one that is all electric or all gas. didn't know they make them dual fuel.
Thanks for your feedback guys.

It's an electric oven and gas hob that we're looking at. Currently we are on gas oven and hob, so that's why we need (I assume) additional fixtures.

We are in a terraced house with our fuse box in the garage, but if that needs to be fed into the cooker then it's gonna involve a lot of drilling and this thread is basically about whether it's the type of job that will disrupt Christmas or whether I should wait until afterwards.
Ozzi

Thanks for your feedback guys. It's an electric oven and gas hob that … Thanks for your feedback guys. It's an electric oven and gas hob that we're looking at. Currently we are on gas oven and hob, so that's why we need (I assume) additional fixtures. We are in a terraced house with our fuse box in the garage, but if that needs to be fed into the cooker then it's gonna involve a lot of drilling and this thread is basically about whether it's the type of job that will disrupt Christmas or whether I should wait until afterwards.

i am confused about what you have. do you currently have a separate integrated gas hob and a separate integrated cooker? or do you have a free standing cooker as shown in the gavin's pic above?
I doubt you will get an electrician in prior to Christmas anyway. Yes it's major, expensive work.
mutley1

i am confused about what you have. do you currently have a separate … i am confused about what you have. do you currently have a separate integrated gas hob and a separate integrated cooker? or do you have a free standing cooker as shown in the gavin's pic above?

I don't mean to be rude, but given that you had never even heard of a dual fuel cooker, maybe you should bow out here.
therealslimkaty

I don't mean to be rude, but given that you had never even heard of a … I don't mean to be rude, but given that you had never even heard of a dual fuel cooker, maybe you should bow out here.

but the OP doesn't seem to be describing a dual fuel cooker but two separate items. oO
best thing to do is give the link and then we now the power rating and also how far is the fuse board to the kitchen. Most the work is getting the wire to the cooker itself from the fuse board. But if it doesnt require its own circuit they normally come with a plug but not always
Edited by: "kash2013" 21st Dec 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants