Dualshock 4 shell?

Posted 25th Jul
Need a replacement DualShock 4 shell for my young lad. Anyone have any experience of them? eBay is full of them, although my guess would be the majority are fake. Would I be best to buy a faulty controller and use that shell?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
They’ll all be “fake”. Unless they’re taken from another DS4. It’s not as if Sony officially provide controller shells. But some of them will be better than others in terms of how close they are to the originals. And some of them may well be real but not official (OEM factories may “accidentally” overproduce). You can’t really tell until you’ve bought one.

I’d rather get a fake new one than a used real one. But some of them can be slightly off and don’t fit properly.
Edited by: "ra786" 25th Jul
ra78625/07/2020 09:50

They’ll all be “fake”. Unless they’re taken from another DS4. It’s not as i …They’ll all be “fake”. Unless they’re taken from another DS4. It’s not as if Sony officially provide controller shells. But some of them will be better than others in terms of how close they are to the originals. And some of them may well be real but not official (OEM factories may “accidentally” overproduce). You can’t really tell until you’ve bought one.I’d rather get a fake new one than a used real one. But some of them can be slightly off and don’t fit properly.

Thank you. Might just take a chance and get one. Suppose I could always return it free with PayPal if it’s rubbish
If it’s just a shell does it matter that it’s “fake”? As said above, Sony don’t sell controller shells so anything you are buying is going to be aftermarket. But it’s just going to be housing for the genuine internals that you have so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
Haircut_10025/07/2020 12:15

If it’s just a shell does it matter that it’s “fake”? As said above, Sony d …If it’s just a shell does it matter that it’s “fake”? As said above, Sony don’t sell controller shells so anything you are buying is going to be aftermarket. But it’s just going to be housing for the genuine internals that you have so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Yep, appreciate that. My concern is simply that a lot of plastic is poor quality, and can be thinner the the original. It that was the case I’d rather just flog the dodgy controller on eBay and buy a new one. Thanks though
Just buy a faulty one one ebay, make sure it's the right version either 1 or 2. Can tell by the colour of the buttons v1 are black v2 are like a grey colour. If you send a pic of your controller I'll tell you what you need.
I'm always buying DS4 on ebay fixing and selling them on
Toon_army25/07/2020 15:31

Just buy a faulty one one ebay, make sure it's the right version either 1 …Just buy a faulty one one ebay, make sure it's the right version either 1 or 2. Can tell by the colour of the buttons v1 are black v2 are like a grey colour. If you send a pic of your controller I'll tell you what you need.I'm always buying DS4 on ebay fixing and selling them on

Excellent, thank you! Definitely version 2, although I wasn’t aware of the button colour, so that’s a great tip! I’ve also got a version 1 with a broken stick, although think I messed that up desoldering it, as with a new stick fitted, nothing happens!
Diggsy25/07/2020 15:37

Excellent, thank you! Definitely version 2, although I wasn’t aware of the …Excellent, thank you! Definitely version 2, although I wasn’t aware of the button colour, so that’s a great tip! I’ve also got a version 1 with a broken stick, although think I messed that up desoldering it, as with a new stick fitted, nothing happens!

You need to use a heat gun not solder, that's why people go wrong with them.
If its stick drift or the L3 not click running you can clean the sensor
Toon_army25/07/2020 17:08

You need to use a heat gun not solder, that's why people go wrong with …You need to use a heat gun not solder, that's why people go wrong with them.If its stick drift or the L3 not click running you can clean the sensor

Ah, thanks again. I have a gas soldering iron that has a heat gun tip. If only I’d known that beforehand. Oh well, at least it was only a version 1 controller!
Diggsy25/07/2020 17:10

Ah, thanks again. I have a gas soldering iron that has a heat gun tip. If …Ah, thanks again. I have a gas soldering iron that has a heat gun tip. If only I’d known that beforehand. Oh well, at least it was only a version 1 controller!

Have you not thought about doing the back button mod kit? If you enjoy messing about with pads and stuff I put the kit on my channel the other week, just means you have extra buttons on the back to jump and crouch so you dont have to take your fingers off the anologs
Toon_army25/07/2020 17:23

Have you not thought about doing the back button mod kit? If you enjoy …Have you not thought about doing the back button mod kit? If you enjoy messing about with pads and stuff I put the kit on my channel the other week, just means you have extra buttons on the back to jump and crouch so you dont have to take your fingers off the anologs

Hadn’t even considered it. Will take a look though as my lad is getting into the FPS games lately.

Do you know if I can resolder the stick by the connections on the top of the board if that makes sense?...the side where the stick is
You can get them off replacebase.co.uk/sony/ in a load of different colours, probably slightly better quality than off ebay and they have a 12 month warranty
Neo160725/07/2020 18:00

You can get them off https://www.replacebase.co.uk/sony/ in a load of …You can get them off https://www.replacebase.co.uk/sony/ in a load of different colours, probably slightly better quality than off ebay and they have a 12 month warranty

Thanks for that
Diggsy25/07/2020 18:11

Thanks for that

No worries, they are quite reliable for their parts, I buy parts off them on an almost daily basis due to my work, console / phone / tablet parts, most of the stuff is OEM (produced in same factory as the genuine parts). But the aftermarket stuff like controller shells etc are normally high quality, I have bought quite a few Joycon shells off them and they always seem quite close to original quality, not like the cheap stuff off ebay
Neo160725/07/2020 18:14

No worries, they are quite reliable for their parts, I buy parts off them …No worries, they are quite reliable for their parts, I buy parts off them on an almost daily basis due to my work, console / phone / tablet parts, most of the stuff is OEM (produced in same factory as the genuine parts). But the aftermarket stuff like controller shells etc are normally high quality, I have bought quite a few Joycon shells off them and they always seem quite close to original quality, not like the cheap stuff off ebay

That’s great, thanks again. Always good to hear from someone’s past experience with things like this
Edited by: "Diggsy" 25th Jul
Diggsy25/07/2020 17:51

Hadn’t even considered it. Will take a look though as my lad is getting i …Hadn’t even considered it. Will take a look though as my lad is getting into the FPS games lately.Do you know if I can resolder the stick by the connections on the top of the board if that makes sense?...the side where the stick is

Not 100% what you mean by that, but the connectors if what I think you mean do them from underneath.
I tried inboxing you on here but you mustn't have messages enabled.
If you search Craigs Video Channel on YT I'll pop straight up, it was the last video I uploaded. Much better to have back buttons
Toon_army25/07/2020 19:06

Not 100% what you mean by that, but the connectors if what I think you …Not 100% what you mean by that, but the connectors if what I think you mean do them from underneath.I tried inboxing you on here but you mustn't have messages enabled.If you search Craigs Video Channel on YT I'll pop straight up, it was the last video I uploaded. Much better to have back buttons

Thanks again. What I meant was a couple of the solder points came off with the heat, so I was wondering if I could maybe either solder those from the other side (would be tight), or maybe solder some wire through the hole which would make the connection
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants