Dundee rental advice

Found 18th Mar
hey guys (people familiar with Dundee)

I'll be moving to Dundee come August to work in the hospital and am wanting advice please regarding what areas are good to stay in and if anywhere should be avoided.

I prefer modern accommodation and can be unfinished. unsure why but a lot of the properties seem to have electric cookers and electric heating.

can't see much at the moment on the market. would be grateful for any advice.

And would be good to know how you guys find the city in general?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments
Hi, have you looked at Gumtree Dundee gumtree.com/dundee? Quite a few rentals on there. Also Citylets at citylets.co.uk/fla…ee/ have really cheap places, including flat shares, but some of them are be a bit rough round the edges. Be suspicious if very cheap!
You could try Facebook groups, such as Facebay Dundee to ask if anyone has something to suit.
Will you be at Ninewells Hospital? There's an "express" bus service X7 and X8, which takes 30 minutes from the central bus station, and stops at either Hawkhill or West Port (studentland central). Check bus routes at dundeetravelinfo.com/bus…asp
Dundee's mad with double yellow lines, and no free parking centrally, but easy further out. The hospital parking can be brutal.
It's a friendly city and pulling itself up by the bootstraps, with the new V&A and other developments. Good live music and theatres, some great pubs and food places. Peope will speak to you (whether you want them to or not).An article in the paper by an incomer was headed "Did your Mammy never teach you not to speak to strangers?", as he'd got someone's life story, just waiting to cross the road.
There's a lot of deprivation still, mind you and as with any city there are homelessness and drug problems. Some areas are very run down. I think you might want to avoid bits of Dens Road, Hilltown, Lochee and Stobswell for instance.
I like Dundee a lot, lived there for years and still go there a lot for gigs, events and shopping. It's an easy commute as well, so look further out, too. The West End (Nethergate/Perth Road area) is home to the universities, Dundee Rep and DCA arts centre, and is popular.
Broughty Ferry is East End and thinks it's posh, but a bit fur coat and no knickers. Good pubs, though.
Minutes from the centre and you're by the river, in the country, nice walks etc. I hope you find what you want and have a great time.
Budget?

Size of property?

Public or private transport?

Rural or city?
Edited by: "andynicol" 18th Mar
Original Poster
andynicol1 h, 29 m ago

Budget?Size of property?Public or private transport?Rural or city?

£450
1 bed
Private transport
City

Kazaam11 h, 6 m ago

£4501 bedPrivate transport City:)

rightmove.co.uk/pro…tml

rightmove.co.uk/pro…tml

Expect a mix of older and young families, and both private owners and council tenants in this area.

Within walking distance of Ninewells Hospital, no nearby pubs if thats your thing, you'd need either bus or taxi into city centre/perth road area.
Parking in this area can be a nightmare although there's a permit scheme for householders.

rightmove.co.uk/pro…tml

Expect predominantly students living in this area.

Lots of pubs and eateries nearby, frequented mostly by the younger student population, although there are certain pubs which haven't changed over the years and retained character and still retain the older locals so a mixed group, lively area of the town and my own choice of pub crawl with the lads, popular with stag and hen nights.

Parking should be fine, but you may not get parked at the property and may involve a short walk.

10 mins car journey to the hospital.
Edited by: "andynicol" 19th Mar
rightmove.co.uk/pro…tml

Over budget at £500pcm.

I have no idea who the likely tenants of this block are, but its in a quite area, at this budget I'm guessing it may have young professionals and council tenants(?).

No nearby pubs, but its on a bus route, 5 minutes to city centre, or 5-10 minutes to Broughty Ferry which hold loads of pubs and similar to the West of the city (Perth Rd) is popular with stag/hen nights, but not so many students as its further from there area (students are predominantly in the West End), plenty pubs with character that haven't changed over the years, really busy especially over the weekend.

No problem with parking here, and its around 15-20 minutes car journey from hospital.
Original Poster
andynicol14 m ago

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-63032344.htmlhttp://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-63903859.htmlExpect a mix of older and young families, and both private owners and council tenants in this area.Within walking distance of Ninewells Hospital, no nearby pubs if thats your thing, you'd need either bus or taxi into city centre/perth road area.Parking in this area can be a nightmare although there's a permit scheme for householders.http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/map.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E452&maxBedrooms=2&minBedrooms=1&maxPrice=450&minPrice=100&numberOfPropertiesPerPage=499&radius=10.0&sortType=1&propertyTypes=flat&primaryDisplayPropertyType=flats&viewType=MAP&viewport=-3.10192%2C-2.92194%2C56.4292%2C56.4841Expect predominantly students living in this area.Lots of pubs and eateries nearby, frequented mostly by the younger student population, although there are certain pubs which haven't changed over the years and retained character and still retain the older locals so a mixed group, lively area of the town and my own choice of pub crawl with the lads, popular with stag and hen nights.Parking should be fine, but you may not get parked at the property and may involve a short walk.10 mins car journey to the hospital.

Thanks I'll probably go for something in the middle link. In the west end. Not a pubgoer but as I'll be moving to a new city it seems ideas and not a pubgoer but it's near the gym I'll be joining!
Maybe my expectations are too high of a modern or refurbished contemporary place in the west end. Then again probably out of my budget if it was available
Kazaam8 m ago

Thanks I'll probably go for something in the middle link. In the west end. …Thanks I'll probably go for something in the middle link. In the west end. Not a pubgoer but as I'll be moving to a new city it seems ideas and not a pubgoer but it's near the gym I'll be joining!Maybe my expectations are too high of a modern or refurbished contemporary place in the west end. Then again probably out of my budget if it was available

I've updated the link, I had linked a specific flat which didn't show on first attempt..

At that budget you won't get a modern flat anywhere in Dundee IMO.

To rent a newer flat, you'd be double that.

Most of the flats in the Perth Rd / West End, see a high turnaround of tenants, as there frequented by students and landlords mostly do the minimum to keep up appearances, although you may find a gem out there.
Original Poster
andynicol49 m ago

I've updated the link, I had linked a specific flat which didn't show on …I've updated the link, I had linked a specific flat which didn't show on first attempt..At that budget you won't get a modern flat anywhere in Dundee IMO.To rent a newer flat, you'd be double that.Most of the flats in the Perth Rd / West End, see a high turnaround of tenants, as there frequented by students and landlords mostly do the minimum to keep up appearances, although you may find a gem out there.

Certainly looks like it from my searches. This makes me think that the majority renting in the west end are students. Wonder where the professionals choose to stay.
Kazaam8 h, 12 m ago

Certainly looks like it from my searches. This makes me think that the …Certainly looks like it from my searches. This makes me think that the majority renting in the west end are students. Wonder where the professionals choose to stay.

Yes, as I said earlier, West End is predominantly students.

Where does daddy send his child? All comes down to his long-term plan, buy something to sell at a profit later or rent?

This one is popular with the more affluent of student ;

rightmove.co.uk/pro…tml

This one should show a decent profit, nice area of similar properties, very close to the hospital to catch high earners and potential to extend the property by converting the garage, as it stands I'd be surprised if it weren't valued circa £250k in 3/4 years.

tspc.co.uk/3-B…5JB
andynicol12 h, 27 m ago

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-63032344.htmlhttp://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-63903859.htmlExpect a mix of older and young families, and both private owners and council tenants in this area.Within walking distance of Ninewells Hospital, no nearby pubs if thats your thing, you'd need either bus or taxi into city centre/perth road area.Parking in this area can be a nightmare although there's a permit scheme for householders.http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-71661305.htmlExpect predominantly students living in this area.Lots of pubs and eateries nearby, frequented mostly by the younger student population, although there are certain pubs which haven't changed over the years and retained character and still retain the older locals so a mixed group, lively area of the town and my own choice of pub crawl with the lads, popular with stag and hen nights.Parking should be fine, but you may not get parked at the property and may involve a short walk.10 mins car journey to the hospital.

Spey Drive is okay for parking and handy walking distance to the hospital. What you save in hospital parking charges will likely pay for your gym membership! Buses are not bad, and you can get weekly or monthly tickets.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions