Groups

dublin: any tips??

hi all, me and a friend are booking a weekend to dublin for late june, any tips? who to fly with? best price? thur 28th june - mon 2nd july 2 adults, good cheap accomodation? i found one not far from dublin airport, what are public transport like, or cab fairs? whats there to do in dublin? things we should see? any info appreciated

40 Comments

[SIZE=2]Good choice Lou![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I went last March for a friend's 30th along with 4 other people! Great time![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]From what I remember (one or two many Guinesseseses!) this is what we did.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Flew from Bristol to Dublin by Ryanair - I think the flights were about £60-80 return, but don't quote me on that! Maybe £110! [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We stayed at the Skylon Hotel which was very nice. Breakfasts were about €10-18 (if it comes up as something else, the sign was the euros sign!) I think this was about £220 for a twin room. Nice enough for what we wanted, somewhere to stay basically! Flatscreen TVs! Tempted to take one back with me, but no! This was for no longer than 5 nights![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The taxi fare from the Airport to the Skylon was €18, so €3 each![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Taxis weren't too bad in all fairness. But get the bus tickets! Very good value for unlimited 3, 5 or 7 days! Don't think you are talking more than €20 for the 7 day one![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We all did a few things together, such as the Guiness Factory tour, book online to get it cheaper! We also went to the Jameson Distillery. Go on the tour, and if you like Whiskey, have your hand ready as they want 4 people to volunteer for tasters at the end! I did it and was glad I did! [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We were there when Ireland were playing Rugby, so the at the weekend it was packed! We were tempted to do things like do a tour of Croke Park, but never got round to doing it.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Go on the Open Top Tour Buses. Great way of learning about things you can do, and a very good way of getting about![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]It's bringing back so many memories I better stop as I really want to go again! [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I'll look for possible links etc when I get home, but I'm sure you'll have a great time! I'll also try and find out exact prices etc![/SIZE]

Original Poster

thanks it sounds great!, we will be there 4 nights so looking for best prices, basic room is fine aslong as its clean would prefer to fly from either gatwick (1st choice) or heathrow

I only mentioned Bristol as that's the nearest Airport to me! I wouldn't suggest flying from there though after all the bad publicity it's had of late! I know it's only 100 odd miles away, but I would imagine that distance would bump up the air fare!

I forgot to mention, we had a Scotsman playing the bagpipes at 10am on the morning ofthe rugby right outside the hotel! That wasn't the nicest thing to have as "background" music to getting ready for breakfast, eating breakfast and getting ready to go out! Add the honking of horns in "protest" and a few friendly (and unfriendly) insults and gestures and you are almost there!

Original Poster

right --- cheapest flights we can find is 28th june- 2nd july gatwick - dublin with ryanair for £115.60 for 2 adults, anyone beat that?

4 nights at days hotel for £340 for both, any one beat it?

do not stay in the days hotel, they are crap. the one in belfast has walls that are paper thin and you can hear what is going on in the next room, im still scarred :giggle:

dublin airport is a good 30-45 minutes outside dublin so i would get something more central. try bewleys in ballsbridge, really nice hotel at a reasonable rate as well and is a 10 minute bus ride from the likes of grafton street and st stephens green

Original Poster

mickyc1

do not stay in the days hotel, they are crap. the one in belfast has … do not stay in the days hotel, they are crap. the one in belfast has walls that are paper thin and you can hear what is going on in the next room, im still scarred :giggle: dublin airport is a good 30-45 minutes outside dublin so i would get something more central. try bewleys in ballsbridge, really nice hotel at a reasonable rate as well and is a 10 minute bus ride from the likes of grafton street and st stephens green

thank you i'll bear it in mind

loupomm, the cheapest i can find at the moment is ryanair for around £89 so far...

[COLOR="Red"]heres the details:[/COLOR]
    Thu, 28 Jun 07
    Flight 203 06:30 Depart London Stansted (STN)
    07:45 Arrive Dublin (DUB) (£43)

Mon, 02 Jul 07
    Flight 288 20:10 Depart Dublin (DUB)
    21:20 Arrive London Stansted (STN) (£46)

Original Poster

emasu

loupomm, the cheapest i can find at the moment is ryanair for around £89 … loupomm, the cheapest i can find at the moment is ryanair for around £89 so far...[COLOR="Red"]heres the details:[/COLOR]Thu, 28 Jun 07 Flight 203 06:30 Depart London Stansted (STN) 07:45 Arrive Dublin (DUB) (£43)Mon, 02 Jul 07 Flight 288 20:10 Depart Dublin (DUB) 21:20 Arrive London Stansted (STN) (£46)

thank you is this for both people?

Yes it is Book them as 2 singles

Original Poster

emasu

Yes it is Book them as 2 singles

thank you , tried to give you rep, wont let me yet, will do tho

Thanks for yuor kind feedback if you are prepared to fly from Birmingham to Belfast, and come back early on the morning of the 3rd July it is only £70 with bmibaby! Belfast is a great city, and is well worth a visit. You can then get a train to Dublin...

Thu, 28 Jun 07
    Flight 1021 06:50 Depart Birmingham (BHX)
    08:05 Arrive Belfast (Intl) (BFS)

Tue, 03 Jul 07
    Flight 1022 08:30 Depart Belfast (Intl) (BFS)
    09:35 Arrive Birmingham (BHX)

:w00t:

Original Poster

emasu

Thanks for yuor kind feedaback if you are prepared to fly from … Thanks for yuor kind feedaback if you are prepared to fly from Birmingham to Belfast, and come back early on the morning of the 3rd July it is only £70 with bmibaby!Thu, 28 Jun 07 Flight 1021 06:50 Depart Birmingham (BHX) 08:05 Arrive Belfast (Intl) (BFS) Tue, 03 Jul 07 Flight 1022 08:30 Depart Belfast (Intl) (BFS) 09:35 Arrive Birmingham (BHX) :w00t:

thats a great price but we need a local airport to us, or we will incur travel expenses there, so it has to be a london airport

OK, thats cool... shame bmibaby dont fly to dublin, its bmi itself who do

The cheapest i have found for hotels is £248 on lastminute.com this is one fo their mystery hotels, but just look at the features ]here

Stylish new hotel 15 minutes from city centre - 3* - Dublin
    Recently opened, fabulous 3* hotel with contemporary bar & restaurant. This hotel is only 10 min drive from Croke Park and 15 min from Dublin City centre. Fantastic service guaranteed. Complimentary hotel services include wi-fi throughout the hotel, daily newspaper and secure car parking

Original Poster

does that mean we wont know exactly where ew will be?, we really need to know in advance as we want to plan our trip as much as we can

i think once youve booked it you know where you are

Original Poster

oh thats not so bad then

Original Poster

thank you, love your avatar!

Isn't he just a yum :giggle:

hi,

I was in dublin for my birthday over dec 2006.

Ibis have a good deal right now. It is located in dublin west.

Outside the ibis hotel is a tram service that takes you into the city centre where the night life is, i.e. temple bar

The tram is really cheap also if you buy a day pass.

You can get to the ibis hotel also for cheap.

Get a 5 Euro bus ride to houston tram station from the airport, then take the tram to RED COW (red line) tram stop. Will only cost you around 8 Euro per person all in all to travel to the hotel itself.

This is what i did.

Zemme

Original Poster

thank you zemme

I stayed in that hotel in october 2006 zemme - it is great! And from my room (423) you could clearly see the planes going in and out of the airport. the tram line (just over the road) is luas [COLOR="Red"]red[/COLOR] line -and as mentioned the station is Red Cow. But be warned - if you are going to get the tram early in the morning, they are severly overcrowded. I was pushed up against a window! Apparantly though they are being extended by one car soon. They run about every 3 minutes, and take about 25 minutes. Youll be amazed how many people don't pay their fare - only saw 1 inspector and that was 7:00 am in the morning..

I WOULD DEFINITELY GO FOR THE IBIS DUBLIN WEST - JUST £208.84 FOR 4 NIGHTS!

Original Poster

jennybubbles

Isn't he just a yum :giggle:

oh yesssssssss

If you are into Irish music, I can totally recommend the Musical Pub Crawl !!

Go to the Oliver St John Gogerty Pub in Temple Bar, and they meet upstairs most weekday nights at around 7:30-8pm ish...

It's about €12 per person, and they take you round 6-8 pubs, with a talk about the history of Ireland, esp the music (flight of the Earls, O'Carolan etc), and play music in each pub.

A great bunch of world class musos play for you and you get an easy intro to Guinness

I played with them in the late 90's for a while (me/ plays Bodhran). Made a few quid and had great fun !

discoverdublin.ie/mus…tml

Original Poster

thank you for the info

[SIZE=2]Think you should maybe try the newspapers. ]belfasttelegraph.co.uk always has special offers in. If I get it this week, I'll have a look for you.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Dublin airport is a fair way out of Dublin. Maybe work considering getting the Bus to Belfast. Believe it or not, this 2hr coach journey is 7 Euro (About £4 - should be a hot deal) - Catch a night in Belfast also. We use £ Stirling and are much nicer people :).[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    ]http//ww…php

Pretty sure they will take you into Dublin City Centre too, but for the same price.

Original Poster

another question i wanted to ask is how is food price wise? we are on a tight budget and really need to know how much to expect to pay for evening meals, nothing flash, are there mcdonalds in dublin? lol

Original Poster

thank you mr tt

loupomm

there mcdonalds in dublin? lol

31 Actually lol

]http//ww…=96

Lots of overweight people too

Original Poster

mrtootough

31 Actually … 31 Actually lol]http://www.mcdonalds.ie/mcd/publisher/index.jsp?pID=93&nID=96#dublinLots of overweight people too

im not greedy, the one will do!

Original Poster

hi all, couple more questions if thats ok .... any help gratefully received

i only have a visa ELECTRON card with the woolwich, is this accepted in dublin? if so, widely?

what time do the pubs/clubs close? (important one that!)

i have a contract mobile on orange network, will i be able to use it in dublin?if so will my standard nokia charger fit the plug sockets?

is there a time difference?

will shops ect be open sunday?

i know ireland is not too far away and i feel REALLY silly asking these, but ive never been

time difference very important. Dublin at least ten years behind the UK

Watch out for the leprechauns !!!

With regard to the nokia, bring your own wind-up charger, Dublin ain't got electric yet.

and no need for a Visa, they still trade the old fashioned way, 1 horse for 10 guinness.

Original Poster

mrtootough

time difference very important. Dublin at least ten years behind the … time difference very important. Dublin at least ten years behind the UKWatch out for the leprechauns !!! With regard to the nokia, bring your own wind-up charger, Dublin ain't got electric yet.and no need for a Visa, they still trade the old fashioned way, 1 horse for 10 guinness.

see i knew someone would think im silly :cry:

Original Poster

mrtootough

time difference very important. Dublin at least ten years behind the … time difference very important. Dublin at least ten years behind the UKWatch out for the leprechauns !!! With regard to the nokia, bring your own wind-up charger, Dublin ain't got electric yet.and no need for a Visa, they still trade the old fashioned way, 1 horse for 10 guinness.

i wasnt being disrespectful, or insinuating ireland is 'behind' the uk in any way, ive simply not been before and i dont know if ireland adjust their clocks as we do, or have the late night pub opening, open sundays ect, and as for the visa, my card is an Electron, alot of places, even in the uk do not accept it and was hoping some one could tell me, all silly questions i realise. Apologise

Original Poster

? anyone ?

Public transport is good. There's a train called the "Dublin Dart" which connects all the suburbs to the City centre and is very cheap. Avoid it around rush hour though.

As you are going as "tourists" I'd recommend buying a ticket for one of the open top buses. They go around the entire city visiting all the places worth visiting and run about every 20 minutes. When we went it cost about £8 for the whole day and you can simply hop off one bus and then hop back on a later one.

Time is the same as UK time. Credit cards work there too but not sure about electron-best ring your bank before you go.

Mobile phones..mine have always worked but best to double check with your service provider.

Pubs do have defined opening times but not sure what they are. Usually you can find a pub that does a lock-in though. Clubs open late.

Plug sockets are standard UK ones. They drive on the left. The only thing that is substantially different is the money (They use Euros)

Dublin is a great place, you will enjoy it!

Original Poster

thank you Andytoys just the sort of thing i wanted to know

Most Dubliners are very friendly, if you get stuck ask a local. However, the Irish do like to chat so don't expect to get anywhere quickly.

As with all major cities keep your eye out for pick-pockets etc. Having said that Dublin is safer than most UK cities!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764190
      2. What do these 2 men have in common11
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846156
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1421

See more discussions