Groups

dvd ripping

Hi i have just got a new in car dvd player which as a usb port im looking at putting some of my daughters dvd's on to a stick as the dvds end up getting damaged in the car and can be messy.
    I am running dodgy old vista and some programmes have compatibility issue s does any one know of a free down load i can use for ripping dvd's so i can put them on my stick there was a link on here for xilisoft but that toke ages then told me it would only do first 5 mins or somethink inless i upgraded so no good to me i have also downloaded nero light as thats free but if you want to rip you have to pay for the full version

So im struggling here ive tried looking but to no avail any help would be much appreciated is there is not a free one then one that i wont have to save for as times are very tight many thanks

14 Comments

Banned

When i asked about dvd ripping someone told me to get magic dvd ripper, it works well too. so go for that. But i cant remember wether it was a torrent download.

try DVD fab you should get it on a torrent lastest version is 6 but i,m using 5 and it works great for ripping and shrinking

csiman;8219708

use handbrake - no need to torrent for illegal … use handbrake - no need to torrent for illegal softwarehttp://handbrake.fr/guidehttp://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/handbrake/index.shtml

Or fairusewizard.com/lan…tml

either way you'll be taking mpeg2 to avi* as you will not be putting *.vob or mpeg2 to usb pen I don't expect.

What model is the player for the car ?

Original Poster

dontasciime;8220824

Or … Or http://fairusewizard.com/lang_en/fairuse_wizard_dvd_divx_xvid_backup_tool_light_edition.htmleither way you'll be taking mpeg2 to avi* as you will not be putting *.vob or mpeg2 to usb pen I don't expect.What model is the player for the car ?

xenta i thinks its e buyer own brand
    vob or mpeg2 to usb dont i just drag and drop on to stick sorry ive no expereince in this !!!

shamus1975;8222005

xenta i thinks its e buyer own brand vob or mpeg2 to usb dont i just drag … xenta i thinks its e buyer own brand vob or mpeg2 to usb dont i just drag and drop on to stick sorry ive no expereince in this !!!

you can just drag and drop files you have like avi depending on what the player plays but I would say not vob and not mpeg 2.. (you will need a 4gb flash pen and above for those files even if you player recognises them.

ebuyer.com/sea…956

any of these 3 or a one specifically designed for car use. As cannot seem to find one of those on ebuyer site

anyways AS they all seem to play divx etc . You can drag stuff already converted to divx/mp4/xvid/avi etc and if they have been encoded properly or your player fully supports them they should work.

If you wanted to turn your own DVDs which are MPEG2 into divx/xvid/mp4 etc you will need to use the links provided to you above for either r handbrake or fairuse.

dvdshrink will rip a dvd and reduce the filesize, removing unneeded menus, languages etc.

shanecr;8222244

dvdshrink will rip a dvd and reduce the filesize, removing unneeded … dvdshrink will rip a dvd and reduce the filesize, removing unneeded menus, languages etc.

you could but will still be around 4 gig and they want to play the files from A usb pen connected to a car dvd player (not from disc)

dontasciime;8222266

you could but will still be around 4 gig and they want to play the files … you could but will still be around 4 gig and they want to play the files from A usb pen connected to a car dvd player (not from disc)

not really, you can specify a file size to aim for. makes it easier to convert after that. i used to use nero to convert, and ripping with dvdshrink first always got a quicker result for me

Original Poster

dontasciime;8222054

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&q=xenta&subcat=1956any of these 3 or … http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&q=xenta&subcat=1956any of these 3 or a one specifically designed for car use. As cannot seem to find one of those on ebuyer siteanyways AS they all seem to play divx etc . You can drag stuff already converted to divx/mp4/xvid/avi etc and if they have been encoded properly or your player fully supports them they should work.If you wanted to turn your own DVDs which are MPEG2 into divx/xvid/mp4 etc you will need to use the links provided to you above for either r handbrake or fairuse.

this one just noticed its gone up as well since i brought it quite a bit glad i brought it when i did
    ebuyer.com/pro…553

shanecr;8222289

not really, you can specify a file size to aim for. makes it easier to … not really, you can specify a file size to aim for. makes it easier to convert after that. i used to use nero to convert, and ripping with dvdshrink first always got a quicker result for me

yes really (when your target is 4400Mb)

Shrink will only let you go down to a certain level of compression anyways (1st pass)an besides which this is not they way to convert to another format, especially as converting to another format is lossy in the first instance. Why would you want to make the original files worse quality to then make them worse again

If you wanted really fast conversions with appalling visuals just specify a very low bitrate on a poor codec

Anyways as above they want to play them off usb otherwise they would have surely asked how to copy DVDs

Original Poster

dontasciime;8222731

yes really (when your target is 4400Mb)Shrink will only let you go down … yes really (when your target is 4400Mb)Shrink will only let you go down to a certain level of compression anyways (1st pass)an besides which this is not they way to convert to another format, especially as converting to another format is lossy in the first instance. Why would you want to make the original files worse quality to then make them worse againIf you wanted really fast conversions with appalling visuals just specify a very low bitrate on a poor codecAnyways as above they want to play them off usb otherwise they would have surely asked how to copy DVDs

yep bang on play on usb as tidier and dont have to keep backing up disc and burning new ones when they get scratched .
    Thanks all

tbf though you did mention or even call the title dvd ripping
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1424
      3. love affairs1548
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions