Groups
    EXPIRED

DVD / Blue ray advise

I have bought a 1080 dvd player, is this the same as a blue ray player. In short will it play blue ray? thanks to all who reply, I tried looking on net for answer but its just not as straight forward as a yes / no from the helpful chaps at HUKD.

17 Comments

Nope, you need a blu ray player to play blu rays They are still very expensive >_>

What is the make/model number of your dvd player?

Original Poster

Oh....Not sure what the use is in a upscale dvd player as all you play is the same dvds, right? Its the silvercrest one from Lidl. only paid £15 as they were giving £5 vouchers for £30+ spend. So got mother one.

£15 was a good buy

Lol course it wont Why would anyone spend £150+ on a blu-ray player if they did.

Get a PS3 its the best blu-ray player avalible imo.

Original Poster

ah...Ruthless by name and by nature:oops:

Original Poster

While im on asking daft questions, will it play movies through its usb?:whistling: Queue Ruthless :-D

Burbs;5447126

Oh....Not sure what the use is in a upscale dvd player as all you play is … Oh....Not sure what the use is in a upscale dvd player as all you play is the same dvds, right? Its the silvercrest one from Lidl. only paid £15 as they were giving £5 vouchers for £30+ spend. So got mother one.

The use is purely to do with HDTVs.

If your Mum has a High Def TV, the upscaling DVD player will make better use of the high definition technology that's in the TV by displaying the content in an increased resolution.

Standard DVD resolution is 720 x 576, which can look pretty blocky on a HDTV. Once you start to output this at 1080i, edges look a lot smoother and the overall picture quality is improved.

Burbs;5447208

While im on asking daft questions, will it play movies through its … While im on asking daft questions, will it play movies through its usb?:whistling: Queue Ruthless :-D

No - the USB port on it will be to connect USB devices such as memory sticks etc which have images or movies on them.

Burbs;5447187

ah...Ruthless by name and by nature:oops:

Burbs;5447208

While im on asking daft questions, will it play movies through its … While im on asking daft questions, will it play movies through its usb?:whistling: Queue Ruthless :-D

Lol sorry :thumbsup:

Yeah it probably will. Does it say DIVX or XVID or AVI on it anywhere?

the porter;5447224

mind you the 1 u bought does it have a hdmi port i presume it does to … mind you the 1 u bought does it have a hdmi port i presume it does to output 1080

That's almost as daft as question as the OP's (no offence OP)!

If it's an upscaling DVD player, it'll have HDMI output.

Original Poster

Super laymans answer! thanks for that, I thought I had wasted my money (all £15) for a sec. Yeah we both have 50 inch ones so a good buy:thumbsup:

Original Poster

RuthIess;5447230

Lol sorry :thumbsup:Yeah it probably will. Does it say DIVX or XVID or … Lol sorry :thumbsup:Yeah it probably will. Does it say DIVX or XVID or AVI on it anywhere?

it says xvid, will that help?

Original Poster

the porter;5447271

i just wondered for £15 :thumbsup:

It surprised me too - upscaling DVD players have REALLY come down in price now.

It's shocking to think the first DVD player I bought (Samsung DVD-709) cost me £180 ..... :?

Burbs;5447270

If you have flash drive download a xvid film and dump it on there and see what happens :thumbsup:

Burbs;5447282

Yep, per my previous post it will allow you to put xvid/divx encoded movies onto a USB stick and watch them directly off it.

Original Poster

Well as usual everyones advise has been GREAT!! thanks all I understand a lot more about it now, if I have any more queries I'll be sure to ask:-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4422069
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread418214169
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…26117
      4. Samsung Note 8811

See more discussions