Dumping SKY TV, need recommendations for Freesat+HD box to replace my SKY+HD box

Found 27th Feb 2015
OK dumping SKY, need recommendations for Freesat+HD box to replace my SKY+HD box.

Or can I use the SKY+HD to at least watch the Freesat TV?

Or are there clever satellite box replacements available?

Must be HD and able to record.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.
Community Updates
17 Comments
Buy a openbox/f5 skybox.
Did the same myself in January, Sky are currently offering me 75% off for 6 months on a 12 month contract but going to hold out longer and see what they offer...
As to your original question, you can still watch MOST of the free HD channels as well as free non HD but obviously can't pause or rewind etc.
Not sure of any other box or PVRs you could try I'm afraid.
Aiden1512

Buy a openbox/f5 skybox.

openbox v8s all day long and a decent size USB dongle after a bit of practice your be fine.
You should definitely still be able to use the current equipment for FreeSat.
fmillington

Did the same myself in January, Sky are currently offering me 75% off for … Did the same myself in January, Sky are currently offering me 75% off for 6 months on a 12 month contract but going to hold out longer and see what they offer... As to your original question, you can still watch MOST of the free HD channels as well as free non HD but obviously can't pause or rewind etc. Not sure of any other box or PVRs you could try I'm afraid.

For some reason my old sky multiroom box can still record and rewind programs. Cancelled it years ago and I cant access sky channels but everything else still works. The recent sky engineer didnt believe me at first.
Angelus79

You should definitely still be able to use the current equipment for … You should definitely still be able to use the current equipment for FreeSat.

Not Freesat as such but Freesat from Sky, which is similar, but not the same.

No ability to record on Freesat from Sky without a valid subscription.
When I dumped Sky I got this - humaxdigital.com/uk/…135 from Richer Sounds and it's worked out very well. It's also incredibly easy to install (which was something I had been concerned about). It's not as good as the Sky box, but it seems none of them are. But you soon get used to it and getting rid of Sky will save you a fortune. I loved Sky but found that I could watch most of the shows I liked using Now TV and Netflix for much less. I held off switching for years, worried that I was going to lose so many good channels. But now i've done it (and worked out how much I'm saving) I would never go back to Sky.
Humax box is about the best but I ditched sky 12 months ago and bought myself a talktalk youview box brand spanking new off ebay for £60.00. About a third of the price of a humax. It records brilliantly. It has not missed one episode. Only 320gb but excellent and it has catch up for bbc1,2,3,4, itv, channel 5 etc. Great box and well worth the money. Model number is dn370t but I hear the dn372t is even better.
Love my Humax box, being using it for 8 years without a problem.
humax all the way
Original Poster
OK peeps, thanks for all the guidance, I'll check out all suggestions, sounds like i wont miss too much in leaving sky anyway as most my viewing is terrestrial plus Atlantic, with odd sports and odd movie.
Humax, brilliant box and saving paying a small fortune to the filth at Sky makes me very happy. Had mine for almost 2 years, never looked back. That said I only watch 1 TV show per week so I'm not a big TV person.
When you cancel your box will simply revert to a Freesat from Sky box.
don't buy sagam com as it records things at random, mine recorded some series nobody watches and we cant stop it. also freezes quite often. apart from that picture quality is good, and its quite easy to use.
I have gone back to sky though as they phoned me up after a month with a half price deal .
artnada

When you cancel your box will simply revert to a Freesat from Sky box.

When you cancel your box and everything on it becomes unwatchable.
Gball

When you cancel your box and everything on it becomes unwatchable.

except all the Freesat channels.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants