Groups

DV Camcorder VS HD mini SD recorder

Looking for some advice / opinion.

A have a 4 year old reasonably good spec SONY Mini DV Camcorder. This is a nice piece of kit and I have an 8 hour stamina battery for it. Its standard miniDV which I think is 720x576x25FPS

How does the video quality compare with the like of a Kodak Zi6 or Zi8 SD based camcorder ?

3 Comments

Very different solutions - the Zi6/Zi8 has a very, very basic interface (three buttons, a joystick and a switch) and the feature set is also limited, there's no zoom at all nor IS. It depends on your usage but I think it's quite a drastic change putting image quality aside.

John

I have a flip ultra hd-I would say the quality is better than an older camcorder,but obviously isnt going to compete with modern camcorders in hd. I have a canon camcorder bought 3 years ago and the flip is better-BUT-doesnt zoom as well as a camcorder would ,but close up,or within maybe 20-30 feet the quality is amazing.

really bought the flip as a "gadget" to take on holiday,not realising how good it would actually be-filmed our disney trip and the colours and sound and sharpness of picture on a 42 inch lcd is incredible for a device not much bigger than a fag packet.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7212254

Mini dv is better quality. Wait you mean SD as sd card or standard … Mini dv is better quality. Wait you mean SD as sd card or standard defintion?

I mean SD card based camcorders porporting to shoot in 720p or above

Johnmcl7;7212277

Very different solutions - the Zi6/Zi8 has a very, very basic interface … Very different solutions - the Zi6/Zi8 has a very, very basic interface (three buttons, a joystick and a switch) and the feature set is also limited, there's no zoom at all nor IS. It depends on your usage but I think it's quite a drastic change putting image quality aside.John

barky;7212304

I have a flip ultra hd-I would say the quality is better than an older … I have a flip ultra hd-I would say the quality is better than an older camcorder,but obviously isnt going to compete with modern camcorders in hd. I have a canon camcorder bought 3 years ago and the flip is better-BUT-doesnt zoom as well as a camcorder would ,but close up,or within maybe 20-30 feet the quality is amazing.really bought the flip as a "gadget" to take on holiday,not realising how good it would actually be-filmed our disney trip and the colours and sound and sharpness of picture on a 42 inch lcd is incredible for a device not much bigger than a fag packet.

Thats what I suspected - trying to resist a January sale purchase - like my zoom, good low light performance etc - but was keen to understand if £150 bought anything useful...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …84142
      3. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043
      4. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1111

See more discussions