Duty, VAT on import of goods from USA [outside EU]

Found 3rd Aug 2017
So for anyone finding this thread here is the official info
gov.uk/gov…ers

But info there doesn't answer my question.
I'm ordering something from US that cost less than £15, but including postage [p&p], value of the order costs over £15.

And gov website is not clear enough about it - is it yet, free of extra charges or not?

I would appreciate info it will help me to know about your orders and if you could highlight do you order from outside EU or you know about it coz you understand the law behind it but do not order.

Thanks a lot.
2756535-S06gV.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:

• basic value of goods, plus
  • postage, packing and insurance, plus
  • any import (Customs or Excise) duties charged

You will also usually incur a fee of around £8 for the admin involved in the carrier clearing importation for you.
You pay VAT on services, such as delivery, as well as products, that applies both in the UK and to imports.

So yes, it's the total cost and not just the goods.
Original Poster
windym21 m ago

The value of the goods for import VAT is based

EndlessWaves14 m ago

You pay VAT

I got that, but:

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT? The limits for customs duty and import VAT are:

commercial consignments, that is, goods you have purchased, of £15 or less are free from Customs Duty and import VAT.

and this is why I'm asking.
I have seen info from around 2008 that postage is not calculated into total value for as long as value of goods is below £15 [at the time £18]

When it goes over - yes - duty, VAT is paid on everything alltogether
Edited by: "veni_vidi_emere" 3rd Aug 2017
They quantify what they call "goods value". The "goods value" is £15. That value includes postage and insurance.

I am not sure what you don't understand.

If your goods value *item plus postage/insurance - is less than £15 you won't pay.

If it is more, you will pay if they pick it up (they don't pick all imported items up for payment and some get through but that is a bonus) and your payment will be your fee of usually £8 plus the VAT element on the entire import value.
If the total of the goods purchased are under £15 then not vat is charged. If the value of the goods is over £15 then vat is charged on the goods and the postage.
Original Poster
@windym I would rather call p&p - a service, this is law and is open to interpretation - unless it is written somewhere black ink on white. I'm not a lawyer, so looking for people regularly ordering or knowing interpretation.

It's important to know otherwise something costing £15.01 will cost a lot more or abandoning order from US will bring unnecessary cost when ordering in EU.

@cdm22 have similar thought to mine
windym1 h, 14 m ago

The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:basic value of …The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:basic value of goods, pluspostage, packing and insurance, plusany import (Customs or Excise) duties chargedYou will also usually incur a fee of around £8 for the admin involved in the carrier clearing importation for you.

Royal Mail charge £11+
veni_vidi_emere50 m ago

@windym I would rather call p&p - a service, this is law and is open to …@windym I would rather call p&p - a service, this is law and is open to interpretation - unless it is written somewhere black ink on white. I'm not a lawyer, so looking for people regularly ordering or knowing interpretation.It's important to know otherwise something costing £15.01 will cost a lot more or abandoning order from US will bring unnecessary cost when ordering in EU.@cdm22 have similar thought to mine

I do import and whilst I'm not in the £15 bracket, the same principle applies.
Original Poster
grimm63rd Aug

Royal Mail charge £11+

Handling fee is £8 as for today. Anything more than that is duty/VAT whatever else. I'm just keeping card in hand with fees for item that costed over £15 plus delivery. At the moment i'M waiting for the item that costed less than £15 but morre than that if delivery included. I'll see on my own how it works out.

If this time I'll not pay any chrges I will order more single items and then I'll report back. It might take few months though.

@windym
veni_vidi_emere3 h, 12 m ago

Handling fee is £8 as for today. Anything more than that is duty/VAT …Handling fee is £8 as for today. Anything more than that is duty/VAT whatever else. I'm just keeping card in hand with fees for item that costed over £15 plus delivery. At the moment i'M waiting for the item that costed less than £15 but morre than that if delivery included. I'll see on my own how it works out. If this time I'll not pay any chrges I will order more single items and then I'll report back. It might take few months though.@windym

Good luck to you, My £11 was for a $26 Tee shirt.. lol
Original Poster
veni_vidi_emere9th Aug

At the moment i'M waiting for the item that costed less than £15 but morre …At the moment i'M waiting for the item that costed less than £15 but morre than that if delivery included.

2 separate orders, where goods were worth less than £15 [more if postage included] arrived without additional costs.
I'm ordering 3rd the same way now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Third same - no duty
Edited by: "veni_vidi_emere" 25th Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions