Groups

DVD rip + Encode and a ram upgrade

I rip a lot of dvds and encode them to mp4 to store on my streaming drive, however tthe process takes about 6 hours per film (rip + 2 pass encode at 1650 kbps)

now im running a C2D E6300 and 2gb PC6400 Ram + Vista.
    Rip with Anydvd encode with handbreak.

If i upgraded to 4gb would i see a significant difference in encode speeds?

12 Comments

seeing as your pc prob uses about 1GB ram doing nothing, it can only help to upgrade it.

Banned

6 hours to rip???

wth!!

give us full specs u have now....

Original Poster

kapows;6628258

6 hours to rip???wth!!give us full specs u have now....

rip and do a 2 pass encode (not just rip :P)
    well i suppose 6 hours for a longer film, its about 4.5-5 hrs i guess normally, but often up to 6 hours total process.

E6300 c2d
    2gb pc6400 ram
    x1900XT
    couple of Sata HDDs

would i see a SIGNIFICANT increase with a ram upgrade?

Banned

Jetpac;6628363

rip and do a 2 pass encode (not just rip :P)well i suppose 6 hours for a … rip and do a 2 pass encode (not just rip :P)well i suppose 6 hours for a longer film, its about 4.5-5 hrs i guess normally, but often up to 6 hours total process.E6300 c2d2gb pc6400 ramx1900XTcouple of Sata HDDs

seriously, that is long! do you have a link to that G.card for more specs on it pls?

well i dunno, if ram is cheap then buy some anyway....buy the good ram not the cheap make ones. vista can only handle somethin like 3.42 ram anyway which is why most people stick with 4gb on vista or xp

Banned

actually, how long does it take on this new system the e6300 one> you have tried on it yes?

Original Poster

How long should it be taking?

im encoding at 1650 kbps, 2 pass, h.264 with high quality sound. gives me a file size of approx 1.3gb average.

The GFX card is this: ]http//at…tml
    ive never tried it on any other system

The Ram won't do much, your bottleneck is your processor.

Banned

blimey! 6 hours

something seriously wrong with your system

mine takes about a 20 mins to rip and an hour to encode (core2duo 1,8ghz/2gb/vista)

adding memory wont make any difference

gfx card is irrelevant

Original Poster

csiman;6629140

blimey! 6 hourssomething seriously wrong with your systemmine takes about … blimey! 6 hourssomething seriously wrong with your systemmine takes about a 20 mins to rip and an hour to encode (core2duo 1,8ghz/2gb/vista)adding memory wont make any differencegfx card is irrelevant

what are you encoding with and what settings do you use?

what could be the issue as to why it takes so long? anyone got any ideas i could try?

Banned

Jetpac;6629685

what are you encoding with and what settings do you use?what could be the … what are you encoding with and what settings do you use?what could be the issue as to why it takes so long? anyone got any ideas i could try?

dvdshrink to rip - 15 mins for 90min film on dvd

xvid4psp (x264 HQ Turbo, AAC-LC ABR 128K) - just took 45 mins to encode a 90 min film

Original Poster

csiman;6629870

dvdshrink to rip - 15 mins for 90min film on dvdxvid4psp (x264 HQ Turbo, … dvdshrink to rip - 15 mins for 90min film on dvdxvid4psp (x264 HQ Turbo, AAC-LC ABR 128K) - just took 45 mins to encode a 90 min film

what bitrate and what is your average final file size?
    Are your films full sized?

Im ripping teh films from the DVDs then ripping them in full aspect for playback on a 32" LCD

Original Poster

How do you bath encode a load of movies with xvid4PSP?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card66
      2. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine54
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…88
      4. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO22

See more discussions