Groups
    EXPIRED

Dual Fuel Switch Can Save Me £556pa

My dual fuel deal with BG expires Dec'09. I was looking for another deal and using moneysupermarket & energyhelpline they both came up with First:Utility as the cheapest and a saving of £294. I checked the website and rang them up. They don't read meters they prompt you by email to give readings by email reply and pay you £20 a time up to 5 times a year (£100 saving). At the end of 12 months they then reward you with 12% refund on whatever you've spent with them that year, in my case that could be £162. Therefore altogether I could save £294 + £100 + £162 = £556pa. The tariff is called "isave dual fuel" and is non contract. They have another tariff based on smartmeters installed foc for a 2 year contract. These update the website direct so that you could go on line and monitor your electricty useage half hourly or gas useage daily (anorak). This is only available in the Midlands at the mo.
    I checked moneysavingexpert for reviews and they are mixed and seem more to do with availability of the smartmeters which was conceded by their customer services when I rang. Anyway as my BG tariff is "Price Guarantee December 2009" there might be thousands of others on the same deal who might benefit by looking into this.
    Oh and finally, go via Quidco and energyhelpline for another £14.
    first-utility.com/

10 Comments

mod

Moved to Misc as this deal will not be a deal for everybody

Pass.

I don't like First Utility or Utility Warehouse for that matter.

Heard some bad stories about them.

If you can get British Gas to match their price however, this is hot.

Banned

firstly the isave tariff is send a meter read every three months for £20 back, so that 4 times a year, not 5. so its £80 back plus 12-5% back
    secondly i can find no details about the tariff prices on the site, are they the same as the smart tariff?
    as for the smart tariff meters billing, it is purely 12.5% back a year, the tariff prices seem good apart from the daily standing charge, a 24 month contract, it doesnt sound great

That's £20 a year, not £20 each read as far as I can see?

"Meter Read Submission
    A minimum of one meter read every three months must be submitted for both electricity and gas in order to qualify for the annual credit of £20 to your account. For every three month period that meter reads are submitted a maximum of £5 can be earned which will be credited at the end of the 12 month period."

Banned

just out of curiousity i compare my last gas and leccy bill last night, my tariffs are way higher then these ones, yet still worked out cheaper than the above, as with the daily standing charge and just one discount it still worked out dearer than what i am already on and this is exactly how they get people, show the tariff is a third of yours and people will fall for it

Also, according to uswitch, Npower, British Gas, Scottish Power, Eon, Southern Electric and even OVO (whoever they are!) are all cheaper than this tariff. So much for being the cheapest dual fuel tariff!!!!!!

And they don't pay cashback either so that makes it more expensive than the others.

sassie;6306167

just out of curiousity i compare my last gas and leccy bill last night, … just out of curiousity i compare my last gas and leccy bill last night, my tariffs are way higher then these ones, yet still worked out cheaper than the above, as with the daily standing charge and just one discount it still worked out dearer than what i am already on and this is exactly how they get people, show the tariff is a third of yours and people will fall for it

Standing charge appears to be about £237 for the year.

Banned

Benjimoron;6306185

Standing charge appears to be about £237 for the year.

yep, people dont tend to see things like that, they see the tariff prices per khw and away they go

sassie;6306201

yep, people dont tend to see things like that, they see the tariff prices … yep, people dont tend to see things like that, they see the tariff prices per khw and away they go

Probably works out cheap if you use loads and loads, but a quick comparison on uswitch shows it to be pretty uncompetitive.

Banned

Benjimoron;6306214

Probably works out cheap if you use loads and loads, but a quick … Probably works out cheap if you use loads and loads, but a quick comparison on uswitch shows it to be pretty uncompetitive.

well i checked on my last bill, which was for 107 days and although summer bills, so my gas bill is the cheapest one of the year, my electric bill is always pretty much the same, as my heating is gas, so leccy same each bill, and even that was still cheaper with BG
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What will £250 get me second hand mobile66
      2. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother78
      3. Info on Browns Family Jewellers34
      4. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?77

See more discussions